What is your favorite sandwich on or off of a cruise ship

Seamus6

As I mentioned in my original post, one of my favorites is a Croque Monsieur.ย  Related to the grilled cheese,ย  You toast two pieces of bread and top one with a thin layer of mustard (optional), ham, Gruyere and a Mornay sauce (Bechemel sauce with cheese) put the toast top on and more sauce and more cheese then broil it.ย  If you top it with a fried egg, it becomes a Croque Madame!ย  I have only seen them at two restaurants and never on a cruise but I have made them at home.ย  very tasty.

ย 

I would love to see them on a cruise ship some time, maybe made to order at the buffet.

On 5/22/2021 at 6:50 AM, seamus69 said:

You toast two pieces of bread and top one with a thin layer of mustard (optional), ham, Gruyere and a Mornay sauce (Bechemel sauce with cheese) put the toast top on and more sauce and more cheese then broil it.ย ย 

ย 

Sounds much like a Monte Cristo.ย  Type of cheese and sauce may be different and it is grilled, not toasted.ย  Served with a jam whose flavor I don't recall.ย  Really do like that, but difficult to find afloat or ashore.ย ย 

ย 

A simple Grilled Cheese Sandwich with whatever cheese and bread:ย  always good.

ย 

Egg Salad?ย  No, not a sandwich that I would select.ย  Really am not a fan of hard boiled eggs and it took my Mother a very long time to convince me that I would like her pickled eggs in her Pickled Eggs and Beets.ย  They remain on my "edible" list, but not on my "preferred" list.ย ย 

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

ย 

Sounds much like a Monte Cristo.ย  Type of cheese and sauce may be different and it is grilled, not toasted.ย  Served with a jam whose flavor I don't recall.ย  Really do like that, but difficult to find afloat or ashore.ย ย 

ย 

ย 

Egg Salad?ย  No, not a sandwich that I would select.ย  Really am not a fan of hard boiled eggs and it took my Mother a very long time to convince me that I would like her pickled eggs in her Pickled Eggs and Beets.ย  They remain on my "edible" list, but not on my "preferred" list.ย ย 

LOL...egg salad is only good if it is made fresh and consumed right away.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

ย 

One of my favorite sandwiches are Grilled Cheese with various cheeses. American is traditional but a Vermont Cheddar is hardy. Fontina and Asiago not good. Heavity one is Swiss Cheese. Elegant would be Alpine Lace...

ย 

A good Egg Salad with crispy iceberg lettuce on White Toast is great!

ย 

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

One of my favorite sandwiches are Grilled Cheese with various cheeses. American is traditional but a Vermont Cheddar is hardy. Fontina and Asiago not good. Heavity one is Swiss Cheese. Elegant would be Alpine Lace...

ย 

A good Egg Salad with crispy iceberg lettuce on White Toast is great!

ย 

Try making a grilled cheese with honey wheat bread and baby Swiss cheese!

• Like 1

I can't remember eating a sandwich on a cruise.ย  Here at home? I love a good BLT...with plenty of the Bacon๐Ÿ™‚

And to be honest, that egg salad on a toasted roll with bacon sounds really good to me too.

ย 

Grilled cheese for sure!ย 

ย 

I thought a Monte Cristo had jam in between the layers.......(the ones I have eaten anyway).

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I can't remember eating a sandwich on a cruise.ย  Here at home? I love a good BLT...with plenty of the Bacon๐Ÿ™‚

And to be honest, that egg salad on a toasted roll with bacon sounds really good to me too.

ย 

Grilled cheese for sure!ย 

ย 

I thought a Monte Cristo had jam in between the layers.......(the ones I have eaten anyway).

BLT is truly All American......

ย 

The right bacon properly smoked, crispy fresh from the field Iceberg, Beefsteak Tomato,Hellman'sย Mayo and good White Bread. I do like a fresh Kaiserย Roll slightly toasted.

ย 

I think I will make one tomorrow morn...

ย 

For a foodie, I can be pretty picky.ย  Like I prefer a BLO to a BLT; Onion instead of tomato...and not I never actually call it that.

ย 

An egg salad sandwich is great to use up extra hard boiled eggs that have been sitting around a while after Easter.ย  I agree they are edible but not high on the list.

ย 

I love Monte Christos but don't want them to be overly sweet so I skip the jam and powdered sugar.ย  They are easier to find on menus than a Croque Monsieur which can quite elusive.

ย 

I like grilled cheese with whatever cheese is laying around (but Swiss is a favorite).ย  I often use mayonnaise instead of butter on the outside of the sandwich to grill it.ย  Most people can't tell the difference in taste, it certainly does not taste like mayo to me but has a very slight tang and is much much easier to spread on the bread to grill it.ย  I have never found a restaurant that has a great grilled cheese...edible, maybe but not great.ย  Half of them can mange to burn the bread without melting the cheese!ย  They can't even be trying...

