Ambassador Cruise Lines "Ambience" (Ex-CMV)

19 minutes ago, Britboys said:

To be honest, destinations such as Iceland and Greenland aren't really about the towns - more the scenery and wildlife that can be found - but you generally need to do excursions to make the most of it.

I bet there are still people complaining that there aren't enough shops or a MucDonalds.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I bet there are still people complaining that there aren't enough shops or a MucDonalds.

Yes, you're probably right Phil. Mind you, I did pass a branch of Iceland in Iceland...😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

Is Qassiarsuk 

I'm assuming that Signal Hill is the hill that's at the end of the wiggly road show on Google, opposite the airport (it isn't named.

I do not recognise the first place you mention, it is not a port on the cruise.  All ports seem to be visible on Google Earth.  The cruise, as mentioned by Britboys, is really about the surroundings.  Transport between places in Greenland is by boat, do you cannot just pick up a taxi or hire car, like other ports.  The local boats will be booked by the ship and other tourists as it is high season.  Greenland is not a cheap destination either.

We assumed signal hill is the one to the side if the small "town", though could be wrong.  Was a nice walk up there anyway, but I could not do it now.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

Qassiarsuk is the village on the opposite side of the fjord from Narsarsuaq- where you are taken to visit Eric the Red's ruins.

I'm not expecting to do anything except walk around these places - though I note that Nuuk does have busses.

My concern when aiming to do that, is that the rules about use of the tenders by people who aren't on a pre-booked tour will not restrict me from usefully doing that (either Covid restrictions or just generally).  I have heard stories in the past of cruise lines doing that (cynics might say, to force you to book a pre-paid tour). This is particularly important at Ilulissat where I'll probably want to be on shore for 5-6 hours to manage the walk to the Ice Fjord and have time to see the museum during whatever is an available time-slot - I'm watching the bookings to see what the demand is and it seems that the the 15:30-17:00 timeslot is generally free to walk-ins.  Should I choose that option, this means that I will need a tender back to the boat after 18:00 (I am not concerned that this may result in my missing the evening meal)

2 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

Qassiarsuk is the village on the opposite side of the fjord from Narsarsuaq- where you are taken to visit Eric the Red's ruins.

I'm not expecting to do anything except walk around these places - though I note that Nuuk does have busses.

My concern when aiming to do that, is that the rules about use of the tenders by people who aren't on a pre-booked tour will not restrict me from usefully doing that (either Covid restrictions or just generally).  I have heard stories in the past of cruise lines doing that (cynics might say, to force you to book a pre-paid tour). This is particularly important at Ilulissat where I'll probably want to be on shore for 5-6 hours to manage the walk to the Ice Fjord and have time to see the museum during whatever is an available time-slot - I'm watching the bookings to see what the demand is and it seems that the the 15:30-17:00 timeslot is generally free to walk-ins.  Should I choose that option, this means that I will need a tender back to the boat after 18:00 (I am not concerned that this may result in my missing the evening meal)

The Eric the Red relics are just that, an archaeological site and will only be accessible on specific tenders which are for people on the tour.  Narsarsuaq is small, but is a town/village inhabited now and has a small museum, perhaps cafe and is where the tenders will be run to for other passengers.  It is not something we have an interest in.  We enjoyed a kaffemik in Qaqortoq last time, as well as the boat around icebergs from Narsarsuaq, but each will have their own choices.

Yes, I have heard early tenders are restricted to people on tour as is always the case with cruises and tbh, I would expect a lot of tours to be booked, particularly in Ilulissat as that is the main tourist base.  Only the ship will know what they are doing and also if tenders will run overnight in Ilulissat.  I suggest you phone Ambassador.  

Forums on here and trip advisor can also be used, for ports of call.

We are off on another cruise later today.

Edited by tring