CDC Operations Manual Updates 5/12/21

markeb

Last week's thread is already fairly long, and there was a suggestion to start a new one. Thought I would quickly.

The Operations Manual was updated today. It unfortunately does not highlight changes, but if you look through quickly, especially for guidance for vaccinated passengers, there are a number of significant changes. Remember this is an industry document, and each cruise line can implement what it chooses, but a number of requirements (masks wear, excursions, etc.) are much less restrictive for vaccinated passengers.

The document is https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As @markeband @Jeremiah1212as well as others have suggested, these new additions are definitely potential game changers and deserve their own thread.

Shore Excursions & Transportation Services

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.

Mask Use

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings.

COVID-19 Operations Manual for Simulated and Restricted Voyages under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order | Quarantine | CDC

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

My only remaining issues are the remaining indoor dining restrictions.  Perhaps meals can be served outside?  Outside requires the weather to cooperate.

This is definitely a step in the right direction.

Edited by NMTraveller

As predicted, the guidelines will continue to evolve. I wish people would understand that it will be a gradual process and not to regard any specific guideline as "set in stone" for the time being. Maybe that would help with the angry rants. :classic_dry:

I like the general direction that they are headed with the shore excursions, I just wish it were a little less weighted toward "left to the ship's discretion" and more toward "it is okay as long as the country/port does not have a requirement to do so".

We'll get there...

• Like 15

• Ken the cruiser changed the title to New updates (5/12/21) to the CSO Operations Manual for Simulated and Restricted Voyages

The deal breaker for me is the tight masking restrictions on indoor dining.  I can only take my mask off for brief periods of time?  Does not sound like fine dining.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The remaining issue that I have are the indoor dining restrictions.  This is a much more reasonable set of rules.  However maybe meals can be consumed outdoors?  Outdoors requires the weather to cooperate.

Looks like we may have a peak at what they're thinking of by looking at the Millennium sailings out of St. Maarten on the app. These were two of the dining options. To my knowledge, these are both new and they are both outdoors. 

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Looks like we may have a peak at what they're thinking of by looking at the Millennium sailings out of St. Maarten on the app. These were two of the dining options. To my knowledge, these are both new and they are both outdoors. 

image.png

image.png

Thanks.

49 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The deal breaker for me is the tight masking restrictions on indoor dining.  I can only take my mask off for brief periods of time?  Does not sound like fine dining.

But what is considered a "brief period"?  For me, it's the moment I sit my butt down until I am done.  Period.  I will not constantly put on/take off a mask with each course.  I'm fully vaccinated.  If the table are far enough a apart, there should be absolutely zero issue. Something Dr. Fauci has mentioned.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Let's see. Since that's the language out of the mask order for all conveyances, which is a higher level document than this, I'm pretty sure they'll have to revise or reissue that order to actually change the language in the Operations Manual. Nobody likes bureaucracy, but this isn't a true policy document, so it would have to reflect existing policy.

The language is still fuzzy enough for the cruise lines to propose back some definition they can work with. Things are changing pretty fast for a very conservative, data driven organization. Even if it seems slow. 

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

Anyone know where that "Lawn Club" is on the Millennium?   The app says Deck 3, but I would find that to be a strange place to grow grass.

Or would this be another example of web/app content providers being a bit out of the loop?

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Anyone know where that "Lawn Club" is on the Millennium?   The app says Deck 3, but I would find that to be a strange place to grow grass.

Or would this be another example of web/app content providers being a bit out of the loop?

Great catch, that should be an error all together. The Millennium doesn't have a lawn club and when I clicked "Find on Deck", it just took me aft on deck 3 which was Tuscan Grill. 

17 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

I’m sure the dining rules will change especially as Celebrity has two private dining areas, one for Suites and one for Aqua, which after paying extra for these no one is going to trade for BBQ outside .

I’d love to sit outside for a BBQ

• Like 2

1 minute ago, K.T.B. said:

So would I, but I'd prefer something a little less windy than a moving ship....  :classic_wink:

you can eat it in your cabin, and take the mask down between bites

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

you can eat it in your cabin, and take the mask down between bites

I just had an image pop into my head of the next "What can you ask a butler to do" thread: "He can stand behind you while you eat and raise and lower your mask between bites and sips."

Sorry.

I'll go sit in the corner and think about what I've done. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

22 minutes ago, flyhi120 said:

I am starting to hope my cruise on Celebrity cancels and I get my money back.  I have a pool at home and I don’t eat grab and go.  

Grab and Go is a recommendation only, and an option. It's not a requirement, and Celebrity hasn't adopted it, at least not yet.

Edited by markeb

1 hour ago, flyhi120 said:

I am starting to hope my cruise on Celebrity cancels and I get my money back.  I have a pool at home and I don’t eat grab and go.  

My understanding is that during the relaxed Covid CEL booking procedures you can get your money back even during the penalty phase . Of course that may not included expenses not booked through CEL.