No mask Required at CocoCay

6 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

In my opinion, MDR meals in the MDR are extended (versus eating at a fast food place like McDonalds)

Cool...wear your mask.  We consider the MDR meals exactly like eating at McDonalds, so we won't be wearing ours (if they're leaving it to customer's to discern the rules lol)

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

OK what is considered extended?? Dessert??  😛

This is one of those "nobody knows" questions that causes rampant speculation on this forum. Until Royal or the CDC clarifies, anything posted here is just a guess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jrapps said:

The masks in-between bites was never actually in the CDC guidelines, just people's interpretation of the line "removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order."

Yes itis as I said in a recent post.  It was included in the safety briefing on my flight yesterday. "You must replace you mask after every bit of food or sip of drink."

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

He also made it sound like it was going to be announced at the travel agent webinar which I find a little doubtful

There is no  webinar scheduled next week as Vicki is in Washington.  If breaking news happens one will be called but it will be after the fact not to give us the information first

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

Travelers should not wear a mask when doing activities that may get the mask wet, like swimming at the beach or in recreational water facilities. A wet mask can make it difficult to breathe and may not work as well when wet. This means it is particularly important for bathers to maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters) when in the water with others who are not traveling companions or part of the same family.

I got it, stay in the pool ALL day....yeah. Except for the occasional pit stop, in which case you gotta get out, dry off, grab the mask and head for the can.  Makes perfect sense.

10 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Cool...wear your mask.  We consider the MDR meals exactly like eating at McDonalds, so we won't be wearing ours (if they're leaving it to customer's to discern the rules lol)

When we go out to eat at a restaurant in South Florida, we take our masks off as soon as we sit down, and they do not go back on until we are leaving. I plan to do the same on a cruise ship,!  

• Like 7

There is considerable groundswell in the public discourse, news cycles, general public interest, etc. about the status of the cruise industry relative to the No Sail Order.   Overlay that with what people are seeing with their own eyes as it relates to the light at the end of the tunnel, easing of restrictions, pent up demand for all sorts of discretionary spending, pent up anger at the ridiculousness of a lot of what's happening, and a CDC that seems to e a day late and a dollar short on most things, I can't see the CDC steeling their position much longer, but at the same time I see the CDC trying to save face.  The pressure is on and they know it.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I got it, stay in the pool ALL day....yeah. Except for the occasional pit stop, in which case you gotta get out, dry off, grab the mask and head for the can.  Makes perfect sense.

I find that the CDC words things in a very weird way!

8 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Yes itis as I said in a recent post.  It was included in the safety briefing on my flight yesterday. "You must replace you mask after every bit of food or sip of drink."

Yes, and as I pointed out on previous threads, this is a TSA rule, not a CDC one. Nowhere on the CDC website does it (or has it ever) said anything about replacing masks between bites and sips.

Unless the TSA suddenly has jurisdiction over cruise ships, this has not (yet) been stated anywhere as a requirement on cruise ships. I'm not saying that it won't, but we have enough to worry about with the rules they have posted, let's not invent new ones.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I find that the CDC words things in a very weird way!

I wonder if they actually do a runthrough of what the situation would be like, walking in, sitting down, ordering, being served to see if what they come up with actually works......nah, don't think so!

31 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I take it to mean that a mask would be required while sitting between courses.

I highly doubt that. I live in NYS and even with some of the outrageous mandates we have, we only have to wear a mask in a restaurant until we are seated at the table. We don't have to wear it at any time while seated. Ya never know tho. 

• Like 3

Let's hope this leads to no masks required anywhere on open decks.  I don't sit by the pool but it would be nice to be outside without a mask - just like I do at home and have been doing ever since last March.

(And I have been wearing masks inside and am fully vaccinated.)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

When we go out to eat at a restaurant in South Florida, we take our masks off as soon as we sit down, and they do not go back on until we are leaving. I plan to do the same on a cruise ship,!  

In TX we don’t even wear a mask that much when we go out to eat. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Yes, and as I pointed out on previous threads, this is a TSA rule, not a CDC one. Nowhere on the CDC website does it (or has it ever) said anything about replacing masks between bites and sips.

Unless the TSA suddenly has jurisdiction over cruise ships, this has not (yet) been stated anywhere as a requirement on cruise ships. I'm not saying that it won't, but we have enough to worry about with the rules they have posted, let's not invent new ones.

And the brief said per cdc quidance... thought I would have to recite the entire briefing 

17 minutes ago, stephiek814 said:

I highly doubt that. I live in NYS and even with some of the outrageous mandates we have, we only have to wear a mask in a restaurant until we are seated at the table. We don't have to wear it at any time while seated. Ya never know tho. 

Just going by what the CDC posted.  It's either what I stated or masking between bites unless you have another way to interpret "wearing of masks for extended meals"

• Like 1

Just now, mauraoel said:

And the brief said per cdc quidance... thought I would have to recite the entire briefing 

This is another one of those examples of how the language everyone uses confuses the situation.

The CDC "guidance" (for airplanes) says: (key word here is GUIDANCE)

While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.

The TSA then INTERPRETED this order to implement their own "Security Directive". This is where it evolved from "Guidance" to "Rule" Here is their order (on TSA letterhead, not CDC letterhead)

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/sd-1542-21-01.pdf

It states masks must be worn "While eating, drinking, or taking oral medications for brief periods.  Prolonged periods of mask removal are not permitted for eating or drinking; the mask must be worn between bites and sips."

I know when you were on the plane, they said "CDC Guidelines" blah blah blah...the simple fact is, there is no CDC order, mandate, website, printed declaration, anywhere that says you must wear masks between sips and bites. If it exists, I can't find it and I've looked. But there IS a TSA document that states it.

3 minutes ago, jrapps said:

This is another one of those examples of how the language everyone uses confuses the situation.

The CDC "guidance" (for airplanes) says: (key word here is GUIDANCE)

While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.

The TSA then INTERPRETED this order to implement their own "Security Directive". This is where it evolved from "Guidance" to "Rule" Here is their order (on TSA letterhead, not CDC letterhead)

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/sd-1542-21-01.pdf

It states masks must be worn "While eating, drinking, or taking oral medications for brief periods.  Prolonged periods of mask removal are not permitted for eating or drinking; the mask must be worn between bites and sips."

I know when you were on the plane, they said "CDC Guidelines" blah blah blah...the simple fact is, there is no CDC order, mandate, website, printed declaration, anywhere that says you must wear masks between sips and bites. If it exists, I can't find it and I've looked. But there IS a TSA document that states it.

Thank you sharing you opinion.   

• Like 1