What is Your Favorite Soups you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have to watch the carbs not only for the weight but Type 2 Diabetes.......I actually cannot remember the last time I had a potato. 

We talked about that subject - potato today with DW.. Even slice of bread was avoided. 

Caused by the over eating wrong items (Italian, Fried Chicken & Items and Chinese) during pandemic threw A1C from 6.4 to 6.9 threatening medications. After three months diet watch got A1C to 5.6.

Know others were varied also during this period. So need to watch and will be given a break to eat regular food in moderation.

16 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We talked about that subject - potato today with DW.. Even slice of bread was avoided. 

Caused by the over eating wrong items (Italian, Fried Chicken & Items and Chinese) during pandemic threw A1C from 6.4 to 6.9 threatening medications. After three months diet watch got A1C to 5.6.

Know others were varied also during this period. So need to watch and will be given a break to eat regular food in moderation.

6.9 is not even bad.....they say as long as it is under 7 it is ok.  I try not to eat any fried foods anymore.

But I am on meds.......I take 1 pill per day so not bad.  I keep thinking about my upcoming cruise and if I want to treat myself occasionally, I will.  And remember, there is always sugar in those drinks. 

29 minutes ago, Lois R said:

6.9 is not even bad.....they say as long as it is under 7 it is ok.  I try not to eat any fried foods anymore.

But I am on meds.......I take 1 pill per day so not bad.  I keep thinking about my upcoming cruise and if I want to treat myself occasionally, I will.  And remember, there is always sugar in those drinks. 

Agree with 7. Close friend my MD and cares for me. I too not too much fried food only during Pandemic. And regularly once every 2-3 months.

I have a land trip coming up and thinking about that. Also 15 months till the sailing.

In The Same Boat As YOU!....lol 

On 6/13/2021 at 2:52 PM, Lois R said:

Years ago I had some wonderful chilled soups on Celebrity.

I enjoy chilled soups as well.  When I sailed on Celebrity Eclipse, the ones that I tried were well prepared.  Don't recall what they were, however.

HAL Chefs' make good chilled soups as well.  Gazpacho is my favorite.  

On 6/13/2021 at 6:00 PM, Lois R said:

Lose some weight and get off the pill.  As long as you are taking the pill they label you diabetic.  Most people can lose the weight and lose the pill.  You’d be amazed what the loss of 10 lbs can do for A1C.  

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Lose some weight and get off the pill.  As long as you are taking the pill they label you diabetic.  Most people can lose the weight and lose the pill.  You’d be amazed what the loss of 10 lbs can do for A1C.  

Hi,🙂...get off the pill? Do you know what I am supposed to take? I check my glucose every morning and it has been running in the good range (thankfully).  You mean just go off the medicine without speaking to the Dr? I have a very hard time losing weight..........sorry, your post sort of sounds judgy.....you have never sounded like that to me before.☹️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Recently lost 27 and took A1C from 6.9 to 6.2 due to much good living and grazing wrong items during pandemic.

Want to get to below 6. Was threatened with pill 3 months ago but my MD, good friends, gave we a chance. Don't want the Big D on my history. Big D took my grandmother's life and Mom was too but diet got her off pill earlier on. Rest life diet and moderation.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi,🙂...get off the pill? Do you know what I am supposed to take? I check my glucose every morning and it has been running in the good range (thankfully).  You mean just go off the medicine without speaking to the Dr? I have a very hard time losing weight..........sorry, your post sort of sounds judgy.....you have never sounded like that to me before.☹️

The past three months has been very hard to conform to a diet routine. First of all there was No Carbs.

Next eat a lot of sugar free allowed candies. SF items from bakery. Non sugar drinks. A lot of work and effort. Next will be exercise and continue watching food. Want to get to 6 and lower... 

I have been borderline diabetic for years.  The A1C test has always been better than any other test that has been done.

If I get the news that I am diabetic, my reaction will be:  so what?  At this stage of my life--it's the Winter stage--I am not willing to change my diet.  Take a pill?  OK.  It will be among the others.  An injection of some type of medication?  No.  Not going to do that.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Trying to get the thread back on track:  Tomato Bisque is a soup that I always enjoy but rarely see on a ship's menu.  What's your experience?  

MSC always offers tomato bisque…and they do it very well.  Lobster bisque seems to be the most maligned onboard most ships.  They simply don’t know how to make it.  You need real lobster and real lobster shells…cannot be made out of a jar.

On 6/22/2021 at 5:35 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

MSC always offers tomato bisque…and they do it very well.  Lobster bisque seems to be the most maligned onboard most ships.

I am going to need to review my Meraviglia menus, but I don't recall Tomato Bisque being offered during my cruise.

I agree with your thought about Lobster Bisque.  And, not only on a ship.  I order the soup at an ashore restaurant and the variations are many.  Some good; some:  not so much.  Particularly for the price charged.  

I really do enjoy Clam Chowder which I don't think I have ever seen on a ship's menu.  It's another soup that has many, many variations prepared depending, I guess, on whom is preparing the soup.  

Never offered on a cruise, but the She Crab Soup prepared in the Tidewater area of our country is delicious!  Slight differences exist from Chef to Chef, but the basic soup always seems the same.  There is a company that sells canned She Crab Soup that is quite acceptable for this landlocked cruiser.  

