Pride of America, port baby friendly?

CandLcruisers

Looking to cruise on Pride of America in summer 2022. Have a baby that will be almost two at that time. I heard most of the ports are industrial or not typical cruise ports. We would like to explore the islands. I assume a car seat would be needed for this. Is this practical to bring a baby on this cruise?  She travels well. We could bring our car seat and then use a stroller when needed. But if you have to travel to see sites, is it a bus (taxi) with several stops or does it take you to one location and drop you off. We wanted to do a luau, site see volcanos and waterfalls, and anything else we can get to easily with a baby. Any recommendations?  Has anyone ever taken a baby or can describe the process and transportation of seeing the islands. Any help is appreciated before we book a cruise that we end up not leaving the ship and wasting our money! 

4 hours ago, CandLcruisers said:

Looking to cruise on Pride of America in summer 2022. Have a baby that will be almost two at that time. I heard most of the ports are industrial or not typical cruise ports. We would like to explore the islands. I assume a car seat would be needed for this. Is this practical to bring a baby on this cruise?  She travels well. We could bring our car seat and then use a stroller when needed. But if you have to travel to see sites, is it a bus (taxi) with several stops or does it take you to one location and drop you off. We wanted to do a luau, site see volcanos and waterfalls, and anything else we can get to easily with a baby. Any recommendations?  Has anyone ever taken a baby or can describe the process and transportation of seeing the islands. Any help is appreciated before we book a cruise that we end up not leaving the ship and wasting our money! 

It all depends upon whether you want a relaxing vacation or a working vacation (and travel with a small child is work).  Don't let anyone make the decision for you and read everything you can to learn about the subject.  All we can say is that ideally it would be best to wait a few years until she is old enough to remember the event and all of you can have enjoyable memories to share. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

It all depends upon whether you want a relaxing vacation or a working vacation (and travel with a small child is work).  Don't let anyone make the decision for you and read everything you can to learn about the subject.  All we can say is that ideally it would be best to wait a few years until she is old enough to remember the event and all of you can have enjoyable memories to share. 

Thank you! We travel with her regularly so it is not so much about her remembering it because I will gladly take her back again when she is older. 😃 I just worry about transportation since it appears to have nothing to do close to most of the ports (except one). I called last night though and was told that the shuttle bus did not require car seats. She can ride on my lap.  This would be fantastic because we would not have to travel with her car seat at the ports, just a carrier or stroller. Thank you for the advice!  It is appreciated. 

8 hours ago, CandLcruisers said:

I  just worry about transportation since it appears to have nothing to do close to most of the ports (except one). I called last night though and was told that the shuttle bus did not require car seats. She can ride on my lap.  This would be fantastic because we would not have to travel with her car seat at the ports, just a carrier or stroller. Thank you for the advice!  It is appreciated. 

Just want to note that, despite whatever you were told about car seats, it is against the law in the State of Hawaii not to have a car seat for children four and under.  We are curious where you intend on going with the shuttle bus?  The only shuttles we know of around Kahului (where the POA docks here on Maui) are those you take from the ship to the rental car agencies at the airport (about three miles).  There are no tourist activities in that area.  

On 5/10/2021 at 5:58 PM, CandLcruisers said:

Looking to cruise on Pride of America in summer 2022. Have a baby that will be almost two at that time. I heard most of the ports are industrial or not typical cruise ports. We would like to explore the islands.

Honestly I think you'll have a lot more fun and a far more relaxing time doing this as a land vacation rather than on the ship. Pick two islands (Oahu and Maui are great ones for a first trip) and spend a few days on each. Without having to pack up and move every day you'll end up with a lot more time to relax and most Hawaiian resorts are extremely family friendly. 

Go back and do the cruise when she's older. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 4:19 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Just want to note that, despite whatever you were told about car seats, it is against the law in the State of Hawaii not to have a car seat for children four and under.  We are curious where you intend on going with the shuttle bus?  The only shuttles we know of around Kahului (where the POA docks here on Maui) are those you take from the ship to the rental car agencies at the airport (about three miles).  There are no tourist activities in that area.  

