Email requesting we contact our state and federal MP’s

Just received this email from Ponant requesting we contact our state and federal MP’s to help support them in their quest to resume cruising.

This doesn’t bode well for the expected announcement for potential resumption of cruising in Australia in the coming weeks (post June 2021).

‘I am writing to you because I want you to know that we are disappointed that there is still no government endorsed framework to recommence cruising in Australia, despite concerted representations by the cruise industry to Federal and State governments.

The lack of government framework or timetable for a restart has resulted in us having to cancel many scheduled voyages, with resulting inconvenience and disruption for you, our loyal guests. Changed travel plans and cancelled hotels and flights add to the frustration. 

Allowing Australians to explore our coastline in small, modern, luxury expedition ships, with fully-vaccinated crews, would bring multiple benefits including revitalising struggling travel agencies, boosting remote and regional tourism and providing up to $1m to remote indigenous communities.

As the World Leader of Luxury Expeditions, we have safely run more than 65 voyages in many jurisdictions in the past 12 months, and we are ready to bring our small ships back to Australia, under unprecedented Covid protocols meeting all health and safety regulations. 

Ships would have fully-vaccinated crews, and between 160 and 200 Australian (and New Zealand) guests, all of whom would also be vaccinated and tested against Covid, according to local government vaccination roll out timelines.

We have proven air-conditioning and ventilation systems that use only fresh, non-recycled sea air and 100% of staterooms & suites have balconies. 

Onboard protocols for Australian waters would be exactly as laid down by the Australian State in which the ship is operating.

Reopening the Australian coast to expedition ships would help revitalise a devastated travel industry because, for example, 90% of Kimberley voyages are booked through travel agencies, providing valuable commissions to travel agents now starved of any income from international tourism. Expeditions to Australian destinations would provide a lifeline.

This would be a significant first step to moving beyond what the worst of Covid has done to the Australian travel industry. There are many thousands of Aussies already booked, and many more ready to book now - that would make a huge difference to struggling businesses.

By using the link below to contact your local MP, please join us in our efforts to have the Federal and State Governments rapidly approve an effective framework that is feasible for the operation of international expedition ships in Australia, for Australians.

I can assure you that we are doing everything in our power to resume safe operations in Australia.

Thank you for your support’

• Like 1

I would have more sympathy for Ponant if they hadn't advertised their cruises in Northern Australia, prior to getting Aust. Govt. approval.  They did the same in NZ!

Benefits of $1m to indigenous communities seem a stretch. 

I would love nothing better than a cruise in Aust on a small ship, but I think our Govt is looking out for Australians interests whilst the pandemic is still in the community.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I would have more sympathy for Ponant if they hadn't advertised their cruises in Northern Australia, prior to getting Aust. Govt. approval.  They did the same in NZ!

Benefits of $1m to indigenous communities seem a stretch. 

I would love nothing better than a cruise in Aust on a small ship, but I think our Govt is looking out for Australians interests whilst the pandemic is still in the community.  

To be fair, we had this booked in 2019, and I suspect the majority did also. They sell out quick when they are released. 
I will be disappointed like everyone here if it is cancelled but am more than happy to

live with the decisions of our government, so far it’s kept us safe. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

To be fair, we had this booked in 2019, and I suspect the majority did also. They sell out quick when they are released. 
I will be disappointed like everyone here if it is cancelled but am more than happy to

live with the decisions of our government, so far it’s kept us safe. 

I forget some people book so far ahead.  In that case, I guess you would be covered by travel insurance.

I see postings all over social media for petitions etc.

a danger for the proponents of these is that cruisers who want cruising to start are a very small subset of the voting population. Getting a small number of people will not necessarily achieve the outcome sought. Likely it may demonstrate there’s few votes in cruise ships 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I see postings all over social media for petitions etc.

a danger for the proponents of these is that cruisers who want cruising to start are a very small subset of the voting population. Getting a small number of people will not necessarily achieve the outcome sought. Likely it may demonstrate there’s few votes in cruise ships 

I totally agree. I read recently that the worth of Cruising to Sydney is annually around $4 Billion, and when put in to context that amount is a pittance in the overall amount of tourist dollars that flow into Sydney under normal circumstances.

The other thing  is that Ponant is a small player..... and out of reach for most....

Main stream line sailing a capital cities bring in a lot more money

and are in reach of most people...

Also cruising is about the last thing on pollies minds...

foremost is get elected and their pay check ( and finger pointing )

Don

• Like 1

Carnival Cruises Australia just put out a similar request via their FB page.  Different clientele to Ponant obviously. That are pushing the TAKE ACTION and personalise your message angle.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Carnival Cruises Australia just put out a similar request via their FB page.  Different clientele to Ponant obviously. That are pushing the TAKE ACTION and personalise your message angle.

9 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My experience is that Governments take no notice of mass generic letters on any topic.  To have any effect, people need to write to their local Member in their own words.  Then their Member can raise the matter at Party Meetings if there is enough interest.  

