Huge setback on Quantum just announced

3 hours ago, WxNerd said:

I feel the same way. When I found out were able to get a GS with the FCC credit we had from our Alaskan cruise balcony. I jumped all over it because I knew being confined to the cabin could be a reality. I’m content to sit on the balcony and read /nap for 7 days. This momma just needs a break from reality. It’s been a terrible year. 

Prices on our sailing dropped a few times, and eventually it came down enough that I upgraded to a GS for basically this reason.  I wanted to have a comfortable plan B.  I will also bring my knitting and some digital books. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

https://www.gov.sg/article/additional-restrictions-under-phase-2--heightened-alert

Based on this article from their government website everything royal is doing is due to the new restrictions set by their health ministry.

Singapore's response may be strict as it is some clusters of new cases but best to nip it in the butt before it gets worse.    

Hey, semi-neighbor!

I really don't intend to insult you or "correct" your spelling, but nipping something in the butt would be rather................painful.

The expression is "nip it in the bud".  (as in stop it before it flowers/grows larger)

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Hey, semi-neighbor!

I really don't intend to insult you or "correct" your spelling, but nipping something in the butt would be rather................painful.

The expression is "nip it in the bud".  (as in stop it before it flowers/grows larger)

Can't help but laugh. 🤣 ...from one that lives on a farm.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Doesn’t sound like a dream vacation, but I know we are prepared for something like this for our Nassau trip.  If you’re going to cruise in the upcoming months, it’s a risk you need to accept.  As long as the food one can get is a real meal, comparable to what they would serve in the MDR, it would be ok

Yes. We are afraid that Royal will over-react to incidents on their first few months of cruises (which we are on). 

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. We are afraid that Royal will over-react to incidents on their first few months of cruises (which we are on). 

Well, after the few ships being denied port privileges for weeks on end last year, I personally would not blame them for major caution

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Hey, semi-neighbor!

Whoopsie, typo or auto correct error.  Yes, that would be painful....😮

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We are too.  Hopefully all cruiselines will take all the necessary precautions to prevent anything from destroying them.  Definitely why they need to sail with fully vaccinated crew and passengers. 

My fear is getting a false positive and have to quarantine, but I'm still excited for our sailings in august.  I figure by then everything will be much better for all.

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

At least you are going in November, might be a litttle cooler on your balcony eating dinner, I know in the summer those Central Park Balconies are like incubators with a hot lamp on you. 

We've had one before on Oasis in October and it was nice.  I don't enjoy the Caribbean in the summer and only do it when I have to because of kids being out of school.  The last one we did was on X in August and we had a regular balcony - sometimes it was too hot to be outside on port days.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Prices on our sailing dropped a few times, and eventually it came down enough that I upgraded to a GS for basically this reason.  I wanted to have a comfortable plan B.  I will also bring my knitting and some digital books. 

We did the same, we were in an interior Central Park with no balcony and were able to move across the hall to a full balcony, no extra $.  And I check everyday to see if the Jrs go down enough to move up.

Just checked again, no suites left at all except lofts and above around $7k😧

Edited by BecciBoo

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Don't you mean upcoming years?

Quite possibly — a think a fair number of people will permanently approach travel a bit differently than before.  For example, I don’t expect to ever book an inside cabin again.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

I was thinking bring extra books. In case its extended, though very slight possibility. I tried online but hard to save my place and went back to regular books. I had a stack ready for my cruise April 2020, but finally gave up and just recently started reading them. I'll get more if I ever get to cruise again. .. as you say extra books just in case. 

This might be one time post covid the wifi pkg is worth buying for me. If I got mostly confined to my cabin. Lol it's not like the tv channels provided are spellbinding. It does sound like they can go out of their cabins though if they can pick up grab and go food.

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Great, lower prices for the rest.

You’re welcome to it — my travel goals tend to be best value/experience for my money, as opposed to cheapest price.

