Email requesting we contact our state and federal MP’s

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, we can make it work but trips like that become stressful instead of a relaxing break. I've been trying to find an affordable Queensland all-inclusive resort where we could chill out for a couple of weeks but even the cheapest are 2-3 times dearer than a cruise. 

We managed a great last minute deal at Peppers in Palm Cove, although not all inclusive, the choice of restaurants within a few minutes walk was great!

2 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

We managed a great last minute deal at Peppers in Palm Cove, although not all inclusive, the choice of restaurants within a few minutes walk was great!

Was it a nice place to stay? We had a really bad experience at a Peppers some years ago. Crappy furniture, cockroaches in the room, a full stinky dirty ashtray on the balcony, getting a table at breakfast was a struggle, appalling bar service, and their wine list was so basic they didn't actually have wines that matched their dinner menu. All at over $500 per night. Consequently we're a bit leery of booking at a Peppers again. We did complain in writing but just got a stock response. No care, no responsibility.

I am driving down to Eden again tomorrow, 3 nights of fine wining, dining, and perhaps whale watching. Budgeted a grand, food, wine, motels, who cares, no cruising happening.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Was it a nice place to stay? We had a really bad experience at a Peppers some years ago. Crappy furniture, cockroaches in the room, a full stinky dirty ashtray on the balcony, getting a table at breakfast was a struggle, appalling bar service, and their wine list was so basic they didn't actually have wines that matched their dinner menu. All at over $500 per night. Consequently we're a bit leery of booking at a Peppers again. We did complain in writing but just got a stock response. No care, no responsibility.

You might like to consider Henzells Agency of Caloundra for holiday units or holiday houses in Caloundra.  Even though you have cooking facilities, there are a wide selection of cafes and restaurants from which to choose.  Off peak from less than $100 per night.  

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I am driving down to Eden again tomorrow, 3 nights of fine wining, dining, and perhaps whale watching. Budgeted a grand, food, wine, motels, who cares, no cruising happening.

Enjoy your trip to Eden.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

You might like to consider Henzells Agency of Caloundra for holiday units or holiday houses in Caloundra.  Even though you have cooking facilities, there are a wide selection of cafes and restaurants from which to choose.  Off peak from less than $100 per night.  

But I don't want a holiday unit or holiday house experience. I can get that anywhere. I want somewhere that provides all meals and twice daily room servicing, just like on a cruise. I don't mind paying extra for drinks but I want a certain level of amenities included. I want a holiday where I feel pampered, no cooking, no chores, a nice pool, and nightly entertainment, at cruise ship prices.

Seriously, it ain't going to happen in Australia at the price I want so I might as well stay home where I have a well equipped kitchen.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

To be honest it was ok, they didn’t have all the restaurants opened and were using Covid as an excuse. The rooms were starting to show some wear and tear, we had a spa on our deck but they have some rooms with private rooftop pools. I believe the Pullman is much better/newer 

12 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

To be honest it was ok, they didn’t have all the restaurants opened and were using Covid as an excuse. The rooms were starting to show some wear and tear, we had a spa on our deck but they have some rooms with private rooftop pools. I believe the Pullman is much better/newer 

Thanks, think we might pass on that one. We used to go to Port Douglas regularly for holidays. Visited Palm Cove a couple of times but it never really appealed to us. We loved the beach at Port Douglas, unlike Palm Cove there are no buildings overlooking it so it still retains that unspoilt feel. 

51 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thanks, think we might pass on that one. We used to go to Port Douglas regularly for holidays. Visited Palm Cove a couple of times but it never really appealed to us. We loved the beach at Port Douglas, unlike Palm Cove there are no buildings overlooking it so it still retains that unspoilt feel. 

The only all inclusive Queensland places I have stayed are O'Reillys in the Gold Coast hinterland and the Great Barrier Reef islands, with Lady Eliot Island being the last one.  

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The only all inclusive Queensland places I have stayed are O'Reillys in the Gold Coast hinterland and the Great Barrier Reef islands, with Lady Eliot Island being the last one.  

Yes, there aren't many and most of the ones that sound nice to us are mega-expensive luxury resorts so out of our price range. It just goes to show what good value cruises are and how hard it is to match that experience with land-based holidays.

If the next cruise season does get cancelled we'll probably do another road trip around August/September, up to Queensland. Might try to get as far as Mackay to catch up with friends there.

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, there aren't many and most of the ones that sound nice to us are mega-expensive luxury resorts so out of our price range. It just goes to show what good value cruises are and how hard it is to match that experience with land-based holidays.

If the next cruise season does get cancelled we'll probably do another road trip around August/September, up to Queensland. Might try to get as far as Mackay to catch up with friends there.

That would be nice.  Your Mackay friends would be able to get local discounts for the islands which would make them more affordable.