The Daily for Thursday May 13, 2021

richwmn

4 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Good morning! In honor of today, I dug up my copy of Twain's "The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" to read .

So in addition to DH's first radiation session today, we have dear friends visiting from Florida. So what happens? The water main in the street below breaks, and we have no water!! Well, we actually have yucky dark brown liquid coming out of all the faucets. I cleaned the toilet bowls for this??? Jeez.....😐

What a nightmare! Take a deep breath and know it will all come out right in the end. (Hear you on the toilet cleaning!). Praying for your husband’s treatment today.

St Louis Sal

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days.

I haven't been to today's port.

Feeling not so well. Although I was ok yesterday, last evening the low grade fever and chills were back, along with headache, fatigue and muscle aches. I was awake most of the night. I considered going to the ER but haven't driven at night in a couple of years due to my vision. I called my PCP's office first thing this morning and left a message with her nurse. I sent an electronic message to my Rheumatologist, although her PA who sees me is out of the office this week. If I don't hear anything by afternoon. I'm not sure what to do. I worry about Covid or a variant, even though I'm fully vaccinated (they didn't study effectiveness in immunocompromised people) and have continued double masking the few times when I'm out.

@rafinmd Prayers for tomorrow's surgery.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Thank you for letting us know what is happening.  I couldn't like your post because of the content.  Here's hoping you hear back soon from your PCP and that you are feeling better soon.

Lenda

• Like 12

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

That’s pretty much what I figured; I had seen the term several times.  Very sad for a ship to be at sea with no destination 😢.

St Louis Sal

Funny, I was just thinking how much I’d love to be drifting around off Tijuana on the Noordam about now.😄

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

I guess I will sign up for the cheerleading team for Garden Club. I used to like to get down and dirty in my garden, but the getting down is not working. I am having trouble even getting around to some of my plants (we have a sloped yard running down to a sinkhole [which drains to Cliff Cave] so getting around on my scooter is iffy. I just had my landscaper clean out my raised vegetable garden (sticking to farmer’s markets now) and he planted some Shasta daisies and purple coneflowers for me.

I have some shady spots and a lot of hostas. If I can get down the hill to take pictures, I will share my mouse ears hostas which are little and cute.

St Louis Sal

• Like 17

Good morning.  I'll pass on the hummus, though I will eat it occasionally.  I have traced some of my ancestors back to Ireland in the 1600's, so I'll definitely celebrate leprechauns.  🌈 

Like others, I thought of Twain's story of the jumping frogs.  After the story was published, Calaveras County, California, started the frog jumping at the county fair which is held the third weekend in May.  As far as I can tell, it will be held this weekend.

I'm not completely sure I entirely agree with the quote of the day.

We have not sailed to Saguenay, but in 2103 when the Veendam was in Quebec, we drove up there.  I thought I'd taken pictures of the town, but I can't find them.  It is a pretty town, but we did not stay there long.  Unlike Quebec, not many locals spoke English.

@kazu  Great job today on the lists.  Thanks for the reminder to deadhead the bulbs, and the other note to cut the stalks back.  I usually do that, but with our weird weather, I let it slide this year.  It will be done today or tomorrow.

@mamaofami  Glad your DGSs have or will have an appointment for their shots.

@kplady Thanks for the pictures.

@ger_77 Are those foam covered rollers?  😁

@NextOne Hoping DH's treatment today and the rest of the treatments go smoothly.  What a mess with a water main break and company coming.  Hopefully, they will get the main fixed soon and the dirt flushed out.

@dfish Debbie. you may be correct about the appliance jinx was a blessing so all who were affected could replace theirs before the prices went up and there was a shortage.

@rafinmd  Roy, all the best tomorrow for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.  We are all thinking about you and wish you the best.

Lenda  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! The sun is out, so no frogs jumping here! Do Leprechauns eat Hummus, do you think? Wings sound good, but we’re out at the moment. So tonight will be the Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni from the May 10 Daily.

i haven’t been to today’s port, but hope to in the future, especially in the fall when the trees display their autumn colours.

Today is a relaxing day: no appointments, no dental work, no difficult video calls scheduled. I had a Mother’s Day gift certificate for a local nursery that I spent yesterday. I new exactly what I was going to buy. Of course, I came away with something totally different. There were a range of  interesting petunia varieties I’ve never seen before, so now I need to plant a couple hanging baskets instead of the shade perennial from the original plan. 

