No mask Required at CocoCay

19 hours ago, harkinmr said:

You have lived having to mask up between bites of food?  

Still think we need a mask that has a round flap area around the mouth - velcro - that can easily be opened up - take a sip or a bite - and close it again in between!!!  Someone could probably make a fortune with that idea. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

And what I'm saying is that THE GUIDELINES ARE CHANGING EVERY SINGLE DAY. If you're of the opinion that "all that matters is what the rules are today," then you're not paying enough attention.

Every single day I read of another country opening up to tourism in Europe, every single day I read a news story about restrictions being relaxed with regard to social distancing, mask wearing, outdoor/indoor dining, etc, and every single day I see another report showing either that the CDC's recommendations are being challenged because their evidence was flawed or the CDC itself is easing its own restrictions. So unless you're boarding a cruise ship TODAY, what the rules are today matters little. What matters is the trends, and they are getting better every day, so by the time you actually sail, I say they'll be much looser. Only time will tell who's right.

If you are looking too book a cruise that is in the immediate future then you absolutely must base your decisions on exactly how things stand today.  Say you wanted to cruise in July on one of the new sailings that for now requires vaccinations...you need a vaccination, if you haven't had it it will take you that long to get both vaccinations and have the 14 day waiting period prior to sailing.  It would be foolish not to get one because "things may change" and I might not need it.  Now if you are not planning on sailing until December then you have time to wait but at some point in time there is a date where you can no longer wait for changes before you make your decision.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you are looking too book a cruise that is in the immediate future then you absolutely must base your decisions on exactly how things stand today.  Say you wanted to cruise in July on one of the new sailings that for now requires vaccinations...you need a vaccination, if you haven't had it it will take you that long to get both vaccinations and have the 14 day waiting period prior to sailing.  It would be foolish not to get one because "things may change" and I might not need it.  Now if you are not planning on sailing until December then you have time to wait but at some point in time there is a date where you can no longer wait for changes before you make your decision.

July is 2 months away, plenty of time for someone to book a cruise now (unvaccinated) and either GET vaccinated by July or, if Royal changes its mind and updates the requirements, not need one, anyway.

I don't disagree with the notion that you can only go by what the rules are at any given moment. My point is that when you see the rules change nearly every day, it's just rather foolish to keep saying (as you appear to be doing) "well the rules are this way and that's how they'll stay, these here rules aren't changing anytime soon, no siree!" I disagree, the only constant is change. Do as you wish.

FYI my wife and I have a cruise booked for a country we aren't currently allowed to visit, but I'm still making final payment later this month but I strongly believe we will be allowed in by the time we sail. If I'm wrong, we have more than a year to use the money. So it's possible, as you can see, for someone to know today's rules, predict they'll change, and have a backup plan in case they don't.

10 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Yeah, I'd like to see "vaccinated or recovered" maybe.  I was down for 2-1/2 weeks and my wife had it much worse and, unfortunately, is one of the "long-haulers" who still has symptoms over a year later despite having antibodies.

Please do a little research looking in to having the vaccine for your wife. There apparently is some data suggesting the MRNA vaccines provide relief for long haulers. Not everyone, but somewhere north of 50% last I saw. Covid did a pretty good number on my wife last year. She had the fever/chills side effects from both does of Moderna, I only had slight effects from second shot. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

July is 2 months away, plenty of time for someone to book a cruise now (unvaccinated) and either GET vaccinated by July or, if Royal changes its mind and updates the requirements, not need one, anyway.

I don't disagree with the notion that you can only go by what the rules are at any given moment. My point is that when you see the rules change nearly every day, it's just rather foolish to keep saying (as you appear to be doing) "well the rules are this way and that's how they'll stay, these here rules aren't changing anytime soon, no siree!" I disagree, the only constant is change. Do as you wish.

FYI my wife and I have a cruise booked for a country we aren't currently allowed to visit, but I'm still making final payment later this month but I strongly believe we will be allowed in by the time we sail. If I'm wrong, we have more than a year to use the money. So it's possible, as you can see, for someone to know today's rules, predict they'll change, and have a backup plan in case they don't.

The beginning of July is a month and a half so you have just enough time to get 2 shots plus the 14 day post second shot wait.

I'm not disagreeing that things are changing and I'm certainly not basing anything about my future cruises on what is in place now but when it comes time to make final payment then I need to decide...unless I want to get yet another FCC.

Like I said, there is a time that you need to decide and that for many people can be 3 months prior to the cruise.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-gupta-cdc-mask-guidance  Fox published this, but the review came from CNN so take your pick.  This is Sanjay Gupta, American neurosurgeon, medical reporter, and writer.

"If you’re vaccinated, I don’t think you need to wear a mask indoors either," Gupta said. "This is what the science is sort of showing, and I think the CDC just needs to probably say that. They’re erring on the side of caution. I get it. I think we've all been traumatized here, but I think at this point it has to be very clear what the science shows, and what you can do as a result of that." 

The tide is definitely turning.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The beginning of July is a month and a half so you have just enough time to get 2 shots plus the 14 day post second shot wait.

Unless you're going to one of the embarkation points located outside the US, I highly doubt many people will be sailing at the beginning of July. And those who did, already knew the rules when they booked.

I think we've reached "dead horse beaten" stage and I'll drop it. Have a good one!

9 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Please do a little research looking in to having the vaccine for your wife. There apparently is some data suggesting the MRNA vaccines provide relief for long haulers. Not everyone, but somewhere north of 50% last I saw. Covid did a pretty good number on my wife last year. She had the fever/chills side effects from both does of Moderna, I only had slight effects from second shot. 

