The Daily for Thursday May 13, 2021

richwmn

My final pre-op sunrise is from a 2010 Blount inland cruise from Nashville to Chicago.  Floods cause great havoc that year and I don't know exactly where we were on May 13 but it was on the Cumberland, Tennessee, or Ohio river somewhere between Nashville and St. Louis.

IMG_1847.thumb.JPG.879e14802e99112385b45

Roy

• Like 34

Good Morning All,

Can’t believe it’s already Thursday. The week flew by. (I really was having fun with my potting bench build. It’s now ready for stain, which will start tomorrow if wind and weather cooperate for several days.) Today’s task is to prepare the side of the house where it will live.

The chicken wings sound good. Will file the recipe for future use, as tonight is fajitas. The ones that didn’t happen yesterday because I was engrossed in the Bench.

@StLouisCruisers Your frog story reminds me of a trip we took some 30 years ago. We were happily camping in Yosemite’s High Country and a tropical storm came in. We broke camp and headed home, through the deluge. Through Bishop and for miles after that, there were millions of frogs crossing 395. I had no idea California had that many. 

Roy, take care and know your family here is holding you in prayer.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Frogs are nice - I've heard of frog jumping contests, but never seen one.  A friend of ours makes hummus and loads it with garlic - soo good!  While I haven't actually seen a leprechaun, I'm pretty sure they hang around with the faeries in the garden at night.

I'm not sure I'd want to tell people the name of the cocktail I'm serving if it includes hemlock!  LOL  

Had a great day yesterday, playing with plants.  I potted a few more, then helped DH put together our new fountain.  We worked in and around a number of large spruce trees, getting needles down our necks and in our hair.  Later in the evening, DH yelled to me to see something - he had a tick crawling on his neck!!!  He's super anxious about ticks, so this was a nightmare come true for him.  We dispatched it quickly, then he went for a shower.  And so did I, but I barely slept all night, thinking about that darn thing, feeling imaginary crawlers on my back and head.  Argh!

I really like today's menu suggestion, and I do have some frozen chicken wings that I can thaw.  Both DH and I love cilantro (it doesn't taste like soap to us), and I think the lime juice will provide a nice tang to the dish.  I'll use the air fryer and see what happens.  Paired with fresh corn on the cob and a small coleslaw, that's what will be happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy; try to rest and relax as much as you can today, to reserve your strength for your recovery.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list tonight.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23

Good morning all!

Haven't seen any jumping frogs lately, no hummus on my menu, but would love to see a leprechaun!  Once on the way home from work we were following a rainbow - it kept moving with us.  At one point the road turned, and we actually drove through the end of the rainbow....but no pot of gold, unfortunately!

We've actually been to today's port!  We were there in 2010 on the Eurodam (Quebec to NY). It was a charming spot...there were dancers as we arrived, and we visiting the Chicoutimi Pulp Mill - very interesting to visit.  We also enjoyed some sculptures near the river. I would love to go back!

Have a great day....my DSIL is coming to visit, and we'll be going out to lunch (at the restaurant!!)

Laura

DSCN3879.JPG

DSCN3887.JPG

DSCN3922.JPG

• Like 32

52 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

On a very positive note, Roy, I guess you have heard that Gov Hogan is opening the Port of Baltimore this Saturday?  Hopefully this means that there will be a ship sailing out of there relatively soon.  Katherine

I have long thought (at least since New Years) that when the CDC allows ships to sail Governor Hogan will be in favor of it.  My take is he was initially very aggressive in getting a handle on the virus and then taking advantage of the progress to reopen things.  Still, I was quite surprised at the breadth of yesterday's announcement. 

In part, it reflects great progress in vaccination and awesome numbers.  For those who doubt the value of the vaccines I've watched as the average age of new cases got dramatically younger as us old codgers got protected and has since gotten older again as the eligibility for vaccines broadened.

I think most of the changes are positive although there are a few I have reservations about.  I think our numbers are the combined effect of many factors, each of which has some effect on the outcome, and believe we should aggressively go after the "low hanging fruit".  With lots of vaccinations yet to go I think crowded, indoor dining is an issue, and see little benefit in eliminating the need for barriers between booths (which are already in place), seems to me to be the epitome of ignoring that low hanging fruit.