Edited by 3kidsncats
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I was thinking bring extra books. In case its extended, though very slight possibility. I tried online but hard to save my place and went back to regular books. I had a stack ready for my cruise April 2020, but finally gave up and just recently started reading them. I'll get more if I ever get to cruise again. .. as you say extra books just in case. 

This might be one time post covid the wifi pkg is worth buying for me. If I got mostly confined to my cabin. Lol it's not like the tv channels provided are spellbinding. It does sound like they can go out of their cabins though if they can pick up grab and go food.

I just recently purchased the Kindle Paperwhite.  Love it.  Now I read anywhere.  With my Kindle Fire, I could not read on the beach in the sun or even on deck. All my books are now on my paperwhite.

Hopefully we don't get confined to our cabin, but in case, I have downloaded several movies to my tablet.  Now if we can just cruise without incident. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, timf2001 said:

This is not the fault of anything onboard, but rather Singapore overreacting to a few cases of COVID that have popped up on shore.

Their overreaction last March got them back to close to normal months ahead of most of the rest of the world. I bet you won't hear the crying and whining from the locals like you do here in the U.S.

• Like 7

I *love* the recurring theme in these forums is to undermine/question countries' health authorities decisions to err on the side of safety. "it's an overreaction", "it's an over reach",  say the person who has no epidemiology or public health experience.

• Like 7

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Huge setback on Quantum just announced

Biker , who wonders if there was any bumping on these sailing or why RCI didn't just pull the plug on the sailings:

From 17 May to 13 June 2021, significant changes has been made to guest experience onboard as Singapore enters Phase 2 (Heightened Alert). Additional restrictions - including closure of dine-in restaurants and only carrying a 25% load were phased in today, to match with health protocols ashore.
New Protocols Include:
■ Quantum of the Seas is set to sail at 25% occupancy capacity
■ Group sizes will be limited to two guests per cabin booking.
■ Guest occupancy in public venues will be reduced accordingly, allowing for at least 16 sqm per guest, while theatres will be limited to 50 attendees for each show.
■ Heightened limits will apply to all pools and hot tubs and also at SeaPlex, our signature indoor activity venue.
■ For dining, we have made adjustments to offer takeaway options, and guests will also enjoy a wide range of choices for room service.
Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Biker , who wonders if there was any bumping on these sailing or why RCI didn't just pull the plug on the sailings:

From 17 May to 13 June 2021, significant changes has been made to guest experience onboard as Singapore enters Phase 2 (Heightened Alert). Additional restrictions - including closure of dine-in restaurants and only carrying a 25% load were phased in today, to match with health protocols ashore.
New Protocols Include:
■ Quantum of the Seas is set to sail at 25% occupancy capacity
■ Group sizes will be limited to two guests per cabin booking.
■ Guest occupancy in public venues will be reduced accordingly, allowing for at least 16 sqm per guest, while theatres will be limited to 50 attendees for each show.
■ Heightened limits will apply to all pools and hot tubs and also at SeaPlex, our signature indoor activity venue.
■ For dining, we have made adjustments to offer takeaway options, and guests will also enjoy a wide range of choices for room service.

Yep, you've got to wonder why they didn't just pull those sailings. 

It's unfortunate but who would want to sail under that many restrictions anyway - no dine-in restaurants etc..

I know some here have expressed that they would be happy just to be on a cruise ship even if just hanging out on their balcony but I'll pass with that many restrictions as listed above.

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

If there are only 2 people per stateroom and only 25% occupancy; there probably isn't anyone booked in an inside cabin, unless for some reason they want to be in one. 

I'm pretty sure even before this, Quantum was not booking any insides.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 2:48 PM, coldflame said:

I *love* the recurring theme in these forums is to undermine/question countries' health authorities decisions to err on the side of safety. "it's an overreaction", "it's an over reach",  say the person who has no epidemiology or public health experience.

I think the next pandemic has already arrived, it's called CC21. It looks like more than a few people around here have caught it. The symptoms are incessant whining and moaning  about anyone or anything that gets in the way of their planned cruise. "Don't those health officials know, I deserve my vacation!" 😭

🙄

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1