ย 

11 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

ย 

The right bacon properly smoked, crispy fresh from the field Iceberg, Beefsteak Tomato,Hellman'sย Mayo and good White Bread. I do like a fresh Kaiserย Roll slightly toasted.

ย 

ย 

I don't eat white bread........haven't in many years. But we agree on the rest of it.

10 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

For a foodie, I can be pretty picky.ย  Like I prefer a BLO to a BLT; Onion instead of tomato...and not I never actually call it that.

ย 

An egg salad sandwich is great to use up extra hard boiled eggs that have been sitting around a while after Easter.ย  I agree they are edible but not high on the list.

ย 

I love Monte Christos but don't want them to be overly sweet so I skip the jam and powdered sugar.ย  They are easier to find on menus than a Croque Monsieur which can quite elusive.

ย 

I like grilled cheese with whatever cheese is laying around (but Swiss is a favorite).ย  I often use mayonnaise instead of butter on the outside of the sandwich to grill it.ย  Most people can't tell the difference in taste, it certainly does not taste like mayo to me but has a very slight tang and is much much easier to spread on the bread to grill it.ย  I have never found a restaurant that has a great grilled cheese...edible, maybe but not great.ย  Half of them can mange to burn the bread without melting the cheese!ย  They can't even be trying...

ย 

We have a restaurant here called "THE HAPPY GRILLED CHEESE"........they definitely know how to make a grilled cheese๐Ÿ™‚ย Here is a link to the website......check out the menu.

https://thehappygrilledchees.wixsite.com/grilledcheese

ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seamus69 said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

I never went to it but there is a restaurant in NYC - The Village called Grilled Cheese if I am right. They make numerous versions of grilled cheese sandwiches with other things added into them. Sounds interesting but again never tried it.

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

It was mentioned on a HAL thread about lobster rolls.ย 

I think that has to be my favourite sandwich when I'm down east.

You should have great lobsters in Canada.

ย 

We had great lobster in Halifax at Salty's. Next cruise I will be heading back there.

ย 

BTW..... I made a Lobster Roll last night the traditional way and it was good.

23 hours ago, Lois R said:

I thought a Monte Cristo had jam in between the layers..

ย 

The jam has always been served as a side when I have ordered that.

ย 

9 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I made a Lobster Rollย 

ย 

So good, but I have never been able to eat them as a traditional sandwich.ย  The thick split roll is so stuffed with Lobster that (or whatever mix that the restaurant is serving) how can it be eaten as a true sandwich?ย  Maybe my mouth is not large enough to accommodate the sandwich?ย  (If so, there will be many of my former students who will firmly disagree!)

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

The trick of a BLT is the tomato. ย It has to be a fresh juicy beefsteak fresh off the vine. ย 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

So good, but I have never been able to eat them as a traditional sandwich.ย  The thick split roll is so stuffed with Lobster that (or whatever mix that the restaurant is serving) how can it be eaten as a true sandwich?ย  Maybe my mouth is not large enough to accommodate the sandwich?ย  (If so, there will be many of my former students who will firmly disagree!)

If made like at home it is a pleasure to enjoy. In some restaurants it is in the sandwich menu part. When I make it at home the portions are enough to still enjoy.

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The trick of a BLT is the tomato. ย It has to be a fresh juicy beefsteak fresh off the vine. ย 

This time of the year we eat a lot of BLT's when the Beefsteaks are ready. Our butcher carrys a homemade applewood smoked bacon we ask to be cut to a certain thickness.

4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

Can anyone think of a sandwich that bacon would not improve?

Definitely Roast Beef... Yuk....

ย 

Next to bacon I like a Fried Bologna or Fried Jewish Salami sandwich.ย 

7 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Definitely Roast Beef... Yuk....

ย 

Next to bacon I like a Fried Bologna or Fried Jewish Salami sandwich.ย 

LOL...how about banana, salami, onion and mustard??? ย Donโ€™t knock it until you try it!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

LOL...how about banana, salami, onion and mustard??? ย Donโ€™t knock it until you try it!

I usually have an open mind but in this case........sorry, but I don't like onions on a sandwich so that is out for me and as much as I love bananas and salami, this one I will have to pass on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I usually have an open mind but in this case........sorry, but I don't like onions on a sandwich so that is out for me and as much as I love bananas and salami, this one I will have to pass on.

Banana and salami with mustard isnโ€™t bad either.๐Ÿ˜€

• Haha 1