CDC says no more masks for the fully vaccinated---Will Seabourn drop the mask mandate onboard?

SLSD

Have you heard the great news in the United States?  The CDC has just announced that masks are no longer necessary indoors for the fully vaccinated.  Do you think Seabourn will drop the mask mandate for guests onboard the ships in public areas?  I hope so!

We have been vigilant mask wearers--I just think wearing one on vacation would be a drag.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Have you heard the great news in the United States?  The CDC has just announced that masks are no longer necessary indoors for the fully vaccinated.  Do you think Seabourn will drop the mask mandate for guests onboard the ships in public areas?  I hope so!

We have been vigilant mask wearers--I just think wearing one on vacation would be a drag.  

If I had to venture a guess, masks for passengers will not be required on Seabourn cruises in July.  Our cruise is still two months away and the situation continues to improve in the US.  It appears the vaccines are providing enough protection that we no longer have to fear Covid from other people.  I hope the 100% vaccinated remains a requirement and therefore we don't have to guess whether someone is vaccinated or not.  I would also guess the requirement to provide a negative Covid test prior to re-entry into the US will be dropped for vaccinated people prior to July.  

40 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Unfortunately they are still required in crowded indoor spaces, including flights.   It does say we can be outside without masks and even dine outside.

40 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Unfortunately they are still required in crowded indoor spaces, including flights.   It does say we can be outside without masks and even dine outside.

The change was announced this afternoon.  In the United States, the CDC is saying that those who are fully vaccinated can go without masks indoors.  I don't know what will be required on flights.  

I am watching the news right now and just heard Howard Dean (an MD and US politician) say that he would still wear a mask on the NYC subway--but not in other places.  He said that on the subway, he would have no idea who was vaccinated and who was not.  

Edited by SLSD

5 minutes ago, Neverlookback said:

I hope the 100% vaccinated remains a requirement and therefore we don't have to guess whether someone is vaccinated or not.  I would also guess the requirement to provide a negative Covid test prior to re-entry into the US will be dropped for vaccinated people prior to July.  

I hope the same.  For me, it's a no brainer to require full vaccination in order to cruise on a ship.  

7 minutes ago, SLSD said:

The change was announced this afternoon.  In the United States, the CDC is saying that those who are fully vaccinated can go without masks indoors.  I don't know what will be required on flights.  

I am watching the news right now and just heard Howard Dean (an MD and US politician) say that he would still wear a mask on the NYC subway--but not in other places.  He said that on the subway, he would have no idea who was vaccinated and who was not.  

On a NYC subway a gun for protection might be best!!

• Thanks 1

We have two Seabourn cruises booked for July and October.  Neither involve any US ports and are not subject to any of the dictates from the CDC (they seem to change their rules every day).  What Seabourn does on their ships will be up to Seabourn and to some degree, the ports that they visit.  We will have to wait and see, but I trust this cruise line to find the right compromise.   Consider that everyone aboard will be fully vaccinated so there is very little COVID risk.

Hank

59 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have two Seabourn cruises booked for July and October.  Neither involve any US ports and are not subject to any of the dictates from the CDC (they seem to change their rules every day).  What Seabourn does on their ships will be up to Seabourn and to some degree, the ports that they visit.  We will have to wait and see, but I trust this cruise line to find the right compromise.   Consider that everyone aboard will be fully vaccinated so there is very little COVID risk.

Hank

I would agree Seabourn would not be subject to the CDC, but the US traveler is most likely looking to the CDC to give them confidence whether it's safe to travel or not.  Hopefully covid vaccinations have us permanently going back to an open world, but until people feel safe they will be looking for further confirmations from governments and real life experiences to see that travel is safe enough for them.  I would guess that TA's are going to have their phones busy tomorrow!

Just now, Neverlookback said:

I would agree Seabourn would not be subject to the CDC, but the US traveler is most likely looking to the CDC to give them confidence whether it's safe to travel or not.  Hopefully covid vaccinations have us permanently going back to an open world, but until people feel safe they will be looking for further confirmations from governments and real life experiences to see that travel is safe enough for them.  I would guess that TA's are going to have their phones busy tomorrow!

While I certainly do not want to get into some kind of political argument (especially on the peaceful and wonderful Seabourn blog) I would suggest that there are quite a few US travelers (including me) who get absolutely no confidence from the CDC who has completely botched just about everything having to with COVID.  I have talked about this elsewhere on CC and will not start an argument on Seabourn thread.  But as many folks remain locked in their homes and in constant fear of COVID, there are plenty of others (including DW and me) who have never stopped traveling....although we have certainly been cautious and have practiced common sense COVID mitigation.  

