CDC Operations Manual Updates 5/12/21

markeb

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Well the CDC has finally admitted what's been obvious to the rest of the world.  Vaccinated people are well protected against Covid and don't pose a risk to anyone.  Just because the CDC guidelines were internally consistent, did not make them correct.  

If it is so obvious to the rest of the world then why are masks still part of the health protocols for cruises in other countries, even with vaccinations?

• Like 1

They do still seem worried about variants.   They are still requiring tests for re-entering the US when traveling internationally as well as recommending returning travelers get tested 3-5 days after return even for fully vaccinated travelers.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, nocl said:

Where do you get your news from? Did you not hear about CDC updating their mask recommendations today for those fully vaccinated?

As well as the changes to the CSO manual adding more options to the cruise line for fully vaccinated passengers.

But then again you seem more interested in making snide comments than any real discussion.

184266502_4933387650090781_4863817069681068227_n.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

They do still seem worried about variants.   They are still requiring tests for re-entering the US when traveling internationally as well as recommending returning travelers get tested 3-5 days after return even for fully vaccinated travelers.

There will always be variants.  If you were worried about variants, them you would never reopen the world.  The fact is that mutations have been happening for almost two years and no serious variants have developed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

The Seychelles is running into that now.  They are the most vaccinated country in the world. Higher percentage than Israel.  However the vaccines they used SinoPharm and AZ showed efficacy against the original strain, but not so much against the strain hitting them now.  30% of their cases are vaccinated.

Many of those in the UK, the EU and several other countries are vaccinated with a AZ vaccine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

There will always be variants.  If you were worried about variants, them you would never reopen the world.  The fact is that mutations have been happening for almost two years and no serious variants have developed.  

No you get the case counts down, that reduces the odds of a vaccine resistant strain from appearing.

They have if you are vaccinated with the AZ vaccine.  South Africa dropped the vaccine because it did not show efficacy against that variant (less than 10%).  One of the main reason the UK is watching international travel so tightly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nocl said:

No you get the case counts down, that reduces the odds of a vaccine resistant strain from appearing.

They have if you are vaccinated with the AZ vaccine.  South Africa dropped the vaccine because it did not show efficacy against that variant (less than 10%).  One of the main reason the UK is watching international travel so tightly.

So you’re saying it’s really out of our control.   The world needs to stay in lockdown until case counts are down across the world?   That’s unreasonable.  

Some vaccines are are better than others.   That’s the benefit of having several different groups developing vaccines.  

17 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Politics.  It's the work of government bureaucrats across the world.  Are you now questioning the CDC?  Suddenly they are not afraid of variants, breakthrough cases or infecting others, things that you have been talking about for weeks.  None of that was true.

Why is it always black or white with you?  Is there no room for nuanced thinking?

Of course the CDC is still worried about variants et al -- that is their job, ultimately to protect the health of the public. And yes, they are "following the science" -- NOT leading it, following it. You know, let's take a step at a time.  Albeit too slowly for the taste of some, but you may be surprised to know there are others who are expressing concern that CDC is easing the mask mandate too soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Why is it always black or white with you?  Is there no room for nuanced thinking?

Of course the CDC is still worried about variants et al -- that is their job, ultimately to protect the health of the public. And yes, they are "following the science" -- NOT leading it, following it. You know, let's take a step at a time.  Albeit too slowly for the taste of some, but you may be surprised to know there are others who are expressing concern that CDC is easing the mask mandate too soon.

Sure, someone should be on the lookout for variants, but you don't close the world waiting for a problem that may never occur.  The virus has already had a long time to replicate and mutate and nothing more serious has developed.  Maybe you should factor that into your thinking.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Maybe he misplaced his kaleidoscope?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

there are others who are expressing concern that CDC is easing the mask mandate too soon.

Yes....let's stay in this state of fear until we are 100% "safe".  Absolutely safe.  Completely safe. Safe is more important than being a free man.

Time to crawl back under the bed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

Yes....let's stay in this state of fear until we are 100% "safe".  Absolutely safe.  Completely safe. Safe is more important than being a free man.

While I do agree with the easing of the mask mandate, I still also respect folks who are not comfortable with that at this point.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

While I do agree with the easing of the mask mandate, I still also respect folks who are not comfortable with that at this point.  

Good.   

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

If those uncomfortable are just "following the science", then either:

A) The "science" is flawed, or

B) I never believe in the "science", but just what I'm feeling.

If you've been acting as the CDC tells you because of "science" for the past year, shouldn't you be doing the same now and act as they advise?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you've been acting as the CDC tells you because of "science" for the past year, shouldn't you be doing the same now and act as they advise?

I think you missed ‘C’ which is C) I understand CDC is saying its safe but its not 100% so I’ll continue to wear a mask. Kind of what most are saying who aren’t ready to drop the mask off.

So, as in most things, its not as simple as being presented for all. Some want absolute certainty. Some love to play the ‘Yes, Buts’ and are well aware that there’s not much a scientist will say is 100%. Maybe it’s 99.9998% but not absolutely 100%. .

Heck, even the ‘absolutes’ we talk about aren’t. The Speed of Light is considered a Universal Constant, but the speed of light slows in different medium. So an amateur such as me will say, ‘well, its not 100% constant!!’. 

Boy did this thread go far afield!

Den

Edited by Denny01

20 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

OK, so it is for YOU to dictate what others should do and/or feel comfortable with.  I am not uncomfortable w/o a mask, others are, so Doc, go back to your lab.

• Like 1

Testing of Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages

Screening Testing of All Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages
  Not Fully Vaccinated Passengers Fully Vaccinated Passengers
Embarkation Day Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable*
Disembarkation Day Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable
Back-to-Back Sailing¥ Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable
Edited by paulh84
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes operations manual was updated yesterday, summary of changes at the top.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

They also mention the cruise as being a conveyance.

You still have the airlines dining rules with mask off only for a brief period of time indoors.

Edited by NMTraveller

20 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Literally, stop with the crawl back....garbage.

People have concerns.   Respect that. 

• Like 3

Yes, now if Celebrity would declare the summer Edge, Equinox, Summit sailings will be at least 95% vaccinated if they sail this summer from the US.    And maybe Solstice/Eclipse Alaska if the PVSA workaround passes.

• Like 1