What is your Favorite Cake/Cookies/Pastry/Sandwiches/Tea when attending an On Board Tea Time.....

BklynBoy8

I am so embarrassed forgetting to post this question while always sailing on a Cunard Ship - QM2 and attending Tea Times.

Not sure if other ships/lines offer such a service as a traditional afternoon social gathering.

Well most Pastries I favor and of course Original Style Scones with Authentic Strawberry Jam and Devonshire Clotted Cream. We even like having the same at home. I do get Jam from the UK and Devonshire Clotted Cream during the Fall/Winter months since they don't travel well in heat. And we have a great bakery for Scones.

Darjeeling Tea is my favorite tea with sugar and slice of lemon.

Prime Rib, Egg Salad w Watercress, Virginia Ham, Cream Cheese w Cucumber are some of my favorites. Do have to watch, not too many, dinner is not far off.

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Do have to watch, not too many, dinner is not far off.

I do as well.  Being a late diner helps.  

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Scones with Authentic Strawberry Jam and Devonshire Clotted Cream. 

Of course!  But, is the "clotted Cream" that I am served on a HAL or Princess ship really that product?  I doubt it.  

Darjeeling Tea is my preference as well; no sugar, just lemon.  Since tea is usually via tea bag with a pot of hot (hopefully) water, I have chosen other teas--maybe a mint type or Orange/Spice--at times.  

Tea sandwiches:  any type of salad (chicken, tuna, salmon, shrimp, crab) sandwich I enjoy.  Cucumber with or without smoked salmon sandwiches are always good.  A cream cheese and smoked salmon sandwich is good as well. 

The small cakes look attractive and I will sample once in awhile.  Can't say that anything was preferred.  An almond flavor cookie or two or...., yes!     

The most "formal" of teas that I have attended was on QM2 in the Queen's Room and on QE2 in the Tourist Class Lounge (whatever it was called).  

QM2's tea was a delight; live music, white glove service, I felt under-dressed for such an occasion (I was wearing shorts:  the cruise was one in the Caribbean.)  

QE2?  A totally different story that is not appropriate for this thread.  

My most recent favorite tea experience was aboard Royal Princess.  Their Royal Champagne Tea offered once a cruise, extra cost, held in a Lounge adjacent to the Atrium, again with live music and with narration by the Maitre d' of the teas and the goodies being served.  It was elegant.  And, very enjoyable.  

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Of course!  But, is the "clotted Cream" that I am served on a HAL or Princess ship really that product?  I doubt it.  

Darjeeling Tea is my preference as well; no sugar, just lemon.  Since tea is usually via tea bag with a pot of hot (hopefully) water, I have chosen other teas--maybe a mint type or Orange/Spice--at times.

I too like a mint tea. We have various brands with different mints. Spearmint - Peppermint - Southern Mint.

Funny story about the Clotted Cream. We were on a sailing on the QM2 and after the Meet & Greet I organized we all went to the Qx Rm for Tea. A Cruise Critic - Jim's Girl - sat with us. When the Server came with the Scones, Jam and Cream Jim's Girl saw the cream in the dish and asked him to please bring the real Clotted Cream from the kitchen. When came back he brought a dish with something that looked like Sour Cream (thicker than what's served). What a difference what they initially served us. So creamy and complimented the Jam and Scone. So there is something else in the kitchen that is real. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Did it satisfy Jim's Girl?  

Very Much the way it should taste. We made sure we all got a portion for each of us (5 others seated).

I must tell you, a BIG difference. Didn't taste like something out of a can.

I have never managed to attend a Tea on a cruise ship.  I know all our HAL ships had them and something else always conflicted.  I will have to make a better effort in the future.

With friends and family, at home, I have enjoyed the herbed cream cheese with thin slices on onion and cucumber and ones with a smoked chicken salad.

I have made scones with my medieval group and they were pretty good.  I am not sure they were dry and tasteless enough to be true English style scones like the ones I had in Ireland.

I am not a big tea drinker but I do l enjoy an Orange spice tea that I am not sure is actual tea but it's tasty.

15 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I have never managed to attend a Tea on a cruise ship.  I know all our HAL ships had them and something else always conflicted.  I will have to make a better effort in the future.

With friends and family, at home, I have enjoyed the herbed cream cheese with thin slices on onion and cucumber and ones with a smoked chicken salad.

I have made scones with my medieval group and they were pretty good.  I am not sure they were dry and tasteless enough to be true English style scones like the ones I had in Ireland.

I am not a big tea drinker but I do l enjoy an Orange spice tea that I am not sure is actual tea but it's tasty.

seamus,

Should try it someday. I more a social time of gathering together over goodies and tea.

The QM2 also holds what they call Tea Dances. During the tea being served there is a quartet or a performer with a single instrument passengers can dance to .