The Hawaii state law exempts commercial and mass transit vehicles, so a tour bus, shuttle bus to the rental car agency, even a taxi,  you would not need a child safety seat seat. Once you rent a car, then you have to have the child safety seat.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The Hawaii state law exempts commercial and mass transit vehicles, so a tour bus, shuttle bus to the rental car agency, even a taxi,  you would not need a child safety seat seat. Once you rent a car, then you have to have the child safety seat.

We were just going by the following from the Hawaii Department of Transportation.  We also read about the exemptions you listed.  There seems to be a bit of a contradiction.

Click It Or Ticket

2005 CIOT logo RGB.jpg

In an effort to have motorists and passengers better protect themselves in the event of a motor vehicle crash, police statewide continue their efforts to issue citations to those violating the state seat belt and child passenger restraint laws. The cost of a ticket for not buckling up is $102 on Oahu, Maui and Hawaii, and $112 on Kauai.

Hawaii’s universal seat belt law requires that all front and back seat motor vehicle occupants buckle up. Adults and children must use their seat belts and child restraints at all times. The child passenger restraint law requires children under 4 years of age to ride in a child safety seat, and children between the ages of 4 and 8 years to ride in either a child safety seat or a booster seat. Violators of this law are required to attend a four-hour class and may be assessed a fine between $100 and $500 depending upon the number of offenses.

Here is the Hawaii state law.

2011 Hawaii Code DIVISION 1. GOVERNMENT TITLE 17. MOTOR AND OTHER VEHICLES 291. Traffic Violations §291-11.5 Child passenger restraints

§291-11.5 Child passenger restraints. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person operating a motor vehicle on a public highway in the State shall transport a child under eight years of age except under the following circumstances:

(1) If the child is under four years of age, the person operating the motor vehicle shall ensure that the child is properly restrained in a child passenger restraint system that meets federal motor vehicle safety standards at the time of its manufacture; or

(2) If the child is four years of age or older but less than eight years of age, the person operating the motor vehicle shall ensure that the child is properly restrained in a child safety seat or booster seat that meets federal motor vehicle safety standards at the time of its manufacture; except as provided in paragraph (3); and

(3) If the child is four years of age or older but less than eight years of age, the person operating the motor vehicle shall be exempt from properly restraining the child in a child safety seat or booster seat that meets federal motor vehicle safety standards at the time of manufacture if the child is restrained by a seat belt assembly and:

(A) Over four feet and nine inches in height; or

(B) Over forty pounds and traveling in a motor vehicle equipped only with lap belts, without shoulder straps, in the back seat.

(b) Operators of the following motor vehicles shall be exempt from the requirements of this section: emergency, commercial, and mass transit vehicles. Further exemptions from this section may be established by the department of transportation pursuant to rules adopted under chapter 91.

Questions?

• 1 month later...

I believe this poster was looking for information on whether these ports are baby friendly.  There are ways for them to enjoy a cruise and see these islands.   After spending a lot of time on these islands and seeing visitors with kids of all ages they can certainly have a good time exploring the islands.   

Since you will be flying to the islands why not bring your own car seat and arrange for your own rental cars.  Every one of these islands are easy to explore on your own and drive.   With a little research you can figure out what you would like to see.    You may even decide to just stay close to Port on one day.  Kauai is very easy to do this with restaurants within walking distance. The grounds of the Marriott Hotel are within walking distance along with a beautiful beach.  

To visit the volcanos Haleakala (Maui) and Kilauea (BI) are a little more ambitious but Kilauea is an easy drive from Hilo for exploring.  Kona is a fun port to walk around and find family friendly restaurants.  Maui is very easy to drive. 

We say go for it and enjoy. If cruising is what you would like to do just plan accordingly with some independent travel and enjoy with your sweet daughter. 
Mauimary.