The Daily for Friday May 14, 2021

richwmn

Today is Dance Like a Chicken Day, Shades Day, and International Dylan Thomas Day

Anything that is good and useful is made of chocolate.

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Butter Shrimp and Grits

Drink of the Day - Rolling in the Deep

Wine of the day - Lancaster Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley 2014

Port of the Day - Cabo San Lucas Mexico

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifing off San Diego
Noordam Drifting off Tijuana MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay BS
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Ijmuiden NL
Eurodam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0514Europe.thumb.png.2adec9a83bae09e4a9e20a882b4a4c9e.png

0514USA.thumb.png.9484bc6bcad25c19a3ac69274ca34192.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Friday Daily Report.

I'm thinking about Roy and sending him prayers. 

Interesting collection of days.  Dance like a chicken!  Love it.

Great quote, so true.

The meal suggestion sounds good.

Looking forward to reading about the drink of the day and the wine. 

Stay safe.

• Like 16

Good morning and thanks for the daily report today.  Ah, the chicken dance, I had forgotten about that.  It’s sunny here today so shades will be necessary.  The quote is fun and todays drink sounds very nautical, can’t wait to hear what’s in it.  Cheers to everyone with a celebration today and prayers to everyone in need.  A special prayer for Roy today and a successful surgery with a speedy recovery. 

• Like 15

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Quite the combination of days!  

I know a lot of people who totally agree with that chocolate quote.  Yum on the grilled shrimp but I’ll pass on the grits. 😉 

A quick post as I have to get to town to get stain for the deck and wanted to get the lists up and wish my very best for Roy today who is now at the hospital.

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina

Roy’s (rafinmd) cardiac surgery today, May 14th

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

JazzyV eye issues & CT scan & malaise

Garlictown difficult recovery from arm surgery

Sharon in AZ’s DGD quick recovery from concussion

NextOne’s DH  undergoing radiation to try to eliminate lesions & recovering from surgery & plumbing issues

Dani Negreanu - CC poster in Israel facing the bomb strikes

StLouisCruisers’s DS surgery recovery & her DB facing surgery

57redbird’s DH’s recovery from knee surgery and her challenge caring for him

ger_77’s DS reaction from the jab

Hoping St. Louis Sal’s drug trial is a success

Hoping VMax1700’s DW’s new medication from the oncologist does the trick

Highland Chaser 1957’s DH dental work & her BIL in ICU

Today’s Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

summer slope’s news that her DGD & parents are visiting in August

mamaofami’s two 15 year olds next in line for the “jab”

Appointment for 1st jab for StLouisCruisers 14 yr old DGS

No major side effects from the jab for bennybear’s DS

Highland chaser 1957’s DD getting her first jab

2nd jab for Crazy For Cats

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain (I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Garden Club people - if you have mulch on your gardens don’t forget to turn it to keep it effective.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 for those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily Rich! Wild combo of days! I am not sure I have ever seen a chicken dance. 🤔

Jacqui, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites, my Sisters & a special “thinking of you” to Roy! 

Great quote! Love shrimp, pass on the grits. @richwmn, I have visions of our Dailyites singing along “inch, by inch; row by row...”😎Looking forward to Summer’s recipe.  Today is a bit busy here. Zumba, mani-pedi, Bindi walks and friends over for scallops, salad, zoodles & wine. Hoping the clouds disappear. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

This Cab sounds wonderful, and has excellent ratings. The 2014 considered one of this winery’s best, is available online for $46.99 - you might find it cheaper locally.  

Winemaker Notes

#86 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

In addition to the Cabernet Sauvignon base, this wine is blended with Malbec, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Deeply and richly colored, nuanced with finely textured tannins, this is a wine that is deliciously approachable upon release but will continue its evolution over many years in the bottle, rewarding those with patience enough to set aside a library selection.

WS94 Wine Spectator:  Big and rich, with firm, structured tannins that are powerful and edgy, framing the core of blackberry, black cherry, plum and espresso flavors. An impressive effort. Best from 2019 through 2029.