On some cruises, we gather at tea to share thoughts of what we done or to do on board. Also possibly what we may do together on tours. 

On 5/19/2021 at 1:14 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

seamus,

Should try it someday. I more a social time of gathering together over goodies and tea.

The QM2 also holds what they call Tea Dances. During the tea being served there is a quartet or a performer with a single instrument passengers can dance to .

On some cruises, we gather at tea to share thoughts of what we done or to do on board. Also possibly what we may do together on tours. 

We definitely gravitate towards slow-paced relaxing events like a Tea rather then a raucous pool party or night club event.  Would love enjoying it with a nice soothing quartet.  Further confirmation that my DH and I are old farts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2021 at 9:37 AM, seamus69 said:

I have never managed to attend a Tea on a cruise ship.  I know all our HAL ships had them and something else always conflicted.

Conflicts?  Yes, I have experienced such.  

Tea on a HAL, Princess, or Carnival ship is a totally different experience as compared to tea on QM2.  And, I am sure, the other two Queens, as well.  

On my cruise on MSC Meraviglia in Yacht Club, I attended tea in the YC Lounge once.  There was no positive comparison with my experience on QM2.  How did this experience with my other cruise lines that I have listed?  The Butlers wore white gloves as they served the tea and were dressed in formal attire.  

• Like 1

seamus,

I don't have a picture of the first tea we attended after the Meet & Greet second day out which people are very casual for afternoon dress.

The picture attached is the last day out before disembarking they hold their Tea Dance. Everyone makes it an elegant event where people may be saying goodbye to each other or one more good time before packing the bags. They need to start placing bags out at 6PM on.

20170705_153017.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

seamus,

I don't have a picture of the first tea we attended after the Meet & Greet second day out which people are very casual for afternoon dress.

The picture attached is the last day out before disembarking they hold their Tea Dance. Everyone makes it an elegant event where people may be saying goodbye to each other or one more good time before packing the bags. They need to start placing bags out at 6PM on.

Thanks, BB.

I'm sure I would enjoy either setting but I'm really look forward to the latter since we're always looking for an opportunity to wear our suits and  not stick out like a sore thumb after the demise of formal nights at dinner.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:37 AM, seamus69 said:

We definitely gravitate towards slow-paced relaxing events like a Tea rather then a raucous pool party or night club event.  Would love enjoying it with a nice soothing quartet.  Further confirmation that my DH and I are old farts!

I think you would enjoy the Royal Champagne Tea aboard Royal Princess that I mentioned earlier in this thread.  

On 5/22/2021 at 6:53 AM, seamus69 said:

how are cruisers typically dressed for Tea?

For the Royal Princess tea, I changed from shorts to long pants with a nice polo shirt.  With the exception of one family's children who attended and were properly "in tune" with the event, all others were dressed much the same.  Those children wore nice shirts/blouses and shorts.

7 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I'm really look forward to the latter since we're always looking for an opportunity to wear our suits and  not stick out like a sore thumb after the demise of formal nights at dinner.

Only once did I feel somewhat overdressed and that was because the couple that took the two empty seats next to mine in the main showroom of Star Princess were so under dressed:  t-shirts, swimming type shorts, and flip-flops.  Sitting there in my tux, I felt "odd" which I have learned I should not have so.  That was another learning experience.  I will wear what I feel is appropriate to wear and if someone does not like it, then stop looking!  If I want to get out of my seat and dance to some music by ABBA or Gloria Gaynor or whomever and someone thinks "I am odd".  Well, so be it!  That's your problem; it is not mine!

On 5/23/2021 at 4:33 PM, rkacruiser said:

I think you would enjoy the Royal Champagne Tea aboard Royal Princess that I mentioned earlier in this thread.  

For the Royal Princess tea, I changed from shorts to long pants with a nice polo shirt.  With the exception of one family's children who attended and were properly "in tune" with the event, all others were dressed much the same.  Those children wore nice shirts/blouses and shorts.

Only once did I feel somewhat overdressed and that was because the couple that took the two empty seats next to mine in the main showroom of Star Princess were so under dressed:  t-shirts, swimming type shorts, and flip-flops.  Sitting there in my tux, I felt "odd" which I have learned I should not have so.  That was another learning experience.  I will wear what I feel is appropriate to wear and if someone does not like it, then stop looking!  If I want to get out of my seat and dance to some music by ABBA or Gloria Gaynor or whomever and someone thinks "I am odd".  Well, so be it!  That's your problem; it is not mine!

well then I will plan on us wearing suits or tuxes for a tea.  I doubt they have teas aboard the American Queen or Enchantment of the Seas but I'm going to try to find out.  We'll have formal clothes anyway for dinner even tough no lines have real formal nights anymore.  We always go formal on the lame elegant trailer park nights or whatever they are calling it now.

