Yacht Club Pricing ...ouch

chisoxfan

48 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I love MSC, so don't flame me for what I'm about to say. The World will never beat the Oasis Class. Oasis shows are better, a larger ship with less passengers, An Ice sating show, and a tremendous water show. 

...Bear in mind that before the pandemic MSC had the now defunct Cirque du Soleil as a partner for both the Mera class Carousel Lounge, the private island on the Bahamas and the soon to be World class!... The first 2 World class ships will to be basically an Oasis ship without the Aqua theater, and a few more passengers... The 2nd pair of ships (that might not to see the day light) would to be the largest in the world and have even more and better amenities... With Cirque du Soleil as the star of the company making most of both free and paid for entertainment aboard!...

Meanwhile, let us to have both the Oasis and the World class to savor for the ones whom appreciate that experience. They won't to be eternal and the whole industry will likely to make a shift for the smaller ships again!... Both ships are becoming sort of out their time right now, even though there are firm orders for both of them on the shipyards right now!...

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

MSC had the now defunct Cirque du Soleil as a partner for both the Mera class Carousel Lounge, 

I was wondering if this programming would continue.  Did not know--for certain--that Cirque was defunct.  What will MSC do with this excellent venue for performances such as that show?  

I've sailed in The Haven on NCL and it is crazy expensive for a single ( $8500 ). Similar sailings in the Yacht club are ridiculously less expensive. Have  3 upcoming YC sailings, 2 on Meraviglia and 1 on Seashore. All 3 are YC Inside Suites ( prefer an inside cabin ). Both Meraviglia are $2576 total for 1. Seashore (new ship so understandable) $3300 for 1. All sailings are 7 day out of Miami or Port Canaveral. These sailings will be my first YC experience with MSC. Sailed on the line before, just not YC. From what I've been seeing and hearing I won't be disappointed. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I was wondering if this programming would continue.  Did not know--for certain--that Cirque was defunct.  What will MSC do with this excellent venue for performances such as that show?  

Cirque du Soleil was purchased by such a Canadian fund and is struggling to restart their activities... But, there will to be several years till they reach what they used to be, if ever... Maybe MSC can to negotiate a new partnership with said new owners? Time will tell, but I don't believe so. The "brand new" Cirque du Soleil will to be a far different venture that will eventually just to save the valuable show catalog to outsource elsewhere?... It wont to be the defunct product anymore soon, if ever...

...So, MSC will now need to rework their entertainment options... Don't know with what...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, miataman19 said:

I've sailed in The Haven on NCL and it is crazy expensive for a single ( $8500 ). Similar sailings in the Yacht club are ridiculously less expensive. Have  3 upcoming YC sailings, 2 on Meraviglia and 1 on Seashore. All 3 are YC Inside Suites ( prefer an inside cabin ). Both Meraviglia are $2576 total for 1. Seashore (new ship so understandable) $3300 for 1. All sailings are 7 day out of Miami or Port Canaveral. These sailings will be my first YC experience with MSC. Sailed on the line before, just not YC. From what I've been seeing and hearing I won't be disappointed. 

Those prices are more or less in line with most of the current YIN offerings elsewhere for 2 or for 1. Bear in mind that despite the better furniture those cabins are just more or less the size of a regular inside. Yeah! That's a good choice, even though a little bit overpriced for me...

TBHH; The haven is far too overpriced for what it is right now!... At that price range one can snag a Viking cruise with same or even better inclusions!... To each his own, really!... I'm out!...

Have a nice day!...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Cirque du Soleil was purchased by such a Canadian fund and is struggling to restart their activities.

6 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

The "brand new" Cirque du Soleil will to be a far different venture that will eventually just to save the valuable show catalog to outsource elsewhere?...

Thanks for your informative post.  I was unaware that the company had been purchased.  The show catalog ought to have some interest by some entertainment company.  Maybe even update and improve it?  It will be interesting to watch what develops.

I still wonder about the venue on the ship.  How will MSC use that sizeable space?  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your informative post.  I was unaware that the company had been purchased.  The show catalog ought to have some interest by some entertainment company.  Maybe even update and improve it?  It will be interesting to watch what develops.

I still wonder about the venue on the ship.  How will MSC use that sizeable space?  

Apparently the Canadians have purchased both the Cirque du Soleil show catalogue, the American and Canadian divisions. The leftovers have gone bust, even though they have plans for London from 2022 onward.

