The Daily for Thursday May 13, 2021

richwmn

When my dh retired I turned ALL the gardening over to him and became the cheerleader. This year’s crops are in. Garlic, beans, tomatoes, peppers, leeks, parsnips, rapini, endive and radicchio. Always fun when the produce starts coming in.

DD4E6262-F41C-4A4B-8E13-B9D27C11A771.jpeg

• Like 22

We were on Zuiderdam, too, visiting Saguenay on September,  22, 2018.  There were two other ships there that day, but we were at the dock and they had to use tenders.  The weather was stormy and we only got off the ship to see the big production of La Fabuleuse Cultural Show, giving the historical story of the region from 1605 to the present.  

• Like 13

Wah! 😪 

"While Holland America Line continues to gather more information to develop its plan to return to cruising, the company is canceling European cruises aboard Nieuw Statendam and Volendam through August, affecting eight departures." 

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for all the continuing prayers and good wishes.

I just got the call from the hospital.  They want me there at 6:30 tomorrow and the Fire Department Business Manager will pick me up at 5:45.  I was originally told 5:30 with the procedure starting at 9 and lasting about 3 hours.  I don't know if my later arrival will mean a later start but I hope to be finished in the noon to 1PM time frame.  I'm guessing that it will be some time after that before I am able to get into a room and communicate.

I will be taking both my cell phone and IPAD and there several people who I will update on my status depending on the circumstances.  I will ask anybody to call to be prepared to "reply all" to this email to update others but I may also try to send out some very cryptic messages on the IPAD.

It is possible that I could be discharged and sent home Saturday but also very possible that it could either be longer or that I could be sent to a skilled nursing or rehab facility for a stay.

It's getting really real now.

Kazu, if you get an email from somebody else in the mail group you may want to post the key points here.

Roy
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

We were on also on Zuiderdam, with the stop at Saguenay on September,  22, 2018... Stepped onto the dock and a gust immediately took my hat and blew it off the end of the dock.  I thought it was gone forever. As we walked through the welcome center/local craftsmen's shop, my hat was displayed in the visitor information area. Someone had retrieved it -returned to me good as new. The hat was from our Bike/Barge tour of the Netherlands on the Fleur and I was happy to have not lost it for good.

The La Fabuleuse Cultural Show was well done.  

An interesting feature:

"La Pyramide de Ha! Ha!" was "Conceived as a form of therapy to help residents recover from the traumatic events of the flood, it is covered in 3,000 yield signs, based on the similarity of pronunciation of the French words for "to yield" (céder [se.de]) and "to help each other" (s'aider [sɛ.de])."  Flood was 1996 - the same year we had closed schools in Salem due to floods and Ha Ha is the name of a nearby river. 

A memorable stop in a cruise welcoming town at the northern end of a beautiful fiord.

WP_20180921_004.jpg

• Like 17

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I heard from the PCP's nurse (doc is out today; what's with all my docs being away?). She agrees it sounds like something viral, so she ordered Covid and Influenza testing. But they have separate locations for testing asymptomatic and symptomatic people. The one for symptomatic people was already closed for the day, so I'll go tomorrow for testing. And of course the proviso of if you feel worse or short of breath, go to the ER.

My temp's about 99.6. It seems to go up as the day goes on. Not feeling too horrible right now except for the headache. And I'm dry, so I need to find something to drink.

Hope you get some answers soon and that you’re ok tomorrow.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I just got the call from the hospital.  They want me there at 6:30 tomorrow and the Fire Department Business Manager will pick me up at 5:45.  I was originally told 5:30 with the procedure starting at 9 and lasting about 3 hours.  I don't know if my later arrival will mean a later start but I hope to be finished in the noon to 1PM time frame.  I'm guessing that it will be some time after that before I am able to get into a room and communicate.

I will be taking both my cell phone and IPAD and there several people who I will update on my status depending on the circumstances.  I will ask anybody to call to be prepared to "reply all" to this email to update others but I may also try to send out some very cryptic messages on the IPAD.

It is possible that I could be discharged and sent home Saturday but also very possible that it could either be longer or that I could be sent to a skilled nursing or rehab facility for a stay.

Kazu, if you get an email from somebody else in the mail group you may want to post the key points here.

Roy

Roy, we’re all praying for you. I’m sorry that I don’t recall what kind of heart surgery you’re having.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, jl88 said:

"La Pyramide de Ha! Ha!" was "Conceived as a form of therapy to help residents recover from the traumatic events of the flood, it is covered in 3,000 yield signs, based on the similarity of pronunciation of the French words for "to yield" (céder [se.de]) and "to help each other" (s'aider [sɛ.de])."  Flood was 1996 - the same year we had closed schools in Salem due to floods and Ha Ha is the name of a nearby river. 