Happy Thursday, and cheers to the crews of our BHB’s gradually getting ready to see us!

AAB93E36-5C88-4E47-A938-67FBF0DFF984.thumb.jpeg.a647f819e751b8384006ab1fdfea4d4d.jpeg

• Like 18

Good morning, Dailyites!  Lots going on, thanks to all the posters, and prayers for all who need them, especially Roy.  Our new cases of Covid are back down in the single digits on the island, but my cousin on the mainland emailed yesterday that her husband had lost his sense of smell, and later of taste, so got tested.  She has assigned him a private area in the basement, and she and the two daughters also got tested.  All negative so far, but I think he will get tested again, as he does have those symptoms.  They have all had one shot.  Hopefully, if he does have it, it will be really mild.  

I gardened a lot yesterday, cleaning out English ivy and exposing a rock wall, so today I am taking it easy.  It's like an archaeological dig out there, under all the ivy, but I fill bag after bag of debris.  If I ever get it all done, I have ferns to plant, lily of the valley and a rhododendron waiting to go in.  

@Seasick Sailor, if I may add my 2 cents worth - if those are real lilies you have, with the leaves going up the stems, I think I would just cut off the flower heads that have gone past.  Daylilies, I would take the whole flower stem out.  I bought a new lily this year, it is now about 2 inches tall, so you are lucky with yours!  I am hoping for a great flower from mine - but when, I don't know! 

• Like 18

Good morning, almost afternoon, from a bright and sunny SW Ontario. It promises to be a nice day with a high of 18ºC. Spring weather, finally!
Praying for those on the care list and those who are just not feeling well. Blessings to all. May today be a sunny one for you!

• Like 14

I heard from the PCP's nurse (doc is out today; what's with all my docs being away?). She agrees it sounds like something viral, so she ordered Covid and Influenza testing. But they have separate locations for testing asymptomatic and symptomatic people. The one for symptomatic people was already closed for the day, so I'll go tomorrow for testing. And of course the proviso of if you feel worse or short of breath, go to the ER.

My temp's about 99.6. It seems to go up as the day goes on. Not feeling too horrible right now except for the headache. And I'm dry, so I need to find something to drink.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

@rafinmd, you were at the top of my prayer list when I went to Mass this morning.  Will continue to pray for you and all others with health problems.  Here's hoping that all C-19 tests are negative.  Get to feeling better, everyone.

My thought this morning was that we are all in the same situation as the Noordam--just drifting along!  At least that is the feeling I have had for the last 15 months.  Am taking things in my own hands at this time--have 2 HAL cruises scheduled for 2022, and just booked a Viking River cruise, also for 2022.  Now if I can get my step-daughter in gear, I will probably go for Alaska also in 2022!

The closest I will get to the Garden Club (except for cheerleading) will be to get some plants today for my flower boxes on my front porch.  Hope I can manage as well this year as I did last year when my color scheme was yellow!

My girls who clean my house will be here shortly, so hope that the rest of the day is great for everyone.  

• Like 14

2 hours ago, NextOne said:

The water main in the street below breaks, and we have no water!! Well, we actually have yucky dark brown liquid coming out of all the faucets. I cleaned the toilet bowls for this??? Jeez.....😐

YIKES.  Bad enough when it is just you but with company coming?  YIKES!  I hope it can be repaired SUPER FAST.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

if those are real lilies you have, with the leaves going up the stems, I think I would just cut off the flower heads that have gone past.

Agree with Ann.  IF there are leaves on the stems, leave the stems.  My lilies and daylilies usually don’t have leaves on the stems so I didn’t think about that.  Mea culpa.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I heard from the PCP's nurse (doc is out today; what's with all my docs being away?). She agrees it sounds like something viral, so she ordered Covid and Influenza testing. But they have separate locations for testing asymptomatic and symptomatic people. The one for symptomatic people was already closed for the day, so I'll go tomorrow for testing. And of course the proviso of if you feel worse or short of breath, go to the ER.

My temp's about 99.6. It seems to go up as the day goes on. Not feeling too horrible right now except for the headache. And I'm dry, so I need to find something to drink.