I wonder if the Mayor has to sign off on opening the cruise terminal.

Roy

• Like 23

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.   The sun is shining and the birds are chipping.  The babies really get loud when mom arrives with food.  I haven’t been to today’s port of the day but would like to visit on a BHB.  Planned on having leftovers for today’s dinner.  Wanted to keep it easy tonight.  Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

Can’t believe it’s already Thursday. The week flew by. (I really was having fun with my potting bench build. It’s now ready for stain, which will start tomorrow if wind and weather cooperate for several days.) Today’s task is to prepare the side of the house where it will live.

The chicken wings sound good. Will file the recipe for future use, as tonight is fajitas. The ones that didn’t happen yesterday because I was engrossed in the Bench.

@StLouisCruisers Your frog story reminds me of a trip we took some 30 years ago. We were happily camping in Yosemite’s High Country and a tropical storm came in. We broke camp and headed home, through the deluge. Through Bishop and for miles after that, there were millions of frogs crossing 395. I had no idea California had that many. 

Roy, take care and know your family here is holding you in prayer.

Yes, I can just picture the frogs hopping across the road.  That's what we saw too.  You feel so badly running over some but they were everywhere and there was no place for us to go to avoid them.  

Did you say your bench was made of redwood?  It's a great wood for outdoor use.  When we lived in northern California DH bought redwood when we built the deck on our new house.  He and I built it together.  This was 41 years ago.  Prices were a lot less than now, I'm sure.  Four years later we were living in our new house in Columbus, Ohio.  When we left California we bought enough redwood to build the Ohio deck and our moving company just transported it to us along with our home furnishings, and our 2 cars.  Then DH and I used it to build the deck in Ohio.  Those are the only two decks we've ever built.  

• Like 18

Good morning Dailyites! A beautiful morning here in Georgetown.  The rain has decided to wait til the weekend and beyond, so will enjoy our sunny day today.

Good morning to my sweet sisters. (Isn't Denise due back from Maui??) Roy we are fervently in prayer for you. Hugs and prayers to the growing list of needs.

Jacqui you are a busy lady. Thank you for the Roy's list today. A Garden Club question: I have 2 big lily's that bloomed already. Should I only dead head the top, or cut the big stalk down as well?

I got great news last night. My sister is coming to visit next month! Last we saw one another was when Allen and I got kicked off of Oosterdam on March 14th last year in San Diego after week one of a 6 week cruise.

I don't have a clue what dinner will be tonight. Debs wing recipe today sounds good. Playing Mahjongg this evening so it won't be a heavily prepared affair.

Prayers and Cheers!

• Like 18

Good  morning  and  thanks  for  the  Daily.  The  recipe  looks  good  but  I  already  was  busy  preparing  a  requested  spinach and  tortellini soup. I  learned  quickly  to  make  my  own  hummus  when  DD became  a  vegetarian  as  a  teenager. Leprechauns were  a  "thing" growing  up  as  we  had a  very  Irish grandmother telling  us  tales  as  children.

@rafinmd, we  will  all  have  you  in  our  prayers  and await news  of  your  safe  recovery'

@NextOne, hope  the  radiation  treatments  are  going  well  and  can  help  DH

@kazu, thanks  for  the  two  lists  and  the  gardening  tips. I  will  cheer lead  from  the  sidelines!

The  picture  below  was  taken  on  the  way  to  Quebec  but  maybe  the  port  was  somewhere  nearby. We  were  to  stop  there  on  a  cruise  that  did  not go  this  year.  Let's  hope  for more  cruising  ahead  soon.

IMG_0865.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

I think the term "drifting" is used when the ship is at sea, not at an established anchorage, under power with no specific destination. The term has been used a couple of times over the past few months.

That’s pretty much what I figured; I had seen the term several times.  Very sad for a ship to be at sea with no destination 😢.

St Louis Sal

• Like 10

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days.

I haven't been to today's port.

