CDC Operations Manual Updates 5/12/21

markeb

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The CDC has come under pressure in the past day or two from politicians and medical experts too.  On their inconsistency on masks in particular.  I can dine on land in an indoor restaurant without a mask at a table.  I am vaccinated.  Indoor dining on land does not have any distinction on vaccinated or not vaccinated.  So I am at more risk on land dining indoors than on a fully vaccinated cruise ship.  And my risk outdoors is pretty much zero.

Isn't the use of masks indoors while dining up to the state you are in, not because of what the CDC recommends for indoor dining even if vaccinated.

Just scanning the CDC website it appears that they still do recommend masks for those vaccinated whenever indoors in a public area.

I just returned from a two week trip through northern CA and Oregon.  Masks were required whenever indoors in a public area, including going to/from your table in restaurants.

Edited by nocl

Just now, nocl said:

Isn't the use of masks indoors while dining up to the state you are in, not because of what the CDC recommends for indoor dining even if vaccinated.

Just scanning the CDC website it appears that they still do recommend masks for those vaccinated whenever indoors in a public area.

I just returned from a two week trip through northern CA and Oregon.  Masks were required whenever indoors in a public area, including going to/from your table in restaurants.

Yes it is up to each state.  They have capacity and mask rules for indoor and outdoor dining.  Most states if not all allow indoor dining with no mask while seated and eating.  Just when you are walking to/from table or restrooms.  

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Yes it is up to each state.  They have capacity and mask rules for indoor and outdoor dining.  Most states if not all allow indoor dining with no mask while seated and eating.  Just when you are walking to/from table or restrooms.  

However, the CDC recommendations are still consistent with their cruise recommendations when it comes to inside dining.

Is the 7 day rule also gone? 

The CSO document itself says 7 days max but it may be lengthened or shortened based on public health considerations and as set forth in technical instructions or orders. The latest technical instructions/operations manual do not mention the guideline.

Does the initial CSO document inherently apply here or is it removed since it is not stipulated in the ops manual? 

1 minute ago, nocl said:

However, the CDC recommendations are still consistent with their cruise recommendations when it comes to inside dining.

But even California has decided to open up without waiting for CDC to move.  June 15 vaccinated people in California will not have to wear masks for anything except "huge, large-scale indoor convention events."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/newsom-californians-not-required-wear-masks-most-cases-june-15

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nocl said:

Sounds like a Saturday Night Live skit, no mask, no service.  Enough already, I am sitting at the damn table and going to enjoy (sans mask) my meal, drinks and friends company immensely, we have all been vaxed up.  Time to move forward!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, markeb said:

I'm betting that language changes, Rick. But it has to change in the mask order first, which applies to all conveyances, and is going to be a higher level document. This manual isn't where you rescind that order. 

They've clarified a lot of it out of existence on the ship, and the language that's still there was almost certainly written to address a two hour business class food service with follow on drinks on a seven hour flight. The situation in a fixed dining room on the ship is different, and I think there's enough wiggle room for the cruise lines to propose that a normal meal service with social distancing and without masks while at the table meets the intent of the order. 

Is this pending change what you were referring to?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just added this to another thread…….think we’ll get it covered!  well, covered with posts, not Masks!!!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I wish I could say I was that prescient!

This has kind of been telegraphed for days now. It looks like it's coming from the CDC at a White House briefing, which also doesn't surprise me. Which also explains the hesitancy a few days back on Dr. Walensky to answer the "do we need to wear masks outdoors" question; the answer was going to be "no" for the most part, but there was a pretty major announcement already in the works that she didn't want to get ahead of.

I wouldn't be surprised to see changes to the mask order that would allow a direct change to the operations manual without having to tap dance around a higher level requirement. I don't have a good guess for when that might be, or what it might look like. Given that yesterday's operations manual update was pretty major, I'd "think" a change to the mask order isn't going to happen in the next few days, but who knows!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Rules are lightened up but we still can't cruise.....I don't get it.

Getting cruises going in a large way still has hurdles including crew.

#1 travel to and from many countries for crew is problematic 

#2 there will be a huge number of new crew who will need several weeks of training plus Covid vaccinations and likely quarantine on arrival to their ship

Am sure there are more.

45 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

And there it is.  Once the cruise lines see that, all they need to do is require 100% vaccinated passengers and we're good to go.

I'll edit in this:  Seeing that news makes the recent requirements for the cruise lines to start up again even more idiotic by the CDC.  They should've waited, or the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.  Either way, not a good look.

