NHS App

amajaa

20 hours ago, amajaa said:

You don’t get charged for using the App.

But you will need an active wi fi signal which may incur a cost.

As I posted on another thread, maybe a screeshot(s) of your vaccination data might be acceptable.

Edited by terrierjohn

21 hours ago, amajaa said:

I just find it very odd my Husband wasn’t asked for extra proof, just put his NHS number in and voila. But I am being asked for extra proof, first of all he said I must have done something wrong, but then acknowledged I didn’t.

My husband didn’t get asked (I was) but he’s got a digi identity thing he set up on the Gov.co website when looking for his NI contributions. I didn’t set it up and I had to scan my passport page in and have my face scanned. The message said I’d be told within 7 days but I got confirmation in a few hours.

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

I sincerely hope so. It will be of limited use abroad if it only works when an internet connection is available. How often have you been in an airport or cruise terminal (like Barbados) which provides public wifi and found yourself unable to log on because the system is already fully subscribed with other users? Imagine the situation if a plane with a couple of hundred passengers or a cruise ship with several thousand arrives and all the passengers try to log on at once. And the alternative of international roaming may not be available on your phone. It should not be too difficult to store the information in the app so that it is always available.

I get loads of data on my phone so I should be ok, I can access the internet without having WiFi (as long as there’s phone signal!) Others should too.

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

I sincerely hope so. It will be of limited use abroad if it only works when an internet connection is available. How often have you been in an airport or cruise terminal (like Barbados) which provides public wifi and found yourself unable to log on because the system is already fully subscribed with other users? Imagine the situation if a plane with a couple of hundred passengers or a cruise ship with several thousand arrives and all the passengers try to log on at once. And the alternative of international roaming may not be available on your phone. It should not be too difficult to store the information in the app so that it is always available.

To be honest, never even in Barbados. But there is always a first time.

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But you will need an active wi fi signal which may incur a cost.

As I posted on another thread, maybe a screeshot(s) of your vaccination data might be acceptable.

I think you're getting WiFi and mobile data confused.

I have not yet come across a mobile company that charges you to use your device on WiFi. The WiFi might have a local charge but in places like airports WiFi is free.

As for screenshots, I think that will be down to the person checking. We need a test case.

Edited by MX-Drew

11 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

My husband didn’t get asked (I was) but he’s got a digi identity thing he set up on the Gov.co website when looking for his NI contributions. I didn’t set it up and I had to scan my passport page in and have my face scanned. The message said I’d be told within 7 days but I got confirmation in a few hours.

Ah I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Both my wife and I have Gov gateway IDs but we still required photo ID but it took minutes to be approved. 

• Like 1

I don't think this app has reached 'final form' yet... having some text on a screen isn't particularly secure - especially given your name isn't on that screen at the same time. Will you have to demonstrate you're logging in, then browse to the proof screen?

Eventually they'll end up with some internationally-scannable QR code that includes protection against copying, but I suppose what we have now is a start!

3 minutes ago, smollett said:

I don't think this app has reached 'final form' yet... having some text on a screen isn't particularly secure - especially given your name isn't on that screen at the same time. Will you have to demonstrate you're logging in, then browse to the proof screen?

Eventually they'll end up with some internationally-scannable QR code that includes protection against copying, but I suppose what we have now is a start!

On the app your name is above date of birth, I just cut the snip short for security

image.png.5b39ad227777c93e6da7c3f8dabad8b5.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

On the app your name is above date of birth, I just cut the snip short for security

IMG_2343.thumb.jpg.8b12829e5266379ae5aaa0d6ff5c7a3d.jpg

Interesting. Are you on Android?

I've got the latest update of the app on the iPhone and it doesn't have name/address on the vaccine page. 😞 

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I think you're getting WiFi and mobile data confused.

I have not yet come across a mobile company that charges you to use your device on WiFi. The WiFi might have a local charge but in places like airports WiFi is free.

As for screenshots, I think that will be down to the person checking. We need a test case.

I was using wi fi as a generic term for either a data package or a local wi fi signal. But there are still lots people who only have PAYG and dont want to use mobile data in case they end up with a big bill. And yes we need someone to test whether a screenshot would be accepted.

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Ah I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Both my wife and I have Gov gateway IDs but we still required photo ID but it took minutes to be approved. 

I didn't ask for photo id or fingerprint, I just went with password access and it was instantaneous.

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I am set up on the Gov.co.uk site as well but still got asked for ID yesterday and am still waiting for approval

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smollett said:

I've got the latest update of the app on the iPhone and it doesn't have name/address on the vaccine page. 😞 

Mine is the same as above, no name on this screen hence the reason I think a screenshot won’t be acceptable.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I was using wi fi as a generic term for either a data package or a local wi fi signal. But there are still lots people who only have PAYG and dont want to use mobile data in case they end up with a big bill. And yes we need someone to test whether a screenshot would be accepted.

The point is with PAYG phones can connect to WiFi without cost (as long as the WiFi in the area is free).

1 hour ago, smollett said:

Strange, just checked again in case it had changed due to an update

image.png.477068f5e5bbfd1a7b48bfe2dd3fd94c.png

45 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Strange, just checked again in case it had changed due to an update

Yep - do you have an Apple or an Android phone though?

Different platforms, different apps.

I have an Apple.

55 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

The point is with PAYG phones can connect to WiFi without cost (as long as the WiFi in the area is free).

I accept that but from experience over the last 10 years there are very few ports with good quality free wi fi, especially with thousands of cruise ship passengers all trying to gain access at the same time.

If we manage to start cruising again I hope my new 2gb/month data with Sky rollover will enable me to get much better access to the internet when I want it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smollett said:

Yep - do you have an Apple or an Android phone though?

Different platforms, different apps.

I have an Apple.

Android for me. I did note that when my missis checked on her Android phone she couldn't see her name.

I am on Android and my name or any personal details do not appear on the same page as vaccination details i.e. date, vaccine or batch number. My personal details appear on home page and then details of popular services and when I touch vaccine record personal details are not on next page. So in effect at check in at the port they would have to watch me log in to make sure of security that vaccine details apply to me.

2 hours ago, smollett said:

I think the wise approach is to get a physical print out.

Hopefully P&O should also give more guidance as the sail dates get closer.

I agree. I do have the NHS App but I'll be taking paper back-up as well - just in case. I'm sure it won't be needed but I'm a cautious person by nature and don't like leaving anything to chance - especially anything digital! Jane.x

• Like 2

Regardless of the ways to verify your vaccination record, I'd just like to say, that my records have shown up on my NHS app today.

As a total cynic, I thought that the likelihood of this happening was infinitesimal,  but I was totally wrong.

Some department, somewhere,  has played a blinder - kudos to the people involved.

A total contrast to the US, where, despite a pretty good vaccination process, their records appear to be shambolic.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Regardless of the ways to verify your vaccination record, I'd just like to say, that my records have shown up on my NHS app today.

As a total cynic, I thought that the likelihood of this happening was infinitesimal,  but I was totally wrong.

Some department, somewhere,  has played a blinder - kudos to the people involved.

A total contrast to the US, where, despite a pretty good vaccination process, their records appear to be shambolic.

What that have achieved took now more than 5 minutes of programming. It always amazes me how a tiny bit of programming pleases so many people but months of work goes unnoticed.

I say this as someone who has a background in programming.😉

• Like 1