More good news!

angela miller

19 minutes ago, angela miller said:

The CDC today announced that  if you have been vaccinated you no longer need to wear a mask indoors, there were a few exceptions. Great news for cruises!

Fully vaccinated, to be precise — both Pfizer and Moderna doses, or the single J&J jab.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, angela miller said:

The CDC today announced that  if you have been vaccinated you no longer need to wear a mask indoors, there were a few exceptions. Great news for cruises!

The United States CDC announcement is only relevant to ships operating in US Territorial Waters, of which there are none at present. The Viking Ships must follow the protocols of their Flag State (Norway) and the CDC, or equivalent organisation of the country that the ship is based.

When cruise lines resume operations in US Waters, the US CDC requirements are a minimum requirement and nothing prevents a cruise line from setting a higher standard.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, angela miller said:

Glory hallelujah!

image.jpeg.457d4fc6a74c0a397d870127341789e9.jpeg

Edited by Twitchly

14 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

I think they are still requiring masks on buses, subways, and airplanes, but I doubt that would translate over to cruise ships.

Given CDC’s current stance vis à vis cruise ships compared to airplanes,  they will likely require a mask, a face shield and a gas mask 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

What worries me is....unvaccinated and partially vaccinated will jump on the bandwagon. Who's to know, unless we return to some sort of segregation!  Wow....would that ever ruffle feathers. I can see it now - an area in a restaurant designated for "fully vaccinated", another for "partially vaccinated" (mask required) and one for "unvaccinated" (mask definitely required...or better yet...a sign..."eat outside" LOL). But, again, people will jump lines (sorta like those trying to slip into priorty boarding even if they don't qualify?!) Same people who might carry a fake vaccination card or, if running a fever, dose themselves with ibuprofen before having their temp taken at embarkation. 

I'll never forget the one time we were on a road trip down in one of the southern states and asked for the "non smoking" section in a restaurant. This was a LONG time ago before a general 'non-smoking' policy came along. I think they sort of frowned upon our request since we wound up at this table all the way back in a dingy area near the furnace - barely in the same room as everyone else!!!  It was, after all, tobacco country.  

This non-masking move is all a grand experiment in my opinion, unless the number of vaccinated improves significantly. Why would those who have not wanted to get the vaccine suddenly change their minds now that things are being so relaxed. If I were one of them, I'd probably think....I probably don't need it since things must be so much better. Same for partially vaccinated - why bother getting a 2nd shot?  Time will tell. Hoping for the best. I will probably now start doing some take-out, but not ready to sit in a restaurant yet - especially so with the mandates being lifted. I want to see what happens with vaccination percentages. Watch the CDC change their mind next week anyway. All we need is some sort of mini-surge over the summer - that'll do it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

This non-masking move is all a grand experiment in my opinion, unless the number of vaccinated improves significantly. Why would those who have not wanted to get the vaccine suddenly change their minds now that things are being so relaxed. If I were one of them, I'd probably think....I probably don't need it since things must be so much better. Same for partially vaccinated - why bother getting a 2nd shot?  Time will tell. Hoping for the best. I will probably now start doing some take-out, but not ready to sit in a restaurant yet - especially so with the mandates being lifted. I want to see what happens with vaccination percentages. Watch the CDC change their mind next week anyway. All we need is some sort of mini-surge over the summer - that'll do it. 

I take the new ruling to mean they’ve got enough data now to know that the vaccine is fully protective, so if you’re vaccinated it doesn’t matter if you come into contact with people who have Covid. You’re not likely to get sick.

They’ve been sending out mixed messages up to now (“stay masked, stay distanced”), because there hasn’t been enough data, and I think that’s been confusing some people into thinking that the vaccine isn’t very effective. Now that we know it is, maybe more people will be motivated to get it.

That’s my take on it, anyway.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

That’s my take on it, anyway.

There surely has been alot of skepticism (and probably still is) regarding the vaccine effectiveness. I've always believed the research indicating the stated percentages; however, this is all still so new. A big random element is how long the vaccine will last, and then we'll need another big operation to give everyone boosters. Some will get them, some won't. What's tough for the cruise industry, of course, is the varying levels of vaccination globally speaking and whatever each country's rules might be. Very complex issue. 

I personally wouldn't care to be in Mr. Hagen's seat to have to make the decisions on all this. He seems like a really nice guy - got to meet him as one of the 'refugees' of the Viking Sky incident. He came and spoke at all the hotels where the evacuues were being accommodated. 

As I've said on several threads, I'm happy to wait till next March for my next cruise (well...not happy...but...feel that by then some of the dust will settle and things should be pretty well in hand). If, by then, hardly any sort of covid protocol to follow and free to go ashore at will....all the better. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Thanks 1