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Now if the cruise lines can just get the go-ahead to ask passengers at Florida ports if they have been vaccinated prior to boarding, that would be another big positive! I know, baby steps ... 😎

I'm even more thankful that my next cruise is out of California now!

3 hours ago, nocl said:

Well the CDC has finally admitted what's been obvious to the rest of the world.  Vaccinated people are well protected against Covid and don't pose a risk to anyone.  Just because the CDC guidelines were internally consistent, did not make them correct.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Well the CDC has finally admitted what's been obvious to the rest of the world.  Vaccinated people are well protected against Covid and don't pose a risk to anyone.  Just because the CDC guidelines were internally consistent, did not make them correct.  

One thing to point out:  It took meeting with the President and his advisors on the pandemic for the CDC to make this change.  Regardless, this is some great news for a change from the CDC!

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

And there it is.  Once the cruise lines see that, all they need to do is require 100% vaccinated passengers and we're good to go.

I'll edit in this:  Seeing that news makes the recent requirements for the cruise lines to start up again even more idiotic by the CDC.  They should've waited, or the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.  Either way, not a good look.

Unfortunately, the CDC also included the following:

There are a few caveats, however. People who have compromised immune systems, for example, should talk to their doctors about continuing with mitigation measures. And even fully vaccinated people may still be asked to wear masks in certain places, such as in hospitals or other health care settings, as well as public transportation

Thus, inside a cruise ship may still be included in this caveat.

5 hours ago, nocl said:

Not surprised...not seeing much if any mask wearing in my area, other than Costco...they will probably never give up the control.  It has saved me money, I hate shopping with a mask on. 

17 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Unfortunately, the CDC also included the following:

There are a few caveats, however. People who have compromised immune systems, for example, should talk to their doctors about continuing with mitigation measures. And even fully vaccinated people may still be asked to wear masks in certain places, such as in hospitals or other health care settings, as well as public transportation

Thus, inside a cruise ship may still be included in this caveat.

A curse ship is none of those things. Private transportation, IMHO. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

One thing to point out:  It took meeting with the President and his advisors on the pandemic for the CDC to make this change.  Regardless, this is some great news for a change from the CDC!

Probably not. The CDC would have provided its input to the advisors (that's what the Executive Order in January requires). The change was announced at the White House. Masks on public transit were a White House initiative. So announcing a change from there just means things have been coordinated, which they should be. That's all it means.

It seems to me that fully vaccinated cruises should be allowed to be maskless.  The risks in public transportation are that there will be a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated people.

I personally will not go on a ship with any unvaccinated folks.

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But even California has decided to open up without waiting for CDC to move.  June 15 vaccinated people in California will not have to wear masks for anything except "huge, large-scale indoor convention events."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/newsom-californians-not-required-wear-masks-most-cases-june-15

its not  June 15 yet.  If you noticed CDC has changed some of their recommendations for vaccinated individuals today.

4 minutes ago, nocl said:

its not  June 15 yet.  If you noticed CDC has changed some of their recommendations for vaccinated individuals today.

where are you getting your "news", I think from thin air, wake up already!  Just came in from my 3rd walk of the day with Oreo, our pup, none of us wore masks, was exhilarating, we even pretended he was a pig and glossed him up with lovely lipstick, just could not get him to fly

Edited by LGW59

4 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Except the cruise lines have not committed to requiring vaccination yet.  That is why the requirements have to address the non-vaccination option.

Of the big 3 only NCL has made the public statement that they will require vaccination on their US cruises.

Even with CDC making it obvious that requiring vaccination is the way to go the cruise lines do not seem willing to go that route to get cruising faster out of the US.

Between the statements concerning excursions and masking changes for those vaccinated on board, together with todays announcement makes it pretty clear that things will be much like what we are used to, if the lines require vaccination.

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

where are you getting your "news", I think from thin air, wake up already!

Where do you get your news from? Did you not hear about CDC updating their mask recommendations today for those fully vaccinated?

As well as the changes to the CSO manual adding more options to the cruise line for fully vaccinated passengers.

But then again you seem more interested in making snide comments than any real discussion.

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Getting cruises going in a large way still has hurdles including crew.

#1 travel to and from many countries for crew is problematic 

#2 there will be a huge number of new crew who will need several weeks of training plus Covid vaccinations and likely quarantine on arrival to their ship

Am sure there are more.

There is also

1. The cruise lines need to decide if they are going to require vaccination or not

2. The cruise lines need to complete their port agreements

3. If they are not going to require vaccination they need to submit plans for and perform test cruises

4 Submit plans for revenue cruises and get approval from CDC

Without those the lines are merely in waiting mode for the pandemic state of emergency to end in the US.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 2