Glad you are feeling a little better, and that you talked to the nurse. 🤞   Fingers crossed that the tests come back negative, but it's good to get them.  Hope the headache goes away.  If it helps, a nurse told me they don't consider it a fever if it's above 100-100.2 degrees.

Take care of yourself, rest, drink plenty of liquids, etc.

Lenda

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Agree with Ann.  IF there are leaves on the stems, leave the stems.  My lilies and daylilies usually don’t have leaves on the stems so I didn’t think about that.  Mea culpa.

Yeah...the Asiatic ones are different.  The only reason I know is because about 30 years ago a landscaper friend gave us a whole bunch of yellow ones.  I kinda stuck them in the ground willy-nilly and they have come back beautifully all this time.  We divided them once or twice for bigger flowers.  Our friend said to just let them die down naturally.  They look unsightly then, but they are hidden somewhat by hydrangeas so not too bad.  

I never in a million years would have thought to buy and plant them.  I thought they were "fussier."   

They're coming up now.  I'll take photos when they bloom.  They're really pretty.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Very interesting group of days.  Not sure about the quote.  The Meal looks really good.  Thank you Jacqui for doing a wonderful job for Roy, and the garden club tip.  Great addition to our wonderful thread.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Hemlock Cocktail:

Ingredients:
2 pieces orange peel
2 vanilla beans, split in half 
2 sugar cubes 
4 dashes bitters 
4 ounces bourbon 
2 orange slices, for garnish 
In two rocks glasses, muddle the orange peel, vanilla beans and sugar cubes with the bitters. Add in the bourbon and some ice. Garnish with an orange slice.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 7.18.11 AM.png

Oooh! Interesting, reminds me of a liqueur from Estonia, Vana  Tallinn, with rum, orange and vanilla.  

397C201B-7880-4469-8A01-3F61242751CD.jpeg

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Oooh! Interesting, reminds me of a liqueur from Estonia, Vana  Tallinn, with rum, orange and vanilla.  

I brought some Vana Tallinn home from a Baltic cruise in 2019 and I wish I could get more.

• Like 9

Good morning and a special thanks to Jacqui for the detailed lists!  
@NextOne oh NO, it doesn’t rain but it pours!   We had a Sewer backup once so I feel your pain!  I hope the rads for your DH goes well!  
@JazzyV hope you feel better soon! 
@ger_77 yikes a tick,  they make me nervous and Cause a few sleepless nights

@rafinmd continued prayers for strength and peace!  The waiting is often the hardest! 

the closest I’m coming to sailing, lol!  

94FF7D06-9C34-4D89-AFB5-7CFDE1FBD619.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Haha 1

Just now, kochleffel said:

I brought some Vana Tallinn home from a Baltic cruise in 2019 and I wish I could get more.

I know!  We had friends who went and I had bring me some more!  It’s really lovely! 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days.

I haven't been to today's port.

Feeling not so well. Although I was ok yesterday, last evening the low grade fever and chills were back, along with headache, fatigue and muscle aches. I was awake most of the night. I considered going to the ER but haven't driven at night in a couple of years due to my vision. I called my PCP's office first thing this morning and left a message with her nurse. I sent an electronic message to my Rheumatologist, although her PA who sees me is out of the office this week. If I don't hear anything by afternoon. I'm not sure what to do. I worry about Covid or a variant, even though I'm fully vaccinated (they didn't study effectiveness in immunocompromised people) and have continued double masking the few times when I'm out.

@rafinmd Prayers for tomorrow's surgery.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Oh, dear.  I am sorry that you are feeling so unwell.  I hope it is nothing serious.  Headache, fatigue and muscle aches can be a lot of things, including the stress you were under awaiting the CT scan.  It is good you called the Dr. and that they are sending you for tests.   Keep us posted and we'll keep you in our prayers.

pleaseeeee-get-well-soon-meme.jpg

Edited by dfish
  • Like 14

Roy, I hope all goes well tomorrow.  Your doctors are skilled at what they do, so put your trust in them and relax.   Hope your doctor doesn't have a sense of  humor!

6668b576253fa758140741b36c7fab43.jpeg.c11b9f40a93cd4ea10dcb67bc848540c.jpeg

But, do enjoy today as much as possible.

Congratulations-on-your-last-day-of-freedom-medical-resident-graduation-wishes-1024x733.thumb.jpg.609dccb3a866f63edf92112ac7029440.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1