Melbourne and/or Tasmania?

F02

Melbourne and/or Tasmania? That is the question.

I could spend at most 10 days in Australia prior to a cruise out of Melbourne.

I would appreciate if you shared some pleasant experience of stays in the region. I cannot imagine driving myself. If you can recommend hotels, please do so.

Thank you.

Melbourne is very easy to get around by public transport. And it should be easy enough to find tours to interesting places near Melbourne - Philip Island for the Penguin Parade, the Great Ocean Rd, the Yarra Valley and Healesville wildlife sanctuary.

Tasmania would be trickier as you really need to drive there or do a tour for several days.

8 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

... tours to interesting places near Melbourne - Philip Island for the Penguin Parade, the Great Ocean Rd, the Yarra Valley and Healesville wildlife sanctuary.

Thank you OzKiwiJJ.

The suggested tours look interesting to me. I am just not sure if they are meant for one-day tours from Melbourne or if the idea is to stay closer to the sights, as sunset and early morning activities are mentioned on some of the sites I looked at. Would you have more information about that?

22 minutes ago, F02 said:

Thank you OzKiwiJJ.

The suggested tours look interesting to me. I am just not sure if they are meant for one-day tours from Melbourne or if the idea is to stay closer to the sights, as sunset and early morning activities are mentioned on some of the sites I looked at. Would you have more information about that?

Philip Island can be done as a day trip. The penguins come ashore at dusk so it makes for a late night getting back to Melbourne. I'm not sure what time the tours leave Melbourne these days. I did it many years ago and it left early afternoon then. It's really worth seeing the penguins, they are amazing and very cute. I think the tours go to other places on Philip Island as well.

The Yarra Valley trips are day trips and often offer time at the Healesville wildlife sanctuary, or wine tasting, and some do the Puffing Billy train trip in the Dandenongs.

I'm not sure what is available for the Great Ocean Road, it's a long trip from Melbourne so if there is a two day option that might be best, We did it by road some years ago and took two days to enjoy the scenery.

Another area just outside Melbourne that is interesting is Hanging Rock. It's a decent walk up to the top but worth it, and you might see a koala in the wild there. We did once. 

Thank you OzKiwiJJ.

The Hanging Rock looks really interesting to me – and I would like to climb it before it goes the same way as Uluru. (Of course I know that that can be seen differently from another point of view.)

I will try to put up a plan to get most out of the few days I will be able to spend in the region – if Covid-19 or other problems do not force me to cancel the trip entirely.

Thank you again.

• Like 1

I love Tasmania, but you really need a car to get the most out of it. Whereas Melbourne is a major city, a good public transport system, plenty of tours you can take. So would probably be best for you.

What are your interests? That may change our advice.

On 5/24/2021 at 7:29 AM, GUT2407 said:

I love Tasmania, but you really need a car to get the most out of it. Whereas Melbourne is a major city, a good public transport system, plenty of tours you can take. So would probably be best for you.

What are your interests? That may change our advice.

Bunnik Tours, a local SA Travel Company, runs tours of Tasmania, which might suit you.  They only carry 20 people on their bus.  I Usually visit Melbourne every year and Tasmania every second year and both places are great places to visit, so you can't go wrong with either.  

We have been to Australia several times.  We do love the Melbourne area.  Certainly do not discount renting a car.  Our drive along the Great Ocean Road was a highlight-so much so that we plan to return.  Lots of places to visit by car.  

Last time, in 2019 we spent time from Noosa (Birsbane) down to Sydney.  Then we had a week in Tasmania.  Really enjoyed it because it was so different. But you definitely need a car to see Tasmania.  We flew into Hobart and out of Launceston.

As others have said, both are worth a visit.

We cannot imagine visiting Australia, other than Sydney, without renting a car.

If you decide on Tasmania sign up for Jetstar specials.  They often run excellent air sales. Last time we caught inexpensive air to Tasmania.  We also return on Jeststar to HNL, and then another carrier home after a stop over.

Edited by iancal

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all.

Bunnik tours seem to have a tour that I would really like, but I thought on spending only somewhere around 7 days in Tasmania (and those mainly in 2021). The tour I mean last for 2 weeks.

For the time being I expect myself rather staying in Melbourne and taking some organized tours.

Tours have the advantage that I visit some of the nicest sights and receive the important information without having to look for it. In addition, if necessary, I can sleep on the coach, I am not responsible for missing the right exit and I do not have to drive on the wrong side of the road. (I just could not miss that one 3.gif).