26 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My experience is that Governments take no notice of mass generic letters on any topic.  To have any effect, people need to write to their local Member in their own words.  Then their Member can raise the matter at Party Meetings if there is enough interest.  

The new way apparently is online petitions from groups like change.com etc.

55 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree, that’s why I previously said to little too late... there is no way a letter to my MP will have any affect on the state of cruising this year, it may (unlikely) have an impact for cruises down the track. 

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

Agree, that’s why I previously said to little too late... there is no way a letter to my MP will have any affect on the state of cruising this year, it may (unlikely) have an impact for cruises down the track. 

I don't think there are enough people (voters) in Australia interesting in cruising.  Even though I love small ship cruising and gifted my daughters a cruise each, neither are interested in cruising, although both are travellers.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I don't think there are enough people (voters) in Australia interesting in cruising.  Even though I love small ship cruising and gifted my daughters a cruise each, neither are interested in cruising, although both are travellers.  

In 2018 1.35 million Australians went on a cruise. That's a fair few voters.

In that same year 200,000 overseas visitors took cruises here.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

Just as a matter of interest I read up on petitioning the Federal Government and found this - 

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Petitions/House_of_Representatives_Petitions/Frequently_asked_questions regarding change dot petitions to the Prime Minister etc 

Will you accept a change dot org or any other electronic petition?

No.

Only e-petitions created using the e-petitions system will be accepted, if they meet all of the rules.

This is set out in the Standing Orders which are the rules of the House of Representatives (the House).

There is a petition "Removal of ban for Cruise Ships in Australia" already created under this rule  and currently has 30 signatures.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

There is a petition "Removal of ban for Cruise Ships in Australia" already created under this rule  and currently has 30 signatures.

With that sort of support, I cannot see that petition having any effect on the cruise ship ban.😒

13 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

Yep that’s going to be very effective 😂

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I think the majority are just happy to travel Australia for now by car or flight. I love cruising, my hubby only likes expedition cruising, I don’t need to do a cruise at the moment, happy to just travel Australia.

still undecided if we should book 2022 if the Kimberley season is cancelled this year..

49 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

I think the majority are just happy to travel Australia for now by car or flight. I love cruising, my hubby only likes expedition cruising, I don’t need to do a cruise at the moment, happy to just travel Australia.

still undecided if we should book 2022 if the Kimberley season is cancelled this year..

Deleted

Edited by Cruisegroover

2 hours ago, gogo65 said:

Nope! Although we did enjoy our month of travel from Sydney to South Australia and Victoria, it was not a relaxing holiday like a cruise is. Lots of driving, changing accommodation every few days, trying to find nice places to eat and so on. Added to that was the stress of not knowing until a few days before we left whether the SA border would be open to Sydneyites. We also had to plan alternatives for our trip back to Sydney in case of outbreaks while we were travelling.

I really, really want to get back on a cruise ship, preferably for a nice, long, relaxing trip like the Round Australia one. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Nope! Although we did enjoy our month of travel from Sydney to South Australia and Victoria, it was not a relaxing holiday like a cruise is. Lots of driving, changing accommodation every few days, trying to find nice places to eat and so on. Added to that was the stress of not knowing until a few days before we left whether the SA border would be open to Sydneyites. We also had to plan alternatives for our trip back to Sydney in case of outbreaks while we were travelling.

I really, really want to get back on a cruise ship, preferably for a nice, long, relaxing trip like the Round Australia one. 

Dont get me wrong, I want to be able to travel, but if this is what we have to do then at least the majority of Australians are making it work. We have had a trip to Egypt and Jordan canceled as well as a Galapagos cruise and most likely our upcoming Kimberley cruise.

As a result of the cancellations hubby and I decided to do a road trip to Queensland....

We had all refundable hotels booked just in case. 

Woke up on Saturday morning to the Pacific highway closed due to flooding, was meant to have 3 nights in Nambucca Heads, ended up going to Armidale for the night instead, woke up on Sunday morning with hundreds of people lining up at the one cafe opened to grab breakfast (clearly the town was not expecting a flood of tourists!), headed to the Gold Coast and called a friend and got a free dinner and a bed, followed by 3 nights in Brisbane. Last minute jumped on a flight to Cairns and had 5 lovely days in Palm Cove, all good until Brisbane went into lockdown! Changed our flights, got out of Cairns landed in Brisbane in lockdown (we were officially in lockdown because we had been in Brisbane on the dates), grabbed our car and drove as quickly as we could over the border, stayed with a relative who was also in lockdown for 3 days, drank way to much wine and then headed home.

Moral of the story, like most Aussies you make the most of it, we ended up catching up with friends and relatives that we hadn’t planned to and still had a great time!

Yes, we can make it work but trips like that become stressful instead of a relaxing break. I've been trying to find an affordable Queensland all-inclusive resort where we could chill out for a couple of weeks but even the cheapest are 2-3 times dearer than a cruise.