Competition for Fred?

Britboys

I see that a new cruiseline is just starting up in the UK from the ashes of CMV. They aim to attract an adult customer and provide a traditional cruise experience on relatively small ships (similar size to Fred's two new ones). Sailing from next April, could well be competition....

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

I see that a new cruiseline is just starting up in the UK from the ashes of CMV. They aim to attract an adult customer and provide a traditional cruise experience on relatively small ships (similar size to Fred's two new ones). Sailing from next April, could well be competition....

Yes saw that this morning as mentioned on a fb group, which is likely where you picked it up.  I have mixed feelings - I think you know what they are from my previous comments.  I would prefer to do business with someone else and if all departures are from Tilbury would not be of interest to us anyway.  Southampton is not easy to get to, but a lot better to us than heading for (basically) London on really busy roads.  Will be fairly convenient for you though if my memory is correct.

Just hanging onto your words of "the ashes".  Not exactly the same meaning, but somehow I am thinking the whole cruise industry has been reduced to a form of ashes at present.  I was starting to feel fairly optimistic re a return to holidays and cruises, but the last few days I have started to feel getting international cruises started again could be a very long uphill climb.  Certainly a smart move by the CMV folk to drop out and then come in next spring just as profits could start to be expected, and having dispensed of most debts.

Regards Fred, will be interesting to see how things pan out.  We need to remember that the board of Bonheur (particularly big sister) were never reported as supportive of the cruise line.  "Does not make enough money", was the term I understood as her views and that came from one of Fred's captains.  I can see with various extra costs and FCC's he would want to push prices up as far as possible, but "pushing it a bit too much" comes to mind at present.  I feel that if Fred cannot return to a fair profit, the company will perhaps not continue, though I think I have heard it said that Fred senior had quite a soft spot for the cruise line (not sure if that was true) - still a business though.  I do think people will pay more for smaller ships, but what he has are not that new and will be getting older.  The drinks included deal is pretty good though if get an offer, so we will still use him if there is a good, unusual itinerary.  On many cruises we would not mind an inside cabin, if the ship has decent public areas, but we would be looking elsewhere if we felt a balcony was worthwhile.  The regional departures is a big pull for us and many others, more so as we get older.

There I go, rambling again!  Must be time to cook dinner, an easy one tonight - put a quiche in the oven.  Hope all is well with you,

Barbara 

Edited by tring

17 hours ago, tring said:

Yes saw that this morning as mentioned on a fb group, which is likely where you picked it up.  I have mixed feelings - I think you know what they are from my previous comments.  I would prefer to do business with someone else and if all departures are from Tilbury would not be of interest to us anyway.  Southampton is not easy to get to, but a lot better to us than heading for (basically) London on really busy roads.  Will be fairly convenient for you though if my memory is correct.

Just hanging onto your words of "the ashes".  Not exactly the same meaning, but somehow I am thinking the whole cruise industry has been reduced to a form of ashes at present.  I was starting to feel fairly optimistic re a return to holidays and cruises, but the last few days I have started to feel getting international cruises started again could be a very long uphill climb.  Certainly a smart move by the CMV folk to drop out and then come in next spring just as profits could start to be expected, and having dispensed of most debts.

Regards Fred, will be interesting to see how things pan out.  We need to remember that the board of Bonheur (particularly big sister) were never reported as supportive of the cruise line.  "Does not make enough money", was the term I understood as her views and that came from one of Fred's captains.  I can see with various extra costs and FCC's he would want to push prices up as far as possible, but "pushing it a bit too much" comes to mind at present.  I feel that if Fred cannot return to a fair profit, the company will perhaps not continue, though I think I have heard it said that Fred senior had quite a soft spot for the cruise line (not sure if that was true) - still a business though.  I do think people will pay more for smaller ships, but what he has are not that new and will be getting older.  The drinks included deal is pretty good though if get an offer, so we will still use him if there is a good, unusual itinerary.  On many cruises we would not mind an inside cabin, if the ship has decent public areas, but we would be looking elsewhere if we felt a balcony was worthwhile.  The regional departures is a big pull for us and many others, more so as we get older.

There I go, rambling again!  Must be time to cook dinner, an easy one tonight - put a quiche in the oven.  Hope all is well with you,

Barbara 

But interesting ramblings though Barbara! Yes, I did get the info from a fb page - that of the OLS. You recall rightly, Tilbury is convenient for me being no more than an hour away, M25 traffic permitting!

I am hoping that Fred's future is fairly secure. Whilst they got a great deal on the two new ships from Carnival/HAL, they seem to be spending a reasonable amount on their refurb, so hopefully a sign that they intend to remain in the sector for the foreseeable future.

It is very difficult to predict the short-term future of the industry. Hopefully, Europe will recover from the pandemic crisis over the next few months, so all being well, could be back to normal by the end of the year - but nothing is predictable at the moment.

• Like 1