MASKS REQUIRED ?

oldpharmguy

56 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

This is great News!  Just heard it announced!  Hope it applies to Planes!!!

I believe planes and airports were specifically mentioned as places it did not apply to. Sorry.

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I believe planes and airports were specifically mentioned as places it did not apply to. Sorry.

Planes, busses, trains (all public transportation) were identified as places where both vaccinated and npon-vacinated people would be in close proximity for extended periods of time. 

A cruise with ALL people vaccinated should work fine.

36 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, but it can change by the time we sail at the end of August!  🤞 If not,  we'll deal with it!

Since the guidance changed between last week and this week, and it's supposed to be based on science, I'd like to see last week's science and this week's science so we could compare the changes. I'm starting to feel like there's a Lucky Wheel of Science™ that they're using.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Since the guidance changed between last week and this week, and it's supposed to be based on science, I'd like to see last week's science and this week's science so we could compare the changes. I'm starting to feel like there's a Lucky Wheel of Science™ that they're using.

As mentioned on another thread, do you know what studies might have just completed peer review? For example, there have been some recent real world experience studies showing actual protection against Covid by vaccines might be very high 99%, as opposed to the manufacturers 94 or 95%. Perhaps those studies have been validated and peer reviewed.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

As mentioned on another thread, do you know what studies might have just completed peer review? For example, there have been some recent real world experience studies showing actual protection against Covid by vaccines might be very high 99%, as opposed to the manufacturers 94 or 95%. Perhaps those studies have been validated and peer reviewed.

You know how your teachers used to tell you that you had to "show your work?"  That's all I ask. I'd bet my bottom dollar that this was purely political and not because there were any new studies on the last week. The attached graphic is the most recent studies. Bear in mind that the guidance doesn't mention any specific studies. Here's a list of the studies. (It's from University of California, San Francisco.)

studies.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You know how your teachers used to tell you that you had to "show your work?"  That's all I ask. I'd bet my bottom dollar that this was purely political and not because there were any new studies on the last week. The attached graphic is the most recent studies. Bear in mind that the guidance doesn't mention any specific studies. Here's a list of the studies. (It's from University of California, San Francisco.)

studies.png

The studies don't need to be new. They need to be peer reviewed and validated.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The studies don't need to be new. They need to be peer reviewed and validated.

Something would have to have occurred in order for the CDC guidance to have changed so much in less than 10 days. I'd hope that there was something they point to to justify the change, but I'll be darned if I can find anything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

Here you go…

In announcing the decision Thursday, the CDC pointed to additional data from the last few weeks that show the vaccines work in the real world, stand up to the variants and make it unlikely vaccinated people can transmit the virus.

"In the last two weeks, the cases in this country have dropped by a third. In the last two weeks, we have had increasing available vaccine, and we now have available and eligible people between the ages of 12 and 15," Walensky said.

She also pointed to a "coalescence of more science that has emerged just in the last week" in three areas.

"One is the effectiveness of the vaccines in general in real world populations. One is the effectiveness against variants, which was just published last week. And then the effectiveness in preventing transmissibility," Walensky said.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I predict you won't need masks on planes by next week.    The floodgates are opened.   No turning back now.     

5 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I predict you won't need masks on planes by next week.    The floodgates are opened.   No turning back now.     

Is that assuming that you will not be able to board an airplane unless you have been fully vaccinated?

20 minutes ago, Hflors said:

I am starting to get hopeful that my 50th Anniversary cruise in December will be going after all!!!

Wishing you the best of luck with that.

Our first cruise was actually for our 25th anniversary. Our best cruise was for our 30th anniversary. On our 35th we basically repeated the first cruise. (We took a land trip for our 40th.) 

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is that assuming that you will not be able to board an airplane unless you have been fully vaccinated?

No.   If you are vaccinated, per the CDC, you are protected.   The vaccination status of other passengers won't affect you per the CDC - Dr Walensky.   Here is her quote and link

Q    What [does] this means for fully vaccinated people that are entering spaces where they don’t know if the people that are around them are fully vaccinated….

DR. WALENSKY:   the science demonstrates that if you are fully vaccinated, you are protected.  It is the people who are not fully vaccinated in those settings, who might not be wearing a mask, who are not protected

www.whitehouse.gov/...

The risk to cruise ships is whether or not the entire ship will be denied entry if you have one COVID positive passenger.   That is not possible with air travel.    Thats why I think the masks will come off during airtravel soon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

You might see a possible move by airlines to ask for proof of vaccination or a recent negative Covid test. Looking at this globally there are some countries that have less than 2% of their population vaccinated. The only way to protect all passengers and continue to fly would be passengers wearing masks. I doubt that airlines would care to fly 100% vaccinated flights.

27 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

You might see a possible move by airlines to ask for proof of vaccination or a recent negative Covid test. Looking at this globally there are some countries that have less than 2% of their population vaccinated. The only way to protect all passengers and continue to fly would be passengers wearing masks. I doubt that airlines would care to fly 100% vaccinated flights.

It may not happen on all flights especially Domestic but it maybe possible on International Travel.  Some Countries are requiring Proof of Vaccination or a recent Covid Test taken within 72 hours.  This will be shown to the Airline before Boarding so why the need to wear a Mask on these flights!

12 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I fly frequently.  Flew all through this COVID mess.  That would be music to my ears.

However, I'm not so optimistic.  Besides, the federal mask mandate law would need to be rescinded first.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, idiebabe said:

It may not happen on all flights especially Domestic but it maybe possible on International Travel.  Some Countries are requiring Proof of Vaccination or a recent Covid Test taken within 72 hours.  This will be shown to the Airline before Boarding so why the need to wear a Mask on these flights!

So 72 hours test negative, but 48? 24? 12? test positive? A mask would provide a better chance against contamination. So a domestic flight within the 50 states, wouldn't possible have passengers from other countries? How do you think it spread last year? Granted those who haven't been vaccinated may be on the losing side.

Then there are Breakthrough Infections to contend with. These are people who have been fully vaccinated. It was just announced that eight NY Yankees tested positive. Only one NY Yankee required hospitalization.

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Then there are Breakthrough Infections to contend with. These are people who have been fully vaccinated. It was just announced that eight NY Yankees tested positive. Only one NY Yankee required hospitalization.

Was he hospitalized? I thought he was the only one of that group was symptomatic!

On 5/13/2021 at 10:18 PM, KirkNC said:

Here you go…

In announcing the decision Thursday, the CDC pointed to additional data from the last few weeks that show the vaccines work in the real world, stand up to the variants and make it unlikely vaccinated people can transmit the virus.

"In the last two weeks, the cases in this country have dropped by a third. In the last two weeks, we have had increasing available vaccine, and we now have available and eligible people between the ages of 12 and 15," Walensky said.

She also pointed to a "coalescence of more science that has emerged just in the last week" in three areas.

"One is the effectiveness of the vaccines in general in real world populations. One is the effectiveness against variants, which was just published last week. And then the effectiveness in preventing transmissibility," Walensky said.

Do me a favor. Post the link to the peer-reviewed study. It's from the last week but I sure as heck cannot find it on the CDC site.

Someone has cognitive dissonance. It could be me. The study link will help to unravel the mystery. Just remember that it's got to be both peer reviewed and published since the Congressional hearings last week.