Copenhagen Hotel Options?

Fingers crossed, we will be in Copenhagen in June 2022! The only thing I know about Copenhagen is Tivoli Gardens. I

So, what are your favorite places to stay? We hope to stay 3-4 nights pre-cruise and do our sightseeing. 

They "routine" would be the usual; getting from the airport to the hotel, touring for a few days, getting from the hotel to the port.

I appreciate your thoughts and experiences!

• Like 2

Hallasm-

Yes, thank you. I am well aware of the "Wonderful Copenhagen" thread. However, I wanted to have more focus on the subject. I did a search on that thread and found one main post and a few suggestions sprinkled throughout.

I will take a look at the other one.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I’m happy to answer all questions but you need to be more specific regarding your preferences.

I appreciate your offer!

I have been looking more closely at the suggestions from the "Wonderful Copenhagen" thread. It appears that A/C is uncommon in hotels. Plus, the ones that look great are pretty expensive (about $420.00 per night (2565 DKK per night). We will be there in early June; would this be a true concern? We live in a very cool climate.

Suggestions on location would be great. We are 4 adults in our 70's and can do some walking. Ease of reaching the hotel, proximity to "tourist highlights" like Tivoli, and ease of transportation to the cruise ship are important factors. We will be on the Enchanted Princess.

No, A / C is not widely used in Denmark - it is not at all common in private homes and is only in a few hotels.
Denmark is at the same latitude as southern Alaska (Unikak Island) and in June the temperature will be between 13 ° C degrees (55 F) and up to 18 ° C degrees (65 F) - cooler in the evenings / nights.
It must be an extremely hot summer before you’ll find the A / C needed - and it’s usually not in June - no need to worry about hotels without A / C.

Find a hotel either close to Tivoli/ Central Station or Nyhavn. Copenhagen is a small and walkable city - just one mile between Town hall square/Tivoli and Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn - also a very effective Metro system.

In general you’ll find Denmark expensive, but remember that VAT and tips are always included in prices - no need for tipping at restaurants, taxi, etc.

Edited by hallasm

1 minute ago, nini said:

Thanks, that is what I thought. We should be quite comfortable.

Yes. Should not be a problem - I did add few more details to my previous post while you were replying.

I’ll be happy to answer more questions.

7 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Yes. Should not be a problem - I did add few more details to my previous post while you were replying.

I’ll be happy to answer more questions.

Thanks for the hotel location tip!

You asked about "favorite places to stay" in Copenhagen, so I have to mention our favorite lodging place in one of our favorite cities: The Admiral Hotel! Traces of the building's origins as a grain warehouse are visible everywhere from guest rooms to dining facilities and give the place unique character! We've always found our room clean, comfortable, and quiet and have experienced service that at times went above and beyond the usual expectations for a mid-range hotel. No AC, but we've never felt a need for it, even in mid-summer. As someone else noted, Copenhagen is expensive. But the Admiral is in line with other hotels of similar caliber. If you should decide to book there, be sure to compare price quotes through on-line booking services with packages offered by the hotel on its own site. The latter are sometimes much more economical.

• Like 1

In 2009 we stayed at the Hotel Bethel before and the Admiral after our cruise - loved both - so my thoughts on some of the differences the Admiral is a lot bigger and has bars, restaurants etc, with Hotel Bethel it is smaller and breakfast was included but no air con with the Admiral no breakfast but you can request a room with air conditioning which we did request and receive which was good.  Hotel Bethel is right on the canal with all the restaurants etc and the hoho bus right on the doorstep with the Admiral is a little further down the road but still very easily walkable but the Admiral is closer to the Palaces.  I would happily stay at either but would look at price and if both are equal would probably give the nudge to Hotel Bethel if it wasn't in summer.