I did see that research and thanks.  But, she has seen some research showing just the opposite. Plus, I was down for a day after dose 1 (Pfizer) and 2-1/2 days after dose 2 which prompted her to cancel her appointment.

So, I think that she will shoot for Moderna when she builds up enough courage or as we get closer to sailing.

Edited by ricka47

5 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

May 12, 2021

Holding up his mask, Biden said, “If you’re vaccinated, you don’t have to wear this outside, around people unless there’s really large groups, and you don’t have to wear it inside if you’re with people that have also been vaccinated.”

Although this statement was after emerging from a White House meeting with Congressional members where all were vaccinated in which they all had masks.

So, it looks like the masking of those vaccinated will continue to wane, and then we can look forward to the "except for" riders like "really large groups."

Again, either the vaccines work or they don't.  If they do, vaccinated crew and passenger restricted cruises should be not long for mask free (however, I doubt that will be the case for a couple of months just out of spite).

Well, "don't have to" in no ways means "not allowed to". And considering some of the repeated lies that come from people in Congress, I certainly wouldn't be completely trusting of believing they were all vaccinated. So if I had to be in the same room with all of them at once, wearing a mask for that half hour or hour or so might be something worthwhile.

Wearing the mask also allows you to make faces at the stupidity you have to listen to without it becoming a major event in the press. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Unless you're going to one of the embarkation points located outside the US, I highly doubt many people will be sailing at the beginning of July. And those who did, already knew the rules when they booked.

I think we've reached "dead horse beaten" stage and I'll drop it. Have a good one!

My very first post on this subject to the person I was providing information for made it quite clear that I was referring to ports that were not in the US....I guess you missed that.

20 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Still think we need a mask that has a round flap area around the mouth - velcro - that can easily be opened up - take a sip or a bite - and close it again in between!!!  Someone could probably make a fortune with that idea. 

Early on I saw someone selling masks with a small velcro flap providing room for a straw.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

My very first post on this subject to the person I was providing information for made it quite clear that I was referring to ports that were not in the US....I guess you missed that.

Yes, I did, this thread has 189 posts, I apologize for not memorizing them all. 😉👍

And I meant that tongue-in-cheek, BTW. I like chatting with you. Also I think I assumed since the thread title was about Coco Cay, we were talking about US-based cruises. But every thread has the potential to waver..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Well, "don't have to" in no ways means "not allowed to". And considering some of the repeated lies that come from people in Congress, I certainly wouldn't be completely trusting of believing they were all vaccinated. So if I had to be in the same room with all of them at once, wearing a mask for that half hour or hour or so might be something worthwhile.

Wearing the mask also allows you to make faces at the stupidity you have to listen to without it becoming a major event in the press. 🙂

LOL.  Good points.  👍 

This article is quite interesting to read, especially what Dr Gupta had to say about not requiring vaccinated people to wear masks indoors (yes, indoors).

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-gupta-cdc-mask-guidance

Yes, it's from Fox News but it references CNN's Dr Sanjay Gupta.

There's a great quote attributed to St Augustine. He said "if you believe what you like about the gospel and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself."

So by extension, if you trust science when it recommends mask wearing but don't trust it when it ceases recommending them, then it is not the science you believe, but yourself. Food for thought.

• Like 3

No flames please.  I cannot rap my head around a medical doctor telling a patient there is no reason to get the vaccine.  I know people who died from covid.  I have friends who wound up in the hospital with covid but thankfully were not on respirators.

My husband and I are double vaxed, we go outside with no masks and have started eating in restaurants.  Only people wearing masks are wait staff.  

Here in TX, our Governor opened up our state, no masks necessary.  Yet, every single store I go into has a prominent sign posted that masks are mandatory.  I'm glad about that.  We still have to practice caution.  

To all those anxious to book cruises: enjoy, have smooth sails and stay safe.

I'll wait until 2023 to cruise again.

5 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

No flames please.  I cannot rap my head around a medical doctor telling a patient there is no reason to get the vaccine.  I know people who died from covid.  I have friends who wound up in the hospital with covid but thankfully were not on respirators.

My husband and I are double vaxed, we go outside with no masks and have started eating in restaurants.  Only people wearing masks are wait staff.  

Here in TX, our Governor opened up our state, no masks necessary.  Yet, every single store I go into has a prominent sign posted that masks are mandatory.  I'm glad about that.  We still have to practice caution.  

To all those anxious to book cruises: enjoy, have smooth sails and stay safe.

I'll wait until 2023 to cruise again.

Soothing salve here....there is substantial evidence that natural infection is protective and long lasting.  The same can be said for vaccines.  The vaccine delivers a calibrated quantity of active ingredient that your body responds to.  Natural infection delivers an uncalibrated quantity of virus that your body may or may not handle without effect.  It appears if your body gets a large dose, the reaction back is stronger (more antibodies).  We dont know how much that matters as it relates to reinfection risk.  Jumping in altitude again, previously infected people are protected so once infected no need to vaccinate  a la chicken pox, measels, polio.  The difference with flu as I understand has to do with the structure of the virus itself and it's a ability to mutate and such.  I'm not in medicine but have done a lot of reading in the last year.  Dont believe me - seek out yourself.

19 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

This article is quite interesting to read, especially what Dr Gupta had to say about not requiring vaccinated people to wear masks indoors (yes, indoors).

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-gupta-cdc-mask-guidance

Yes, it's from Fox News but it references CNN's Dr Sanjay Gupta.

There's a great quote attributed to St Augustine. He said "if you believe what you like about the gospel and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself."

So by extension, if you trust science when it recommends mask wearing but don't trust it when it ceases recommending them, then it is not the science you believe, but yourself. Food for thought.

Paradoxically, "being true to yourself" means one is grounded in principle.🤔

• Like 1