My first Blount Cruise was in 1996, Rhode Island to Quebec on the Erie Canal.  We made a side trip up to the Saguenay Fjord (but not to the town, there is a beautiful statue at Cap de  la Madelaine) a few weeks after the flood.  We had to dodge all kinds of debris, among other things I remember floating refrigerators.

Roy

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Roy, we’re all praying for you. I’m sorry that I don’t recall what kind of heart surgery you’re having.

I have a leaky Mitral Valve.  They are inserting a catheter in my groin, working it up to my heart, and attaching a clip to minimize the leakage.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Back home from getting my second shot.  The process was once again super easy.  The longest part was the post jab wait.  The hardest part will be pulling off the band aid. 😆. BTW for any MA residents, Gillette is taking walk in appointments, despite the news reports to the contrary.

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I have a leaky Mitral Valve.  They are inserting a catheter in my groin, working it up to my heart, and attaching a clip to minimize the leakage.

Roy

That’s what I thought. I have a friend having the valve replaced in a few weeks. Prayers all goes well.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Kazu, if you get an email from somebody else in the mail group you may want to post the key points

Will do, Roy.  I’ll keep everyone updated.  We are all worried and praying for you ♥️ 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Agree with Ann.  IF there are leaves on the stems, leave the stems.  My lilies and daylilies usually don’t have leaves on the stems so I didn’t think about that.  Mea culpa.

I did not have leaves going up the stem. They are not daylilies. I already chopped The stalks off. They were approx 3 feet tall. The lily lasted a long time.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning to my sweet sisters. (Isn't Denise due back from Maui??) Roy we are fervently in prayer for you.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

🌴🌴MAHALO TO MY 2nd HOME 

HERE IN MAUI!!✈️

🌺Dear Joy,  David  and I have been so busy while we were here and I do apologize for not chiming in. We did a lot of gardening and redid our walkway to the beach.

Ready to get home and will be back in December on Hal and will stop by for the day.

Were at the airport getting ready to fly✈️ home! Trying to catch up on all of THE DAILY! WOW SO MUCH ON EVERYONES PLATE! 😞Lots of prayers 🙏🙏 to all!

🌺Loved your prayer to our dear Roy!! You are the kindness soul with wings! 
❤️🩹Denise😊

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmd🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Dearest Roy,

Thinking of you always and especially now! On our way home waiting at the airport! You have a huge support group here and one really stands out! Dear Jacqui who is helping you with your wonderful 

CC daily!! God bless you my friend 

and take care! You will come through this and I will be seeing your journal and those sunsets and sunrises soon!

Sincerely

Denise😊

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, superoma said:

This year’s crops are in. Garlic, beans, tomatoes, peppers, leeks, parsnips, rapini, endive and radicchio.

I don't have everything in, because there has been too much freeze risk. In fact, the peas and lettuce that I sowed outdoors a month ago have only just germinated. I have more lettuce, plus broccoli, growing indoors for transplants, and beans to go in when the first lettuce is done.

My best crop this year may turn out to be black currants, which are flowering enormously. About half of my asparagus plants seem to have decided that they didn't like living here.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I just got the call from the hospital.  They want me there at 6:30 tomorrow and the Fire Department Business Manager will pick me up at 5:45.  I hope to be finished in the noon to 1PM time frame.  I'm guessing that it will be some time after that before I am able to get into a room and communicate.

Roy

Praying for you for a speedy and complete recovery and when any surgery is involved I pray for the surgeon to have a blest day.

Please avail yourself of any and all skilled nursing or rehab services that are offered to you and don't try to do to much to soon. Rest is a great healer.

Jane  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I don't have everything in, because there has been too much freeze risk. In fact, the peas and lettuce that I sowed outdoors a month ago have only just germinated. I have more lettuce, plus broccoli, growing indoors for transplants, and beans to go in when the first lettuce is done.

Don’t feel bad.  I have NOTHING in (other than perennials).

It’s way to cold, abnormally cold to put anything out so all the plants are staining in their little pots.  It’s either going to be a great year or a year where I cry.  I have never had to wait this long before.  

And now the deck is being in the midst of being stained 😌 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s way to cold, abnormally cold to put anything out so all the plants are staining in their little pots.  It’s either going to be a great year or a year where I cry.  I have never had to wait this long before.

Old-time gardeners here, and also where I grew up (similar climate), say not to plant anything tender, such as tomatoes and peppers, until Memorial Day, which is the last Monday in May. Even if there is no freeze, the nights are still too cold for them to be happy. (I am not quite at the stage of qualifying as an old-timer, but I follow this advice.)

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

My best crop this year may turn out to be black currants, which are flowering enormously. About half of my asparagus plants seem to have decided that they didn't like living here.

Oh, freeze risk here too, just covering every night ! He just couldn’t wait. I think we are past the last freeze now 

• Like 6