For now MSC is using the Carousel Lounge as just another lounge for the usual "night club" activities they used to have on the older ships. According to the reviews to date it is a mix of a latino band, a girls band, a boys band, a tribute band, or just the usual animation team things, but those lounges are among the most technologically advanced show rooms at see (actually they're world wide top notch show rooms land or see!). I believe that they'll likely to find something better and more profitable to use those lounges... For now good that they're using them just as a crowd dispersion venue, and they'll no doubt to need them as that for the foreseeable future...

Have a nice day!...

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

For now MSC is using the Carousel Lounge as just another lounge for the usual "night club" activities they used to have on the older ships.

21 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

but those lounges are among the most technologically advanced show rooms at see (actually they're world wide top notch show rooms land or see!)

Thank you for your reply.  I am not surprised that they are very technologically advanced.  I was impressed at what I saw.  In comparison to HAL's much anticipated World Stage Theater on their Pinnacle Class which were supposed to be so advanced, MSC has made considerably better use of the Carousel Lounge than HAL has done with the World Stage.  

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 1:58 PM, deliver42 said:

I love MSC, so don't flame me for what I'm about to say. The World will never beat the Oasis Class. Oasis shows are better, a larger ship with less passengers, An Ice sating show, and a tremendous water show. 

I assume you are speaking of the Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships.

Been on them all. Love them.

But now that we are older....although I would still book any of the Oasis class ships.....nothing beats the relaxed luxury of the Yacht Club.

Perhaps some of the bells & whistles are missing but in the YC...the crowds are missing   :O)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 11:47 AM, Nunagoras said:

Those prices are more or less in line with most of the current YIN offerings elsewhere for 2 or for 1. Bear in mind that despite the better furniture those cabins are just more or less the size of a regular inside. Yeah! That's a good choice, even though a little bit overpriced for me...

TBHH; The haven is far too overpriced for what it is right now!... At that price range one can snag a Viking cruise with same or even better inclusions!... To each his own, really!... I'm out!...

Have a nice day!...

I was absolutely shocked at how much NCL Haven prices have risen in the past year - its crazy. We love the Haven and even have credit to be used prior to June but struggling to find a reasonable booking. We have a Panama canal coming up but we were able to use credits to defray the cost. 

We ended up booking 2 YC cruises - 4 day on Divina, 7 day on Seashore for 1K less than one 7 day Haven booking with a similar Caribbean itinerary. Very excited to try the YC!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 3

Wanna know what's expensive ? Celebrity wants 1500.00 $ for third passenger in cabin while first and second 1300 $ lol. I never saw it before and I will not pay this price just because its ridiculous. More I read all this more I think to rent a villa in Aruba and forget about cruising until all this covid bull gone. Every half an hour is different rule or change of rules. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

More I read all this more I think to rent a villa in Aruba and forget about cruising until all this covid bull gone. Every half an hour is different rule or change of rules. 

We loved Aruba on our stop there and have been saying something similar.   The way prices are going, we’re looking more and more at land-based holidays which seem to offer better value.   The new ships especially are just too big, too, with too many people onboard and YC prices for these ships are getting crazy. 

• Like 2

This is exactly what happened to Haven around about 2015-2016. Everybody played right into their hands and talked up how great a deal it was etc, and then the price hike came and hasn’t let up since. That’s what’s going on here. With CC help they word of mouth of the experience has hooked enough people and now here comes the price climb. 

5900 still isn’t 9500$ for two people in a Courtyard or Fwd facing suite on NCL for Haven for 7ni. If you can keep it under 10k$ for Haven on NCL on Encore or Bliss you’ve accomplished something!! 

I still like YC better. When of course you don’t happen to hit it and you get stuck with crappy YC staff (rare but has happened to us in one sailing). 

• Like 1

Hi,

price is one aspect. I was always wondering how some cruises can be offered for more or less the same price as my first cruise in 2009 on MSC.

My experience is: the product has declined. Standard MSC cruise is not the same as 10 years before and YC is not the same as when it started. Price changes are visible. Changes in the product are tangible only if you are actually on a cruise or if you have good infos from others.

If food in YC is not much better than MDR. If servcie is not much better. And if YC areas are going to be crowded, then I try to book MSC standard cruises for 100-120€ per night, book a drink package and some special dining option.

When I hear that ships are capacity limited to 70%, but YC is loaded for 100% (and more) while the "keep distance" rule applies to YC as well, then I would say: a bad move MSC.

