WHEN DO YOU THINK CRUISES WILL HAVE NO RESTRICTIONS

mcrcruiser

It depends on the government, so who knows.  It is all politics now since anyone could sail with a fully vaccinated crew and passengers now.  Can't claim science when everybody has a vaccine fully endorsed and supported by NIH, FDA, CDC, WHO and others.

I think you will see restrictions phase out over time.  I know you want no masks in public places but I will be surprised if that is gone by early 2022.  We are on the same cruise by the way and would probably wear masks whether required or not in places like the theater.  We enjoyed no cruise crud or colds since we started wearing them.

• Like 5

I think it will be an issue of not just timing but also region.

In some areas where populations are vaccinated and cruisers are vaccinated, it may be easy to start rolling back restrictions earlier.

In other parts of the world, it could be more tricky as it will depend not only of the success of the onboard experience but also on port and country restrictions and safety considerations in various countries. I would expect that we will need to remain somewhat 'flexible' if we want to cruise.

As an example, look how fast the situation in India blew up. Who is to say other places won't experience flare-ups where vaccination rollout is slow?  I read a few days ago, for example, that in Japan only about 1% of the population is vaccinated. What would that mean on a Spring 2022 circumnavigation cruise of Japan if there was a sudden spike of disease?

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think it will be an issue of not just timing but also region.

In some areas where populations are vaccinated and cruisers are vaccinated, it may be easy to start rolling back restrictions earlier.

In other parts of the world, it could be more tricky as it will depend not only of the success of the onboard experience but also on port and country restrictions and safety considerations in various countries. I would expect that we will need to remain somewhat 'flexible' if we want to cruise.

As an example, look how fast the situation in India blew up. Who is to say other places won't experience flare-ups where vaccination rollout is slow?  I read a few days ago, for example, that in Japan only about 1% of the population is vaccinated. What would that mean on a Spring 2022 circumnavigation cruise of Japan if there was a sudden spike of disease?

Good points, plus if vaccination rates remain low in countries in the fall/winter they may see flare ups then as is typical with the flu that time of year.  

2 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Fauci was saying that we may have to wear masks every winter to prevent outbreaks of Covid. So, I could see cruises requiring masks seasonally. 

That would require we maintain a state of Health Emergency.  I cannot imagine we will have a permanent state of Emergency Health Declaration. I think Congress and the courts may have something to say about that.  

4 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

So, I could see cruises requiring masks seasonally. 

CNBC: Fauci Says Face Masks Could Become Seasonal After Covid PandemicWhite House chief medical advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said Sunday that people may decide to wear masks during certain seasons when respiratory illnesses are more prevalent. “I think people have gotten used to the fact that wearing masks, clearly if you look at the data it diminishes respiratory diseases, we’ve had practically a non-existent flu season this year merely because people were doing the kinds of public health things that were directed predominately against Covid-19,” Fauci said during an interview on NBC Sunday program “Meet the Press.” (Macias, 5/9)

The Wall Street 

Edited by rucrazy

As to the locality issue I agree with both @KirkNC and @cruisemom42 but the OP is talking about a Hawaii cruise.  For my TA and Med cruise next spring I am planning on full protocols, I accepted that risk when I booked, I will be pleasantly surprised if there is more leniency.  It is all about managing expectations and accepting the risks when you put your money down.

6 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

CNBC: Fauci Says Face Masks Could Become Seasonal After Covid PandemicWhite House chief medical advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said Sunday that people may decide to wear masks during certain seasons when respiratory illnesses are more prevalent. “I think people have gotten used to the fact that wearing masks, clearly if you look at the data it diminishes respiratory diseases, we’ve had practically a non-existent flu season this year merely because people were doing the kinds of public health things that were directed predominately against Covid-19,” Fauci said during an interview on NBC Sunday program “Meet the Press.” (Macias, 5/9)

The Wall Street 

see my post above.  He is now clearly exceeding his legal authority or trying to expand his legal authority.  This is the kind of statement that gets him into trouble.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

see my post above.  He is now clearly exceeding his legal authority or trying to expand his legal authority.  This is the kind of statement that gets him into trouble.  

All he said in my post was "PEOPLE MAY DECIDE"

• Like 9

1 minute ago, rucrazy said:

All he said in my post was "PEOPLE MAY DECIDE"

Sorry, I was relying on the previous poster.   I just wish he would stay on message about the vaccine and quit talking about the flash point of masks.  Personally I just go along to get along but I understand how irritating he is.  Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine.  That should be his on point message in all interviews

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

The Wall Street 

However, cruise lines could require them and people may choose to wear them more often in the US. I don't understand the fear of masking. They were common in Asia long before Covid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

I just wish he would stay on message about the vaccine and quit talking about the flash point of masks.

The problem really is with the people that ask him the questions... think about it...

• Like 4

Just now, rucrazy said:

The problem really is with the people that ask him the questions... think about it...

I don't watch TV news.  I only read news except the weather.    He should say, we won't need to worry about masks if everybody gets their vaccine thereby controlling the message.  He is so easily led astray.  But let's get back to cruising.  

• Like 1

We are currently at a Marriott Beach Resort vacation. All guest are mask compliant while inside building. Find yourself at pool or in pool everyone is keeping to most part; socially  distanced. Most people we have talked to are vaccinated.

Elevators only 1 person each ride or family groups go together. Actually, like that as the elevators with using your room card take you directly to your floor without stopping.

Staff fully masked indoors and outside.

By the way we feel safe and are having a great time. Believe we could do this on a cruise ship.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

As to the locality issue I agree with both @KirkNC and @cruisemom42 but the OP is talking about a Hawaii cruise.  For my TA and Med cruise next spring I am planning on full protocols, I accepted that risk when I booked, I will be pleasantly surprised if there is more leniency.  It is all about managing expectations and accepting the risks when you put your money down.

Part of my thinking in booking the cruise mentioned is that I am guessing that area of the world will be in better shape then others.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Part of my thinking in booking the cruise mentioned is that I am guessing that area of the world will be in better shape then others.

Last I checked Hawaii was doing quite well in vaccinating their own citizens and were welcoming tourists.  I think the HAL cruise stops in Ensenada to comply with US regulations concerning foreign ports and Mexico is welcoming tourists.  So as I see it the only obstacle is the CDC.  Personally wearing masks is not a real bother to me though I do understand those who have breathing difficulties not wanting a mask.