No mask Required at CocoCay

I don't think this bit was on the website yesterday....

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I don't think this bit was on the website yesterday....

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings.

I am assuming that is from the CDC site.  Great news

• Like 2

Yes, that part on the CDC website is a new update from last week: 

Mask Use

At this time, all persons, including port personnel, crew, and passengers are advised that CDC’s Mask Order remains in effect and requires the wearing of masks on conveyances entering, traveling within, or leaving the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs. (see Maritime-specific Frequently Asked Questions).

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.
  • Masks do not have to be worn while inside one’s own cabin.
  • Travelers should not wear a mask when doing activities that may get the mask wet, like swimming at the beach or in recreational water facilities. A wet mask can make it difficult to breathe and may not work as well when wet. This means it is particularly important for bathers to maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters) when in the water with others who are not traveling companions or part of the same family.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Good news, but not great news.  The only reason the CDC threw that "except in crowds" caveat in there was to protect the unvaccinated.

That still suggests you have to wear a mask poolside if you can't be 6 feet away.

Womp womp womp.

I think a realistic interpretation of this is reduced capacity (i. e. 'not so crowded') will allow more elbow room. Loungers are to be spaced out more. Perhaps you have to wear a mask while ordering at a bar or getting food at an outdoor venue which is far from unreasonable. Of course...the cruise lines themselves do not have to allow this if they don't want to. 

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Which website???

The CDC Guidance for Restricted Voyages:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Also...

Shore Excursions & Transportation Services

Participating in shore excursions and group transportation increases a person’s risk of getting and spreading COVID-19 by bringing people in close contact with others, often for prolonged periods. Additionally, participating in these activities in other communities and countries with high prevalence of COVID-19 further increases the risk of introduction of COVID-19 onto cruise ships.

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Good news, but not great news.  The only reason the CDC threw that "except in crowds" caveat in there was to protect the unvaccinated.

That still suggests you have to wear a mask poolside if you can't be 6 feet away.

I would imagine that they would space the lounge chairs and bar stools 6 ft apart the same way that they have been doing it in restaurants and resorts for the past year. You may have to sleep on deck if you want a chair for the next day.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.

That sounds good to me for our upcoming Adventure OTS cruise, where we are stopping at Cozumel and Grand Bahama, and really do not need a guided excursion to get to the beach.

This is like a "Well, Duh!"   The CDC has known for over a year that being outdoors does not require a mask.  I'm sure RCCL will reposition beach loungers to get more spacing, but other than that, vaccinated or non-vaccinated, being outside is good.  Being cooped up onside with poor ventilation is bad.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There are actually a lot of changes.  No "masks on in between bites"  or "no non-cruise line shore excursions" rule for vaccinated passengers.  Also the section about getting rid of buffets is gone.

The masks in-between bites was never actually in the CDC guidelines, just people's interpretation of the line "removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order."

The no non-cruise excursions is great! Seems the CDC is beginning to lighten up, which tells me that talks are going on behind the scenes. I don't think the CDC just decided to change these. There are probably ongoing conversations between the cruise lines and the CDC and these rules are continuously changing. That would be a very good sign.

Edit - sadly, the buffet limit is still there as far as I can see...it still says "Eliminate self-service food and drink options, such as self-service buffets, salad bars, and beverage stations."

Edited by jrapps
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Edit - sadly, the buffet limit is still there as far as I can see...it still says "Eliminate self-service food and drink options, such as self-service buffets, salad bars, and beverage stations."

Good catch. Maybe they were just cleaning up that inconsistency.

42 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.

OK what is considered extended?? Dessert??  😛

Edited by BecciBoo

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I take it to mean that a mask would be required while sitting between courses.

Wow, well reasonable supposition but even if you haven't moved and are still at the same table with the same mates?  The insanity continues.  Do the viruses fly around looking for people with their masks off longer than 10 minutes? 🙄 Seriously.  I can see putting on mask for a pit stop, but not if you're still sitting at the same table.  Nothing has changed.

Sometimes I wonder how these people come up with this stuff.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3