2 hours ago, seamus69 said:

well then I will plan on us wearing suits or tuxes for a tea.  I doubt they have teas aboard the American Queen or Enchantment of the Seas but I'm going to try to find out.  We'll have formal clothes anyway for dinner even tough no lines have real formal nights anymore.  We always go formal on the lame elegant trailer park nights or whatever they are calling it now.

As part of our perk booking with our travel agent with the Cunard Booking we will be treated to the Champagne High Tea with little more elegant offerings w Champagne at the one particular Tea.

I am expecting to maybe wear a suit jacket w open collar and no more than that. It's not like High Tea in the Waldorf on the Strand in London. But a separate space is most likely set a side from the regular tea attendees to serve the upscale tea option.

I am surprised that American Queen, a steam boat, wouldn't have elegant offering Southern Style tea.. I know they offered it in Gone With The Wind.

But it will be interesting to experience this type of tea for the first time. We always attended the original tea time.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:46 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

I am expecting to maybe wear a suit jacket w open collar and no more than that.

Perfectly attired, I am sure.  

I am surprised that American Queen, a steam boat, wouldn't have elegant offering Southern Style tea.. I know they offered it in Gone With The Wind.

I'd be surprised if they did offer such.  But, I admit, I know little about the cruise lines that are operating on the rivers of the United States.  Other than this fact:  they are as expensive, if not more so, than an ocean cruise.  

As part of our perk booking with our travel agent with the Cunard Booking we will be treated to the Champagne High Tea with little more elegant offerings w Champagne at the one particular Tea.

I am expecting to maybe wear a suit jacket w open collar and no more than that. It's not like High Tea in the Waldorf on the Strand in London. But a separate space is most likely set a side from the regular tea attendees to serve the upscale tea option.

But it will be interesting to experience this type of tea for the first time. We always attended the original tea time.

Do you know the difference between High Tea and Afternoon Tea??

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Do you know the difference between High Tea and Afternoon Tea??

I do have the Menu from the Waldorf but it will take time to find it and go over it for you.

If I remember well, it was a more up scale offerings, music, don't remember if dance, but it was elegant.

QM2 offers Regular Afternoon Tea and then the Champagne Tea which we are suppose to be part of our next sailing offering. From our Travel Agency for long time booking history gratits,

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I do have the Menu from the Waldorf but it will take time to find it and go over it for you.

If I remember well, it was a more up scale offerings, music, don't remember if dance, but it was elegant.

QM2 offers Regular Afternoon Tea and then the Champagne Tea which we are suppose to be part of our next sailing offering. From our Travel Agency for long time booking history gratits,

Right...High Tea is a veritable feast complete with side dishes.  High Tea serves as a complete meal.  Afternoon Tea is the typical daily tea served with snacks designed to carry you over for dinner.  I believe your Cunard Champagne Tea will be a High Tea.  

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Right...High Tea is a veritable feast complete with side dishes.  High Tea serves as a complete meal.  Afternoon Tea is the typical daily tea served with snacks designed to carry you over for dinner.  I believe your Cunard Champagne Tea will be a High Tea.  

Right about Champagne Tea....we are suppose to experience it as a travel agency treat to us on the next sailing. But remember tea is from 330PM - 430PM or a little pass and regular dinner starts at 6PM or grills 630PM... One meal on top of another...my DW just mentioned. That is why we like Club Britannia, go when we want without restriction.

I just noticed that the QM2 has extensive Tea Times on board...

Traditional Tea Time - Queens Room regular  (sometimes with music/dance)

High Tea (Champagne or Enchanced Tea) - Queen Rooms (another section of the room)

Secondary Tea Time - In Kings Court for grab to go (without elegant surrounding)

Sir Samuels - Chocolate Godiva Tea Time

Lion's Share - Golden Lion Pub - Pub Style Sandwiches  w or w/o Flight of Beer

What a selection......

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I just noticed that the QM2 has extensive Tea Times on board...

Traditional Tea Time - Queens Room regular  (sometimes with music/dance)

High Tea (Champagne or Enchanced Tea) - Queen Rooms (another section of the room)

Secondary Tea Time - In Kings Court for grab to go (without elegant surrounding)

Sir Samuels - Chocolate Godiva Tea Time

Lion's Share - Golden Lion Pub - Pub Style Sandwiches  w or w/o Flight of Beer

What a selection......

LOL...I think I’d have trouble making it to the dining room after all that!   

9 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

LOL...I think I’d have trouble making it to the dining room after all that!   

As my Dear Mother use to say " Moderation ".........

That is why I am glad we selected a 14 day on 2022 to try a little of each maybe. 

7 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

As my Dear Mother use to say " Moderation ".........

That is why I am glad we selected a 14 day on 2022 to try a little of each maybe. 

Yes...and you know what I always say...Everything in moderation...including moderation!  

• Haha 1