WW94 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: For more than a decade, Lancaster has been one of my top Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignons. The 2014 vintage is one the winery's best to date. This wine offers expressive ripe red currants that even hints at blueberry. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks Rich, for the Daily seeds that start the fun and conversation growing. And for the Garden Song. Somehow I expect it'll be going through my head now when we're out today planting what we picked up yesterday at the nursery. If Mama Nature allows it... just heard a rumble of thunder...

Our prayers for all who are needful, especially Roy this morning. He was on our mind yesterday, so we popped by Panera for some flatbread pizza and went to the park for some al fresco dining.

This one's for you, Roy!

Roy.thumb.jpg.9b3dfbb6f03505a6f044be13c8ab283e.jpg

Our thoughts and prayers for all with a need and cheers for those with a cause. Have a great Friday, everyone!

Lori & George

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone.

It is another beautiful day here in northeast Ohio.  The sun is shining brightly and it is warming up a bit. I woke up with a headache and hope it goes away soon.   

Today's quote was written for @RuthC.   And, I happen to agree with her!

Grits are something you either love or hate.  My southern cousins loved them.  I preferred other things like noodles.    I'll take the garlic and butter part of this recipe.  

https://damndelicious.net/2019/08/24/garlic-butter-shrimp-and-grits/

Garlic-Butter-Shrimp-and-GritsIMG_0221.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Laughing at the dance like a chicken day.  The chicken dance was one of my students favorite.  Great quote....and I agree, anything  is good with chocolate.  The meal is wonderful, love grits.  Today is our 55th anniversary.  WOW!

Prayers and toasts to our lists, hedge of protection around Roy today.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Rolling in the Deep (could not find a photo):

1.5 oz Jim Beam Red Stag Bourbon; 1 oz Campari; .5 oz Sweet Vermouth. Combine all ingredients; Shake; Strain into glass with ice; Add orange wheel for garnish.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Today is Dance Like a Chicken Day, Shades Day, and International Dylan Thomas Day

Is Shades Day for sunglasses, window treatments, or colors?

I'm hoping it's the first one so I can put on my Ray Bans and cut the rug to the Chicken Dance polka, all while quoting, "Do not go gentle into that good night ."

• Like 19
  • Haha 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Hope that all goes well for Roy today.  @dfishI agree with you.  I’m not a fan of grits and I don’t eat shrimp. Not sure what will be on tonight’s menu, possibly takeout.  The morning after jab two and my arm is much more sore than the first jab.  It woke me up during the night.  I took some pain pills so hope that resolves that issue.  Today I’m taking Ashlee to the vet for her annual check up.  She won’t be happy with me when she finds out.😂

• Like 18

https://static.checkiday.com/img/1200/sunglasses-1045537.jpg

10 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Is Shades Day for sunglasses, window treatments, or colors?

I'm hoping it's the first one so I can put on my Ray Bans and cut the rug to the Chicken Dance polka, all while quoting, "Do not go gentle into that good night ."

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone. Thank you for our lists, Jacqui, and for the large print that’s easy for these eyes to read. We actually have a handy man coming today to install new shades in our family room and second bedroom.

I love today’s quote because I love chocolate, but have been eating the dark kind lately because it’s healthier. Also love the idea of grilled shrimp. Going to dig some out of the freezer.

Stay safe everyone and wear it don’t wear your masks.

Carol

• Like 12

Good  morning  and  thanks  for  lists,quotes,recipes  and  general  merriment. DH  and  I  saw  Arlo  Guthrie years  ago  and  I  remember  his  riff  regarding  the  "Garden  Song". DH  was  one  of  the  non  singers  in  the  audience. The  chicken  dance  was  seriously  silly !

@kazu, I  will  pass  on  the  mulch information to  DD. I  find  myself  inspecting  plants outside in  the  morning  but  do  not  look  as  cute  as  @ger_77,with  her  baby  Yoda look. The  busy  Bronx  woodland  creatures are  at it  every  night digging  holes  around  the  small  backyard and  the  humans have  been  redistributing it in  an  effort to  keep  plants  happy.

I  will  be  thinking  of  Roy  all  day along  with  everyone  here.  Take  care and  enjoy  the  day.

Terry

• Like 16