First fully vaccinated flights Florida to NY

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

No one is going to sail out of Baltimore. The city is too dangerous for tourists to visit. And the international airport not well served enough even if it was safe.

Here you go re: Baltimore Dangerous neighborhoods:

https://www.areavibes.com/baltimore-md/most-dangerous-neighborhoods/

We took light rail to Camden Yards for a late afternoon ball game that ended after dark in 2018 and were not in danger. The Inner Harbor is considered one of the safer areas, and I would only be concerned if a cruise had a night time departure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

No one is going to sail out of Baltimore. The city is too dangerous for tourists to visit. And the international airport not well served enough even if it was safe.

That what I tell people to keep them away and the prices down.  But between BWI, IAD (dulles) and DCA, and the Amtrak lines, Baltimore is served pretty well. I suspect, if more ships and larger ones started going out of Baltimore, MTA would add a rail stop at the rail yard across the street with a few direct train to BWI. Then it would be easier then any other east coast ports.

3 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

We took light rail to Camden Yards for a late afternoon ball game that ended after dark in 2018 and were not in danger. The Inner Harbor is considered one of the safer areas, and I would only be concerned if a cruise had a night time departure.

I've never had any safety concerns sailing out of any of the Florida ports no matter what the time of day.

4 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

That what I tell people to keep them away and the prices down.  But between BWI, IAD (dulles) and DCA, and the Amtrak lines, Baltimore is served pretty well. I suspect, if more ships and larger ones started going out of Baltimore, MTA would add a rail stop at the rail yard across the street with a few direct train to BWI. Then it would be easier then any other east coast ports.

Easy is key. Make it easier than Ft.Lauderdale, with the right ships and itineraries, and I'll be there. Now, can you do something about the winter cold during the first and last couple of days of the cruise?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

There have been at least 9000 murders since David Simon wrote his book which created homicide and the wire in 1988. Police have solved 500 of them if that. Very dangerous city. I feel completely safe in New York walking round Manhattan. Baltimore I would not go near.

I can imagine groups of people from the west side east side  running up to the rich people at the cruise terminal with guns yelling this a robbery yo give up yo other word for poo and start blasting away. Just like in David Simon's book a guy was killed during a robbery for can of "Dinty More Stew

Edited by ace2542

14 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Not international flights I don't think it is? I think  there is or was1 day from heathrow to BWI. Nothing from Manchester or other UK Airports or Ireland. European countries I don't know.

It is a very quick flight up from NYC. But travelling same day would be very hard. Amtrack 3 or 4 hours from NYC.

On 5/9/2021 at 10:29 PM, Biker19 said:

Biker, who wonders if any of the passengers on that flight had fake vaccination records.

Not if it was through the CLEAR Health Pass. I just added it to my CLEAR profile.  CLEAR, since they also do security in the airports, does a little bit more research than just uploading your card.

You can link your health records and also link to thousands of labs which will send the results of any Covid test directly to your CLEAR pass.

https://www.clearme.com/healthpass

CLEAR has kiosks in many airports, stadiums, and concert venues where you just use your fingerprint or retina scan and it either clears you or says you are not cleared. No revealing of any of your health data. 

It wouldn't be hard to start adding these kiosks to ports.  Scan your fingerprint, you are vaccinated, off you go to the front of the line for check-in.   For those that don't want CLEAR, you go stand in a line like TSA, for vaccine verification.

Double checking your vaccine card wouldn't be that difficult. All they need is access to the Tiberius database.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Not international flights I don't think it is? I think  there is or was1 day from heathrow to BWI. Nothing from Manchester or other UK Airports or Ireland. European countries I don't know.

It is a very quick flight up from NYC. But travelling same day would be very hard. Amtrack 3 or 4 hours from NYC.

BWI and IAD compliment each other, for international flights, but I have flown from BWI straight to London (don't remember which airport) and they offer puddle jumpers flights between the other airports or shuttle buses. Both airports have large international terminals and can handle the 777s.

Right now, the international flight numbers are reduced and BWI dropped a lot more international then IAD, and IAD dropped more local.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:39 AM, Joseph2017China said:

For starters.....this flight was a test flight to market it to only those that did not fly, were too scared to fly, were too scare to go out the doorway.  It was from a state that is totally FREE to as state controlled by a government that suppressed it's people.  Next a covid passport is a piece of paper that says the government freely allows you to move around.  You do know the USA is not a communist nation, and freedom to travel is allowed.  It was sad to see those people so happy to see their loved ones, when I have been seeing my family, my kids, my grandkids all last year, and it was not in the same state.......So depending on whether you were scared or not, or what state you lived in, that video, did not apply

The whole, "If you follow health protocols, you are too scared to live" mantra is really getting old. 

