What is Your Favorite Soups you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

One of the best soups that I had on board the QM2 was the Consomme with Sherry with Crepe Strips.

Also at time they will offer Chilled Fruit Soups. I know they are normally expected on Caribbean sailing with hot weather.

I generally prefer hot soups to chilled and really enjoyed oxtail soup on two different cruises.

That being said I found several chilled soups like cucumber, vichyssoise, and borscht very enjoyable that I would have not necessarily tried on land.  I also tried a chilled strawberry soup that I liked and finished but wouldn't order again if there were other options.

Soup is really one of my favorite type of dishes in general and rarely run into one that I don't like at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I generally prefer hot soups to chilled and really enjoyed oxtail soup on two different cruises.

That being said I found several chilled soups like cucumber, vichyssoise, and borscht very enjoyable that I would have not necessarily tried on land.  I also tried a chilled strawberry soup that I liked and finished but wouldn't order again if there were other options.

Soup is really one of my favorite type of dishes in general and rarely run into one that I don't like at all.

Oxtail Soup is a special one I have had in the past with Sherry added and the julienne sliced crepes.

Vichyssoise is special. I compare the ones on board with the style I make at home. Hate when restaurants call it Potato & Leek Soup...

I do not care even in restaurants and sailings when they do not stir the bottom of the pot and the soup is very salty, spicy or too much herbs flavoring.

I enjoy dishes prepared and taste the way they are meant to be.

Holland America Line's soup Chefs consistently make a Dutch Pea Soup that is always delicious.  Whether it is offered on deck while sailing in a cold climate or in the MDR or Lido Restaurant, it never fails to disappoint me.  

17 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I forgot to mention French Onion soup is one of my favorites even on land 

Never had Onion Soup on board.....have to try it next time.

Depends on the Toasted Bread or Croutons and the Cheese they use to top it off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Never had Onion Soup on board.....have to try it next time.

Depends on the Toasted Bread or Croutons and the Cheese they use to top it off.

On HAL, I have had Onion Soup in their Pinnacle Grill that was quite different, and better, than what was served in the MDR.  

The same is true with Escargots.  MDR's offerings differ from the PG's, and those differ from the offerings in Rudi's Sel de Mer.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

On HAL, I have had Onion Soup in their Pinnacle Grill that was quite different, and better, than what was served in the MDR.  

The same is true with Escargots.  MDR's offerings differ from the PG's, and those differ from the offerings in Rudi's Sel de Mer.  

Ha.....Pinnacle Grill..knew it well.....

Washington State Oversized Baked Potato w Sour Cream...Steak with various sauces...My Preference is aways Bearnise. 

Quite a restaurant HAL has

3 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Washington State Oversized Baked Potato w Sour Cream...Steak with various sauces...My Preference is aways Bearnise.

That's my usual order.  A side of Asparagus or Mushrooms usually are added.  Have you been able to try Sel de Mer either as a stand alone venue or as a pop-up?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That's my usual order.  A side of Asparagus or Mushrooms usually are added.  Have you been able to try Sel de Mer either as a stand alone venue or as a pop-up?  

My favorite is Maldon from Essex UK..First taste in a local restaurant and sold. Get it from Amazon and take it to restaurants than iodized salt from supermarkets. Maldon is our house salt from now on. Unique flavor..

9 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

soup on a cruise.... generally no,,, had french onion soup once... ever again.... well it had some onions, but that was about it

Soup  for me    my homemade pea and ham thank you,  served with buttered toast.

Would think a cruise ship with good beef would use their bones for the onion soup broth. Should be quite tasty. Again, must try french onion soup on board.

Ditto for a good split pea soup using smoked ham hocks as flavoring. Little shot of worcestershire sauce I like to add. Oh, home made croutons I like to add also.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Would think a cruise ship with good beef would use their bones for the onion soup broth. Should be quite tasty. Again, must try french onion soup on board.

Ditto for a good split pea soup using smoked ham hocks as flavoring. Little shot of worcestershire sauce I like to add. Oh, home made croutons I like to add also.

Love oven roasted marrow bones for broth.

while you have the oven on, gotta make your own croutons!

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 5:45 PM, seamus69 said:

I forgot to mention French Onion soup is one of my favorites even on land 

French onion soup...must be made with good beef stock.  The last onion soup I had was on MSC and it didn’t even taste like onion soup.  I’ve seen it on RCI buffets and wouldn’t go near it.  Onion soup needs to be prepared in the traditional manner and finished under the salamander with gruyere over a properly toasted crouton.  Anything less is not French onion soup.

3 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

French onion soup...must be made with good beef stock.  The last onion soup I had was on MSC and it didn’t even taste like onion soup.  I’ve seen it on RCI buffets and wouldn’t go near it.  Onion soup needs to be prepared in the traditional manner and finished under the salamander with gruyere over a properly toasted crouton.  Anything less is not French onion soup.

I love it when the salamander cooks the cheese as it runs down the side of the crock!