I agree that this latest CDC statement will send some folks to their phones (although many of us know that it makes sense to shop around online).  But you might want to consider that nothing has really changed in the past few days or weeks other then the CDC who, I believe, is finally caving to pressure from Congress and the public.  Many of the CDC policies (including the near notorious Conditional Sail Order" has been based on more speculation then real science.  It was only when the CDC was called out by some in Congress and the public (such as Frank del Rio of Norwegian Holdings) that they have finally started to bring their policies into better compliance with their own real data.  Personally, I give a lot more credit to the Greek Government (who seems to be following the science) then the CDC.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

While I certainly do not want to get into some kind of political argument (especially on the peaceful and wonderful Seabourn blog) I would suggest that there are quite a few US travelers (including me) who get absolutely no confidence from the CDC who has completely botched just about everything having to with COVID.  I have talked about this elsewhere on CC and will not start an argument on Seabourn thread.  But as many folks remain locked in their homes and in constant fear of COVID, there are plenty of others (including DW and me) who have never stopped traveling....although we have certainly been cautious and have practiced common sense COVID mitigation.  

I agree that this latest CDC statement will send some folks to their phones (although many of us know that it makes sense to shop around online).  But you might want to consider that nothing has really changed in the past few days or weeks other then the CDC who, I believe, is finally caving to pressure from Congress and the public.  Many of the CDC policies (including the near notorious Conditional Sail Order" has been based on more speculation then real science.  It was only when the CDC was called out by some in Congress and the public (such as Frank del Rio of Norwegian Holdings) that they have finally started to bring their policies into better compliance with their own real data.  Personally, I give a lot more credit to the Greek Government (who seems to be following the science) then the CDC.

Hank

I would agree to avoid the politics as part of this discussion.  I was more considering Seabourn needing people to feel comfortable with coming back sooner than later.  Everyone will be searching for information to make a good decision for themselves.  I do not have fear that I will become sick, but can understand that many travelers will still have visions of the tragic cruise experiences that were on the TV when the pandemic first started.  Hopefully with some baby step positive experiences shared online and people traveling successfully will more quickly bring back the traveling public.  I am OK with the limited itinerary for this first cruise, but it will be interesting if all goes well and the world continues to improve where the next itineraries will open up.  We are hopeful to go on a second cruise in November, but don't really care for Caribbean. 

30 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank it would be nice if you would please stop your multiple very long rants against the CDC. I think I best put you on ignore so I no longer have to see them. These rants never change and they are VERY long.

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

Hank it would be nice if you would please stop your multiple very long rants against the CDC. I think I best put you on ignore so I no longer have to see them. These rants never change and they are VERY long.

Cool,  Enjoy your locked down country.

Hank

• Haha 1

We’re not scheduled to be onboard the Odyssey until next March and obviously things could be much different then, but I really hope they keep the vaccine requirement for at least a year or two until the pandemic and the for sure flare ups have died down.

I’m on the same page with most of us here, that if everyone is fully vaccinated then we need to think long and hard about where masks might still make sense and keep those places to a minimum. I know you all have more experience than I with regard to Seabourn and of you trust they will find the right balance then so do I (this will be our first actual cruise with Seabourn after a March 2020 Caribbean and July 2021 Alaska cancellation).

I am not so much worried about the virus itself as I am fully vaccinated, but what I am worried about is allowing too many unvaccinated people on board and then the ship has a breakout and we’re quarantined indefinitely somewhere. A cruise with that sort of risk is not worth it to me considering my employer has made it clear we are to take these risks into account when making our travel plans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Navis said:

"... I am not so much worried about the virus itself as I am fully vaccinated, but what I am worried about is allowing too many unvaccinated people on board and then the ship has a breakout and we’re quarantined indefinitely somewhere ..."

EXACTLY ... unless cruise lines require passengers and crew to be 100% vaccinated. A single case of COVID-19 would probably end the cruise and result in quarantines - vaccinated or not.

• Like 2

Hlitner, I too am tired of your agenda. Enough.

For me your posts will be the ones "locked down". 

I don't need to see your brand of angst displayed on cruise critic.

Happy and healthy sailing!

6 hours ago, bigmjh said:

EXACTLY ... unless cruise lines require passengers and crew to be 100% vaccinated. A single case of COVID-19 would probably end the cruise and result in quarantines - vaccinated or not.

With the situation currently improving it should give the early adopters more confidence to consider cruising again.  I 100% agree with everyone needing to be vaccinated, but also from a marketing point of view I believe all cruise lines will benefit from being able to state no unvaccinated people will be onboard.  It will be interesting in the future, at some point covid will be considered a manageable issue and then how will cruise lines adjust their rules with vaccination requirements.