Jane

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 11:41 PM, CassCruise said:

In 2009 we stayed at the Hotel Bethel before and the Admiral after our cruise - loved both - so my thoughts on some of the differences the Admiral is a lot bigger and has bars, restaurants etc, with Hotel Bethel it is smaller and breakfast was included but no air con with the Admiral no breakfast but you can request a room with air conditioning which we did request and receive which was good.  Hotel Bethel is right on the canal with all the restaurants etc and the hoho bus right on the doorstep with the Admiral is a little further down the road but still very easily walkable but the Admiral is closer to the Palaces.  I would happily stay at either but would look at price and if both are equal would probably give the nudge to Hotel Bethel if it wasn't in summer.

Jane

On 5/19/2021 at 11:41 PM, CassCruise said:

Jane

Sorry that should read 2019 we stayed at the above!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 7:18 AM, quack2 said:

I had a vice nice stay at the Hotel Bethel in Nyhavn.  Great location.

Here's another vote for the Hotel Bethel, love that little place. We've stayed there 3 times and dream of going back. Nice located, nothing fancy but good, friendly staff, clean and comfortable and a wonderful breakfast in the morning. If you can, get a corner room, you can open windows on both sides and get a nice cross breeze. LOVE Copenhagen, and love the Hotel Bethel!

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Several years ago, we stayed in a Nyhavn hotel that was listed in a Rick Steves' tour book. It was over the weekend and the music from the Nyhavn restaurants and bars finally went quiet by 3am. My less than fond memory of this location was hearing MJ's "Beat It" at a very high volume after mid-night.  Unfortunately, this was during a warm spell and opening the windows only made the sleeping more difficult. My recommendation is consider the days of the week you will be visiting and if you are sensitive to noise. Of course, this was. a pre-COVID trip, so the situation was very different.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 6:17 PM, ReturnCruiser said:

Several years ago, we stayed in a Nyhavn hotel that was listed in a Rick Steves' tour book. It was over the weekend and the music from the Nyhavn restaurants and bars finally went quiet by 3am. My less than fond memory of this location was hearing MJ's "Beat It" at a very high volume after mid-night.  Unfortunately, this was during a warm spell and opening the windows only made the sleeping more difficult. My recommendation is consider the days of the week you will be visiting and if you are sensitive to noise. Of course, this was. a pre-COVID trip, so the situation was very different.

THIS -- we were at the Admiral.  Loved the hotel, but the bar was right below our room, and it was very hot out, so, not a good night sleep.

I have a subconscious fear of a heat wave while we are there. (look what just happened on the west coast!). We live a half mile from the beach and we had 95 degrees... 75 is usually a shocking high for us.

Regardless, I really appreciate all of the contributions.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 4:17 PM, ReturnCruiser said:

Looking through my notes, this stay was at Hotel Bethel. The only negatives were the late night music and warm room temperatures. Great location. 

On 7/2/2021 at 12:40 PM, nini said:

I have a subconscious fear of a heat wave while we are there. (look what just happened on the west coast!). We live a half mile from the beach and we had 95 degrees... 75 is usually a shocking high for us.

Regardless, I really appreciate all of the contributions.

Have you looked at the Scandic Palace? Great location & our room had air.

20 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Have you looked at the Scandic Palace? Great location & our room had air.

We stayed there three summers ago.  It is indeed a great location, and our room had some version of a/c and we were comfortable.  However, it is directly across from the City Hall bell tower, with the bell ringing every 15 minutes from very early in the morning until midnight, and, each hour, counting out the hour.  We were not on the street facing the bell tower, and we were supposed to be in a "quiet room," but nonetheless it was as though the bell were ringing right inside our room. It was very disturbing.   It seems as though the rooms are hit or miss in terms of hearing the bell, so folks should be forewarned.   

• Thanks 1

We stayed at The Admiral in 2018 and we loved it! Their updated rooms do have A/C, you just have to ask for a room with A/C. We are glad we did, as it was 95 degrees the 3 days pre-cruise we stayed there. The Admiral was beautiful, on the water, within walking distance to Nyhavn and the Little Mermaid, had a hoho nearby and a wonderful breakfast (extra charge). We plan to stay there again in 2023.