2 hours ago, seamus69 said:

"while you have the oven on, gotta make your own croutons!"

A Good Extra Light Olive Oil, Fresh Garlic and 3 day old Country White Loaf with crust cut off. Cut not too large and not too small. After the garlic gave the oil the scent I remove the garlic and toss in the Bread. 375 oven and toss cubes after about every 8 minutes. Towards the end a slight toss of dried thyme and dried dill. (These were from my last year's herb garden). Then maybe once more till cubes golden brown. We like to use them for soups and especially salads.

Fresh made, storaged in air tight container last for quite some time.

We use to know of a old style diner that use to cut up old rye bread and deep fry them. Use to use it for their Pea soup.

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

A Good Extra Light Olive Oil, Fresh Garlic and 3 day old Country White Loaf with crust cut off. Cut not too large and not too small. After the garlic gave the oil the scent I remove the garlic and toss in the Bread. 375 oven and toss cubes after about every 8 minutes. Towards the end a slight toss of dried thyme and dried dill. (These were from my last year's herb garden). Then maybe once more till cubes golden brown. We like to use them for soups and especially salads.

Fresh made, storaged in air tight container last for quite some time.

We use to know of a old style diner that use to cut up old rye bread and deep fry them. Use to use it for their Pea soup.

Excellent rendition BB.  I like to cube an Italian bread loaf and pan fry the cubes with butter and olive oil tossing them then throw in the herbs, Italian seasoning works for me.  I find thyme is too harsh.  Just as the cubes are finishing sprinkle on some grated Romano cheese and toss some more.  For the onion soup I slice French bread and do the same for a big crouton.  Then I ladle the onion soup into a crock, top it with the crouton and place the cheese...preferably grated gruyere but baby Swiss works in a pinch.  Place the crock under the broiler/salamander until the cheese bubbles and “runs down the side of the crock” (Thanks Seamus).  Using a properly prepared crouton really improves the finished soup.  

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Excellent rendition BB.  I like to cube an Italian bread loaf and pan fry the cubes with butter and olive oil tossing them then throw in the herbs, Italian seasoning works for me.  I find thyme is too harsh.  Just as the cubes are finishing sprinkle on some grated Romano cheese and toss some more.  For the onion soup I slice French bread and do the same for a big crouton.  Then I ladle the onion soup into a crock, top it with the crouton and place the cheese...preferably grated gruyere but baby Swiss works in a pinch.  Place the crock under the broiler/salamander until the cheese bubbles and “runs down the side of the crock” (Thanks Seamus).  Using a properly prepared crouton really improves the finished soup.  

CGT

Our Thyme is ours from last year's garden and mild when dried. Really not a cheese person for CT's.

Cheeses I like for melting Muenster, Provolone, Fontina, Gruyere are flavorful.

15 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT

Our Thyme is ours from last year's garden and mild when dried. Really not a cheese person for CT's.

Cheeses I like for melting Muenster, Provolone, Fontina, Gruyere are flavorful.

okay now you've done it!  melty cheeses makes be think of fondue!

Gruyere, Swiss, and a little white wine...accented with a little dry mustard and nutmeg!

9 hours ago, seamus69 said:

Gruyere, Swiss, and a little white wine...accented with a little dry mustard and nutmeg!

Made it all the time.......Crusty French Bread Cubes...

We don't put dry mustard or nutmeg. We do put Kirsch to flavor.. A bit Cornstarch.

Gruyere and Emmentaler we use.

12 hours ago, seamus69 said:

Now you’re talking “the good old days” Seamus.  The time when our doctors didn’t affect our eating habits LOL.  I remember fondue being very popular in the 1960’s!  Everyone loved fondue...until our cholesterol numbers started to climb...LOL.

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Now you’re talking “the good old days” Seamus.  The time when our doctors didn’t affect our eating habits LOL.  I remember fondue being very popular in the 1960’s!  Everyone loved fondue...until our cholesterol numbers started to climb...LOL.

I think I will drag my fondue set out of moth balls and use it next weekend.  going away this weekend.  I try to limit my bread consumption, being diabetic, but can splurge once in a while. 

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Made it all the time.......Crusty French Bread Cubes...

We don't put dry mustard or nutmeg. We do put Kirsch to flavor.. A bit Cornstarch.

Gruyere and Emmentaler we use.

We used a bit of corn starch too and kirsch.  I never understood the idea of the kirsch but I felt like something was missing when it wasn't in there!

DW gave me a smaller version of Fondue Pot we have to start to use.

We even use to make a broth type of fondue that we use to dip different meats in and had about 5 different sauces to dip in afterwards.

What a treat...... Fondues are for winter months but we think Fondues are year round.

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:
1 hour ago, seamus69 said:

I think I will drag my fondue set out of moth balls and use it next weekend.  going away this weekend.  I try to limit my bread consumption, being diabetic, but can splurge once in a while.

As all say, everything in moderation can be enjoyed.

Also I too have to watch Carbs. Prone to weight gain.