16 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

As long as we are at it--I have to say that NYC is a fairly safe large city.  While I would not want to be on the NYC subway late at night alone, I have ridden it many times while visiting our family in the city. I take Howard Dean's comment to mean that crowded transportation venues might be a good place to still wear a mask.  I read this morning that masks will still be required on airlines and such. 

About the CDC--I think the agency would benefit if political appointees were no longer part of their ranks.  I hope we can see that in the future.  It would foster continuity and a measure of respect for their expertise.  And yes, I think their pronouncement of yesterday may be influential in the cruise world. 

Like others here, I hope that being fully vaccinated will be a continuing requirement for cruising--especially on Seabourn as we have high hope of cruising again soon. 

Edited by SLSD

17 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I know you are joking, but the NY subways have actually become quite safe, as has the rest of the city.  Way better than the crack days of the late 80s and early 90s.  The subways are smelly and noisy and sometimes quite confusing, but you don't need a gun.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Cool,  Enjoy your locked down country.

Hank

A beautiful fascinating country full of friendly people, and where few people have died of Covid.

• Like 1

Back to SLSD's original post:  I am very happy that the situation in the US seems to be heading in the right direction, finally.  it will take a while for me to adjust to a no-mask life, but it will be a welcome adjustment.  Just yesterday we returned from a family visit and spent hours in airports and on a plane with our uncomfortable masks.  I see the changing and more relaxed guidelines as one-step-at-a-time and anticipate more relaxed rules in the near future, especially as they apply to travel.  And I expect (and hope for) more relaxed and reasonable rules as they apply to cruise ships docking in the US.  Still like others, I think a 100% vaccination requirement to be the way to go for cruise ships as a Covid breakout among the unvaccinated would spoil the party.

I think the toughest thing about the vaccination requirement is going to be confirming that people actually ARE vaccinated.  We have seen pressure away from having a formal vaccine passport and right now the only proof anyone has is the little white card.

A travel agent who I tangentially know today was posting on his social media with links to Ebay and Etsy sellers with blank vaccine cards.  He suggested that those wanting to cruise but not be vaccinated merely purchase one of these and look to the completed vaccine cards others have posted on Facebook or Instagram to figure out how to fill theirs in so they could resume their normal life as if vaccinated.  He had quite a few responses from anti-vax individuals who were jumping onboard to do exactly what he suggested.

That is the kind of nonsense that is going to quickly ruin it for the rest of us.  If the only thing someone needs to do is lie about their vaccine status to jump right back into the fray, then how the heck do we ever return to normal?  This is where having some kind of validated public record (like a vaccine passport) makes sense - we can confirm that jenidallas did in fact get the Moderna shots 1 & 2 at this location on these dates from these serial number vials administered by this provider.  Of course this is all on my vaccine card, but if anyone can print and forge one, how do we move ahead safely?

• Like 3

In countries whose health services are centrally administered this will not be an issue. Maybe the US will catch up.

How so? Starting this Monday my UK National Health Service app will show on a discrete screen the details of my 2 vaccinations. Which makes life easier for Seabourn when we checkin for the July cruises. This, along with coordination with Greece and the EU, make us good to go for Ovation.

2 hours ago, tv24 said:

I know you are joking, but the NY subways have actually become quite safe, as has the rest of the city.  Way better than the crack days of the late 80s and early 90s.  The subways are smelly and noisy and sometimes quite confusing, but you don't need a gun.

If ya thinks NYC subways are safe, please go to the link below-

NYC manhunt: Police search for suspects who attacked at least 4 people in 12-minute crime spree | Fox News

2 hours ago, jenidallas said:

That is the kind of nonsense that is going to quickly ruin it for the rest of us.  If the only thing someone needs to do is lie about their vaccine status to jump right back into the fray, then how the heck do we ever return to normal?  This is where having some kind of validated public record (like a vaccine passport) makes sense - we can confirm that jenidallas did in fact get the Moderna shots 1 & 2 at this location on these dates from these serial number vials administered by this provider.  Of course this is all on my vaccine card, but if anyone can print and forge one, how do we move ahead safely?

I totally agree with you jenidallas.  I would support the idea of vaccine passport.  And I think the idea that some are falsifying a vaccine record is alarming.  Let's hope no Seabourn cruisers stoop to that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markham said:

In countries whose health services are centrally administered this will not be an issue. Maybe the US will catch up.

How so? Starting this Monday my UK National Health Service app will show on a discrete screen the details of my 2 vaccinations. Which makes life easier for Seabourn when we checkin for the July cruises. This, along with coordination with Greece and the EU, make us good to go for Ovation.

About 50% of Americans would not stand for a record of their vaccine (or not vaccine) available on a screen.  Of course they are the same 50% who are opposed to health services being centrally administered.  I'm not trying to make a political argument here---just stating a fact.  The fact makes me sad.  I will say that.  

• Like 2