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am going to need to review my Meraviglia menus, but I don't recall Tomato Bisque being offered during my cruise.

I agree with your thought about Lobster Bisque.  And, not only on a ship.  I order the soup at an ashore restaurant and the variations are many.  Some good; some:  not so much.  Particularly for the price charged.  

I really do enjoy Clam Chowder which I don't think I have ever seen on a ship's menu.  It's another soup that has many, many variations prepared depending, I guess, on whom is preparing the soup.  

Never offered on a cruise, but the She Crab Soup prepared in the Tidewater area of our country is delicious!  Slight differences exist from Chef to Chef, but the basic soup always seems the same.  There is a company that sells canned She Crab Soup that is quite acceptable for this landlocked cruiser.  

She Crab Soup in Cape May NJ restaurant we like is quite spicy over the years. Last time unable to eat it.

Away this week up north and had great French Onion soup w Comte' Cheese w Brioche croutons.

Tonight Cream of Roasted Mushroom Soup is being served. Wasn't into Cream of Cauliflower Soup yesterday.

Not into Bisques consistency.

42 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Lobster Bisque has to be made with real lobster.  You need the shells to make it right.  I hate it when they don’t add any lobster meat to the bisque.  

Clam chowder is what we do best here in NE.  Only a neophyte would try to make it with a roux.  

On 6/23/2021 at 5:27 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

She Crab Soup in Cape May NJ restaurant we like is quite spicy over the years. Last time unable to eat it.

I don't think She Crab Soup ought to be spicy.  In the Tidewater area, usually--at least at the better restaurants, a small flask of sherry is provided (or available) to be added to the soup if one chooses.  I wonder what others do when provided this option.  I have enjoyed the soup with and without the sherry.  Do you think that the sherry enhances your enjoyment of the soup?  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't think She Crab Soup ought to be spicy.  In the Tidewater area, usually--at least at the better restaurants, a small flask of sherry is provided (or available) to be added to the soup if one chooses.  I wonder what others do when provided this option.  I have enjoyed the soup with and without the sherry.  Do you think that the sherry enhances your enjoyment of the soup?  

Like making Tacos, I like to adjust the heat to be able to enjoy it. I have a chinese take out that will adjust the heat for Hot & Sour Soup since I can't take heat & spice now a days. They are happy to accommodate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Like making Tacos, I like to adjust the heat to be able to enjoy it. I have a chinese take out that will adjust the heat for Hot & Sour Soup since I can't take heat & spice now a days. They are happy to accommodate. 

As a good restaurant ought to do!

I will repeat my question about adding sherry or not to She Crab Soup.  I really am curious as to what others think about this.  When the flask of sherry was first served, I thought it to be odd.  Then, as I have tried this soup, I could detect a slight difference.  

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I will repeat my question about adding sherry or not to She Crab Soup.  I really am curious as to what others think about this.  When the flask of sherry was first served, I thought it to be odd.  Then, as I have tried this soup, I could detect a slight difference.  

Looks like many restaurants and recipes call for Sherry to be added. I know my father would add Sherry Vinegar from Bermuda to his chowder. And some restaurants have the bottle on the table. Not wine but vinegar. Yours should taste fine with the wine.

5 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I know my father would add Sherry Vinegar from Bermuda to his chowder. And some restaurants have the bottle on the table. Not wine but vinegar. 

Never heard about sherry vinegar at all.  Add this to a seafood chowder?  I keep learning.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Never heard about sherry vinegar at all.  Add this to a seafood chowder?  I keep learning.  

Yes, it's Sherry Vinegar from Bermuda and the bottle is noted Sherry Pepper Sauce...

Used many ways. One bottle use to last for a whole year till their next sailing.

Must be an acquired taste. I never tasted it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am a soup person and like many different soups.

But disappointed when they don't stir the pot from the bottle to combine the flavors. But also disappointed when they scoop the pot from the bottom and dish out out the spices and herbs.

They are for flavor and not to dish out for the customer.

Never had a problem on board ships.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, Lois R said:

Just noticed this…

Sorry Lois.  I certainly did not mean to be judgmental or for you to do that without your doctor’s approval.   I have had the same experience…on the pill for two years.  Then I changed my diet.  I have lost over 100 lbs in the past three years.  I got my number down to 3-4 consistently.  Weight loss does wonders for for diabetes 2.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I am a soup person and like many different soups.

But disappointed when they don't stir the pot from the bottle to combine the flavors. But also disappointed when they scoop the pot from the bottom and dish out out the spices and herbs.

They are for flavor and not to dish out for the customer.

Never had a problem on board ships.

We have an old saying in the commercial kitchen.  “The soup or sauce is only as good as the stock you used to make it.”  

Lately I have been hooked on a simple cream of tomato soup made with fire roasted tomatoes.  You can short cut this by taking a can of tomato soup and enrich it with a bit of tomato paste.  Not bad for a quick lunch.  

• Thanks 1

We very much like Cream of Mushroom Soup we have tried in many restaurants and even ships.

I personally make several styles with different types of mushrooms. Even add a wine, sherry, cream even without cream to name optional items. Even a starch like potatoes to thicken instead of cream since my DW can't have cream. Can't tell the difference.

If you don't mind but God and Nature has blessed us with so many types of mushrooms with such flavors to enjoy.

I home in like a target on a menu when I look at soups and try new ones.

• Like 1