Feeling not so well. Although I was ok yesterday, last evening the low grade fever and chills were back, along with headache, fatigue and muscle aches. I was awake most of the night. I considered going to the ER but haven't driven at night in a couple of years due to my vision. I called my PCP's office first thing this morning and left a message with her nurse. I sent an electronic message to my Rheumatologist, although her PA who sees me is out of the office this week. If I don't hear anything by afternoon. I'm not sure what to do. I worry about Covid or a variant, even though I'm fully vaccinated (they didn't study effectiveness in immunocompromised people) and have continued double masking the few times when I'm out.

@rafinmd Prayers for tomorrow's surgery.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all. Adding our prayers for @rafinmdand all needing them. I like to think we’re getting all the “messy” stuff taking care of now so that it will be smooth sailing when we can sail 🛳😃

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Interesting days.

Feeling not so well. Although I was ok yesterday, last evening the low grade fever and chills were back, along with headache, fatigue and muscle aches. I was awake most of the night. I considered going to the ER but haven't driven at night in a couple of years due to my vision. I called my PCP's office first thing this morning and left a message with her nurse. I sent an electronic message to my Rheumatologist, although her PA who sees me is out of the office this week. If I don't hear anything by afternoon. I'm not sure what to do. I worry about Covid or a variant, even though I'm fully vaccinated (they didn't study effectiveness in immunocompromised people) and have continued double masking the few times when I'm out.

Hope you hear back quickly, in the meantime, special prayer going up for your health. Uncertainty is the worst.

St Louis Sal 

• Like 12

37 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

A Garden Club question: I have 2 big lily's that bloomed already. Should I only dead head the top, or cut the big stalk down as well?

I cut the stalk back so that the bulbs can get energy from the foliage.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I finally left the hanging baskets and other annuals out overnight last night. It looks like they handled it OK. I think it is now safe to plant the large pots and window boxes. 

The bunnies very kindly deadheaded the tulips for me, unfortunately they were a bit too quick! I think next year I will cut the flowers before they open and let them bloom in the house. 

I discovered a Brunnera in the front garden. It looked like a weed at first, but since this is a new garden for us I left it alone. It now has lovely delicate light blue flowers -

20210511_105629.thumb.jpg.335396fee6ec1919cbe2236ec2e0faa6.jpg

One of the iris I moved from our condo is also blooming -

20210511_105854.thumb.jpg.51fc9d8f34ee375223bb74f282345f33.jpg

• Like 23

17 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Interesting days.

Oh dear - that doesn’t sound good.  It sounds like you should be tested for safety’s sake (as well as peace of mind).  Hope you are feeling better fast!

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Interesting days.

When it rains, it pours.  Hopefully they have an easy way to test in your area,  We took our granddaughter for a test recently and it was a super quick drive-through situation -- no deep swabs anymore.

Wishing you a good result for your CT scan and quick resolution of the current symptoms.  It's hard not to think "covid" these days, but there still are other things going around.  Best wishes to you. 

• Like 13

Good morning! In honor of today, I dug up my copy of Twain's "The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" to read .

So in addition to DH's first radiation session today, we have dear friends visiting from Florida. So what happens? The water main in the street below breaks, and we have no water!! Well, we actually have yucky dark brown liquid coming out of all the faucets. I cleaned the toilet bowls for this??? Jeez.....😐

• Like 14

👍Thank You, Rich, for the Daily and Jacqui @kazu for the Care List! ✍

I do like hummus... Oh, I ❤ all dips but have to watch calories...bummer!🙃

We love driving in Canadian provinces including Quebec.🇨🇦

Continued prayers for all in need!🙏

Katie

317166.gif

• Like 20

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!

@JazzyV Hope you are feeling better soon.

@rafinmd Roy, our prayers will also be with you tomorrow, and we look forward to you being back with us soon.

@kazu Thank you for temporarily shepherding our cares and  celebrations while Roy is slightly distracted 🙂

Our thanks to all for sharing memories of today's port. We haven't been, but would like to do another CA/NE cruise that gives us the chance to visit.

Our prayers for all with a need and cheers to all with a cause. Have a great Thursday!

Lori & George

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1