There is psychology out there that says that the ones who proclaim so loudly that they are not scared are the ones who are really terrified of the virus. They have to keep constantly proving to themselves that they are not scared of the virus, so proclaim loudly and frequently that others are scared, but look at me.

There is a long history of requirements of US citizens that are not communist.  There is Supreme Court ruling that the good of the group is more important than the individual rights of the one.  You might want to check out the Jefferson vs Massachusetts Supreme Court ruling that said that Massachusetts could make the small pox vaccine mandatory, that a person's individual liberties did not supercede the health of the whole.  

There is no constitutional amendment that provides freedom of travel on a cruise ship or airline.  People carry lots of pieces of paper to travel; for instance a drivers license, state id or passport is necessary to get on a plane.  Pretty soon, you will be required to have a Real ID to travel.  People are already carrying around documents to travel. Sheesh.

Do you think being required to have a Real ID to travel is communist?

Edited by cured
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wait, @ace2542 why are you going out of your way into downtown Baltimore? The airport is on the same side of the city as port, the taxi would go I-195 > I-295 > I-95 then the cruise terminal exit.

The Cruise port is different then the Port of Baltimore/ Inner Harbor. And the hotels around the airport offer free airport shuttle service.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cruise+Maryland+Terminal/@39.265351,-76.6001144,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c8030b2548d5b1:0x288557335434ebdb!8m2!3d39.2653021!4d-76.5985239

Edited by ArthurUSCG

On 5/10/2021 at 7:14 AM, smokeybandit said:

Then why don't they? Other than the 9+ day cruises, cruises from those ports never go further south than the Bahamas.

Plus not everyone likes 2 sea days to start their cruise, potentially with fall/winter weather.

Then they can sail out of the Bahamas. The cruise industry, if forced, can make other arrangements and people jonesing to cruise will follow.  Build the port and they will come.  

Right now the cruise lines have large infrastructures already built in Florida so obviously prefer to stay in Florida. But they can start building infrastructure elsewhere if necessary.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:03 AM, Ocean Boy said:

They are dealing with a population that actually questions and doesn't blindly follow. Exactly the type of people who are thorns in the side of politicians and beaurocrats.

Sadly many of those questioning authority in this pandemic are doing so from a position of ignorance or insufficient understanding.

Knee jerk rejection of authority does not contribute to problem resolution.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cured said:

Then they can sail out of the Bahamas. The cruise industry, if forced, can make other arrangements and people jonesing to cruise will follow.  Build the port and they will come.  

Right now the cruise lines have large infrastructures already built in Florida so obviously prefer to stay in Florida. But they can start building infrastructure elsewhere if necessary.

Despite the popularity of the idea of sailing out of the Bahamas (or any other Caribbean country) amongst the jonesing cohort on CC, about 99.9% of the real-world population won’t be interested in making arrangements to get to and from these locations once they’re able to travel/vacation again on cruise ships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Despite the popularity of the idea of sailing out of the Bahamas (or any other Caribbean country) amongst the jonesing cohort on CC, about 99.9% of the real-world population won’t be interested in making arrangements to get to and from these locations once they’re able to travel/vacation again on cruise ships.

I tend to agree.  If I am going to tackle the logistics of traveling to an island destination, I would probably just spend the week on that island.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

There have been at least 9000 murders since David Simon wrote his book which created homicide and the wire in 1988. Police have solved 500 of them if that. Very dangerous city. I feel completely safe in New York walking round Manhattan. Baltimore I would not go near.

I can imagine groups of people from the west side east side  running up to the rich people at the cruise terminal with guns yelling this a robbery yo give up yo other word for poo and start blasting away. Just like in David Simon's book a guy was killed during a robbery for can of "Dinty More Stew

Yup. That exact scenario happens every time we sail out of Baltimore. Trying to outrun the pack of wild direwolves is even more of a challenge. 

Yorkvillain, who is second-guessing his decision to book the Enchantment yesterday for June 2022. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Wait, @ace2542 why are you going out of your way into downtown Baltimore? The airport is on the same side of the city as port, the taxi would go I-195 > I-295 > I-95 then the cruise terminal exit.

