What is your Favorite Salad you had on a Cruise.....

BklynBoy8

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That's what I knew!  My Steward either didn't or didn't care.  (I would put more belief on the "didn't care" because of the labor issues that we experienced on our crossing.)  Such an attitude is what my traveling companion and I experienced throughout the crossing from a majority of the hotel staff.  There were exceptions to that.  A Deck Steward who served me on one of the aft open decks. an obviously more seasoned crew member, provided the best service that I experienced on QE2,  

Just came back from a week in the Hudson Valley and had great salads there. Our favorite dressing which I copied is a Sherry Shallot Vinaigrette. They make it with EVOO and I make it with Light Olive Oil.

A few years ago HAL did away with the traditional salad bar in their Lido buffet and replaced it with a salad station usually staffed by 2 staff.  They did this as part of their norovirus mitigation.  With this new system you walk to counter and a staffer will take a large salad bowl and fill it to your specifications from an expansive selection of items.  They then add the salad dressing you select and toss the salad.  This quickly became my favorite cruise ship salad.

Hank

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 6:10 PM, Hlitner said:

With this new system you walk to counter and a staffer will take a large salad bowl and fill it to your specifications from an expansive selection of items.  They then add the salad dressing you select and toss the salad.  This quickly became my favorite cruise ship salad.

From a food safety standpoint, this was an improvement in their salad bars.  But, the "large bowls" used produces much waste from what I have observed.  One has to be carefully watching what the staff member is doing as to the quantity of each of the ingredients being put into the bowl.  One's salad that is made always is good.  But, the same could be done in a smaller bowl and eliminate the waste.  (I have mentioned this on every HAL survey that I have sent since this type of Lido Restaurant salad service began.)  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

From a food safety standpoint, this was an improvement in their salad bars.  But, the "large bowls" used produces much waste from what I have observed.  One has to be carefully watching what the staff member is doing as to the quantity of each of the ingredients being put into the bowl.  One's salad that is made always is good.  But, the same could be done in a smaller bowl and eliminate the waste.  (I have mentioned this on every HAL survey that I have sent since this type of Lido Restaurant salad service began.)  

I guess you could suggest they stock a small size "rkacruiser" bowl.  It would be interesting to see what percentage of cruisers would request the small bowl vs the normal larger bowl.  Having watched many cruisers pile food and salad on their plates at the buffets I could make a good guess,  

Hank

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...