What is your favorite sandwich on or off of a cruise ship

Seamus6

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Banana and salami with mustard isn’t bad either.😀

Good morning, I will pass.........thanks.  I would do an old fashioned salami/cheese and mustard on rye.

Or a Banana and Peanut Butter.   But not the above. 

39 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I will pass.........thanks.  I would do an old fashioned salami/cheese and mustard on rye.

Or a Banana and Peanut Butter.   But not the above. 

I double dog dare you!  This is one of the weirdest combinations I know of...but it works!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I double dog dare you!  This is one of the weirdest combinations I know of...but it works!

LOL.....I will lose.  Its ok, I realize this is all in fun😃.  Enjoy your sammie🙂

• Haha 1

Oh, I know that I am going to get many adverse reactions to what I am going to post.  That's OK.  It's a sandwich that I like.

Frisch's Big Boy's Swiss Miss:  a burger on a dark rye bun with Swiss Cheese with Frisch's Tarter Sauce on both sides of the bun.  Add an order of their Onion Rings with the sandwich?  Very satisfying for me.  It's a treat for me because I don't patronize a Big Boy very often.  

We don't have Frisch's down here but I do remember them as a kid. And Onion Rings instead of fries sound excellent to me😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

We don't have Frisch's down here but I do remember them as a kid. And Onion Rings instead of fries sound excellent to me😃

Thanks!  Gourmet dining is usually always an excellent experience.  But, sometime "hometown" food is what is most satisfying.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

LOL.....I will lose.  Its ok, I realize this is all in fun😃.  Enjoy your sammie🙂

LOL...here we are...a refuge/diversion for a bunch of shipdaft sailors waiting around for our cruise ships to start up again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Oh, I know that I am going to get many adverse reactions to what I am going to post.  That's OK.  It's a sandwich that I like.

Frisch's Big Boy's Swiss Miss:  a burger on a dark rye bun with Swiss Cheese with Frisch's Tarter Sauce on both sides of the bun.  Add an order of their Onion Rings with the sandwich?  Very satisfying for me.  It's a treat for me because I don't patronize a Big Boy very often.  

Sounds like a Swiss burger to me...delicious!  The onion rings sound just right too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Not Bad.....Not Bad...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

LOL...here we are...a refuge/diversion for a bunch of shipdaft sailors waiting around for our cruise ships to start up again.

R we going to attack the ship seeing it or the buffet.......lol.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Sounds like a Swiss burger to me...delicious!  The onion rings sound just right too!

I can prepare a decent facsimile myself of the Swiss Miss (thanks to Frisch's selling their Tarter Sauce in my grocery).  No french fryer, so I can't duplicate their Onion Rings.  Or, maybe, whatever type of onions that they use.  

On 6/6/2021 at 5:11 PM, rkacruiser said:

that's pretty close to a patty melt around here which I love...tartar sauce is the only outlier, I don't eat much of it because I'm not a big fish eater, but it's okay and I would think it could pair well with the sandwich.  And I love Onion rings which I almost got for lunch today...maybe tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 4:59 PM, rkacruiser said:

I can prepare a decent facsimile myself of the Swiss Miss (thanks to Frisch's selling their Tarter Sauce in my grocery).  No french fryer, so I can't duplicate their Onion Rings.  Or, maybe, whatever type of onions that they use.  

I got one of those Emeril oven/air fryers for Christmas.  I have yet to try making the onion rings.  I could actually make that entire sandwich in that oven.

4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

.tartar sauce is the only outlier, I don't eat much of it because I'm not a big fish eater,

I agree.  I did not realize that this was the sauce that Frisch's used on their Swiss Miss.  Tarter Sauce is associated with a fish entree--when it is needed--in my mind.  

I bought a jar and tried to duplicate this sandwich during my time in my bubble due to the pandemic.  It was successful.  My usual condiments are one side of the bun smeared with Miracle Whip and the other side with yellow mustard.  But, I do like this new version once in awhile.  

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I got one of those air fryers.

I got one of those in the past for Pop Corn and rarely used it. Till this day, I used the regular oil fry with Olive Oil which adds a taste. Never had interest in using it for other cooking.

43 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I got one of those in the past for Pop Corn and rarely used it. Till this day, I used the regular oil fry with Olive Oil which adds a taste. Never had interest in using it for other cooking.

This is a convection oven with rotisserie and air fry.  It does everything but I haven’t had time to experiment.  I don’t think it would be good for popcorn.  

• 4 months later...

Just remembered a sandwich that I rarely see on any menu at sea or ashore.  But, it is one that I do enjoy.

Monte Cristo sandwich (a French version is Croque Monsieur)   When I have had it, it is served with some type of preserves; sometimes with powdered sugar (which I don't care for:  it's messy and I invariably end up "wearing" some of the sugar).  

47 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Just remembered a sandwich that I rarely see on any menu at sea or ashore.  But, it is one that I do enjoy.

Monte Cristo sandwich (a French version is Croque Monsieur)   When I have had it, it is served with some type of preserves; sometimes with powdered sugar (which I don't care for:  it's messy and I invariably end up "wearing" some of the sugar).  

I LOVE a Monte Cristo!😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Rka,

Really you didn't see it on land, we do. Mostly a bunch dish on a Sunday. Have seen it at restaurants around the Lincoln Center definitely..

Really, you didn't see it on board? Always lunch in MDR on the QE2, my DW favorite. Wish I could show you on an old menu.

And we have had it also on the Mary 2 for lunch in also the MDR.

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Rka,

Really you didn't see it on land, we do. Mostly a bunch dish on a Sunday. Have seen it at restaurants around the Lincoln Center definitely..

Really, you didn't see it on board? Always lunch in MDR on the QE2, my DW favorite. Wish I could show you on an old menu.

And we have had it also on the Mary 2 for lunch in also the MDR.

It's a rare menu that I have seen either ashore on at sea that offers a Monte Cristo sandwich.  I don't recall seeing that offered on the Britannia's lunch menu on QM2, but, that's been awhile ago and my memory may be faulty.  

On 10/30/2021 at 5:23 PM, Lois R said:

I LOVE a Monte Cristo!😃

Out of curiosity, I ask Wikipedia about the sandwich and learned that it can be served with powdered sugar, preserves, and maple syrup.  I have experienced it with both powdered sugar and preserves (but, don't remember the kind).  Maple syrup?  No.  I have not had that served with the sandwich.  

• 3 weeks later...

I am a sandwich lover and there are many that rank among favorites.  But my two that rise to the top of the list is a really good Italian Sub (with peppers) and a decent Cubano.  Having spent over 3 years of my life on cruise ships I will admit to never having had either on a ship.   In fact, I have never had a memorable sandwich on any cruise line :(.  

Hank 

On 11/20/2021 at 11:23 PM, Hlitner said:

But my two that rise to the top of the list is a really good Italian Sub (with peppers) and a decent Cubano. 

Agree; a good Italian Sub is excellent.  I have never had a Cubano and I wonder why because I enjoy a Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich.  Maybe, it was because there was something else on the menu that enticed me more.  When I sailed on MSC Meraviglia, I never thought about ordering a Sub.  Too many other good choices!