The Cruise port is different then the Port of Baltimore/ Inner Harbor. And the hotels around the airport offer free airport shuttle service.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cruise+Maryland+Terminal/@39.265351,-76.6001144,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c8030b2548d5b1:0x288557335434ebdb!8m2!3d39.2653021!4d-76.5985239

I don't know the city at all. I only know they have penn station in baltimore for Amtrack or they used to. And that train from New York takes 3 or 4 hours. I have no idea where the airport is. I have heard of the inner harbour and fellspoint and Federal Hill where they filmed most of homicide the tv show. And Reservoir Hill where the little kid was killed in David Simon's book  and that is in the central patrol district.

And besides they won't develop any areas like adding rail stops - i don't know how hard that would be to do - unless any boost from cruising is a long term thing. Not many ships sail from Baltimore do they?

7 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

Yup. That exact scenario happens every time we sail out of Baltimore. Trying to outrun the pack of wild direwolves is even more of a challenge. 

Yorkvillain, who is second-guessing his decision to book the Enchantment yesterday for June 2022. 

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it never would. I have read about trouble in the inner harbor before.

New York is 11x the size and is only about 25 murders ahead of Baltimore you know.  Read that. Upto 112 now.

http://chamspage.blogspot.com/

Edited by ace2542

On 5/9/2021 at 5:39 PM, lovescats5 said:

So, again, what is the purpose of a vaccine.  You apparently have a plane full of vaccinated people and yet the mask.  Why get a vaccine if we still have to wear a mask?????

You do realize that there is still a pandemic out there in the real world?

The current vaccinations do protect you from most of the variants, but data is not clear on some of the newere variants.

For instance, the B.1.167 variant is showing to be more contagious and early studies are suggesting that it has the ability to evade some of the protections and antibodies provided by the vaccines. Until more studies can be done on the vaccines' effects on this variant, the global health world is going to proceed more cautiously.  They are stating they need more targeted sequencing done to understand the effects of the current vaccines on this variant.

The B.1.167 variant has just been labeled a global health concern by the W.H.O. ( A variant can be labeled as "of concern" if it has been shown to be more contagious, more deadly, or more resistant to current vaccines and treatments.) 

This pandemic is world wide. Until it is controlled everywhere, caution will exist in the scientific community.  I don't think we will have masks for life (we aren't still wearing masks for previous pandemics) but until we see a decrease in the spread of the virus globally, the science and health world will continue to proceed with caution.

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

I don't know the city at all. I only know they have penn station in baltimore for Amtrack or they used to. And that train from New York takes 3 or 4 hours. I have no idea where the airport is. I have heard of the inner harbour and fellspoint and Federal Hill where they filmed most of homicide the tv show. And Reservoir Hill where the little kid was killed in David Simon's book  and that is in the central patrol district.

And besides they won't develop any areas like adding rail stops - i don't know how hard that would be to do - unless any boost from cruising is a long term thing. Not many ships sail from Baltimore do they?

Yea, the old crime TV shows don't help the cities image.  But where the tourist go is safe and there is a lot of police presence. I've walked between all of those locations, with family and after enjoying a beverage and felt safe.

The MTA already has the land across from the cruise port as part of the rail yard. The only improvements needed would be adding a platform, ramp up from the street below and the tickets could be presold thru the cruise line.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I am not so sure of that. People not living in the US (Europe, Asia, Australia) travel all the time to cruise from other countries with no qualms.  It wouldn't be much different if US citizens had to travel to another country to sail the Caribbean.   Freeport is only 86 miles from W. Palm Beach.  Not exactly a big hurdle to overcome to make it easy to get there with a high speed ferry.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I think once the airline service improves, it won't be an issue. Now this will affect those that drive to the ports. Not being able to drive there would dramatically increase the cost for some people.

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Three tourist were shot in Times Square NYC last week. One was a little girl shopping for toys. Baltimore is no more dangerous than any of the ports that ships call on.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Once the reviews start coming in (if they are favorable) we may see some of the fence-sitters take the plunge. Flying out of Boston I can get to a lot of these places non-stop, so the only question is whether I can fly in the day before or on the day of the cruise with time to spare. For Florida departures we always fly in the day before but for the islands I would consider taking the risk of flying in the same day. At this point it's all hypothetical for me, I have nothing booked for this year.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

If I have to fly to a Caribbean island to board a cruise I would just book an all inclusive or an Airbnb and stay on the island. Too many restrictions and rules on a cruise ship. It's just not worth the extra effort.

• Like 2