Still plan to figure out the facts on my own and booked 2 YC cruises in Sept.🙂

cheers

MouseBerry

• Like 1

I think a lot of the increased YC prices has to do with the bidding system.  And NCL did the same thing.  MSC sells a decent percentage of YC cabins at the inflated prices then bids off the unsold to people that haven't been watching the prices and think they're getting a deal.  That's what happened on the last couple of my sailings, I estimated about 25% of the YC passengers got there from bids.  As a business model it evidently makes more money for the company. 

Look at the YC availability for some of the upcoming Fall Divina and Meraviglia sailings, usually MSC tries to hide the vast number of open cabins this close to sailing.  A massive opportunity for the bidders?  The problem is MSC will base the minimum bids off of that listed $5000+ per week rate, which is pure fiction.

13 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We loved Aruba on our stop there and have been saying something similar.   The way prices are going, we’re looking more and more at land-based holidays which seem to offer better value.   The new ships especially are just too big, too, with too many people onboard and YC prices for these ships are getting crazy. 

Its crazy , every company goes with own rules, every country goes with own rules . Every half an hour different news making it no possible to plane ahead . We are working and have to flight to cruise so we can't play " pack and go" game. We booked MSC for DEC and I really want to be on this ship but no way I am wearing mask or cruising with no vaccinated people. and not because I am afraid to get sick ,but mainly because they have 70% more chances to get sick and they will be tested (lots of false tests),and then cruise line will f** the brain to anyone who had contact or even pass by them . I am stressed enough now I don't need extra stress on vacation. Right now options are -MSC playing CDC rules or we cruise with HAL at least the food is amazing there )))

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

Hi,

price is one aspect. I was always wondering how some cruises can be offered for more or less the same price as my first cruise in 2009 on MSC.

My experience is: the product has declined. Standard MSC cruise is not the same as 10 years before and YC is not the same as when it started. Price changes are visible. Changes in the product are tangible only if you are actually on a cruise or if you have good infos from others.

If food in YC is not much better than MDR. If servcie is not much better. And if YC areas are going to be crowded, then I try to book MSC standard cruises for 100-120€ per night, book a drink package and some special dining option.

When I hear that ships are capacity limited to 70%, but YC is loaded for 100% (and more) while the "keep distance" rule applies to YC as well, then I would say: a bad move MSC.

Still plan to figure out the facts on my own and booked 2 YC cruises in Sept.🙂

cheers

MouseBerry

Sadly I need to 1000% agree with you. Prices have been sort of stable on "steerage" till 2018 or so, but the product has effectively declined. Don't know about the YC. Their prices has risen up constantly and consistently to an extent that they're clearly overpriced right now. By the price of a regular YC1 you can snag a basic V1-V2 cabin on Viking. And for a little up charge a DV1-DV2 might to be possible on certain sailings. While I don't like to make those comparisons about cruise lines, I'm just opening here an exception because those are 2 very different worlds!... In no way I'd pay MSC what Viking charges, apart of course on a proper Viking like experience. That will likely to be Explora Journeys from MSC, even though prospects are pricing it at Silversea level which is another entirely different world to say the least!...

Sadly to understand this we need to also understand what the direction cruise lines have chosen on the last 15-10 years from now. To summarize:

Costa-Pullmantur (defunct) - 3 star cruising.

RCI (except Oasis class)-Carnival-NCL-MSC - 4 star cruising.

RCI (Oasis class)-Princess-Celebrity - 4.5 star cruising.

Oceania-Viking-Azamara-Seabourn - 5 star cruising.

Happaq-Silversea-Regent - 6 star cruising.

With that in mind one can prospect what the product quality one would have, even out of the so called suite life... Prices that go out of that norm across the board are unacceptable on me. No matter how marvelous that particular service "counter" is or is not.

Surely I'm quite OK with some of the regular MSC's offering. But only if the price follows the actual product delivery.

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 9:41 PM, GOLDENBONNY said:

Wanna know what's expensive ? Celebrity wants 1500.00 $ for third passenger in cabin while first and second 1300 $ lol. I never saw it before and I will not pay this price just because its ridiculous. More I read all this more I think to rent a villa in Aruba and forget about cruising until all this covid bull gone. Every half an hour is different rule or change of rules. 

I just tried a mock booking with celebrity - holy crap. That is insane. 

OOOH....villa in aruba? Sounds awesome. 

• Like 1

Pleased our booking for YIN back in early 2021 for mid 2022 happened. With promos of OBC pp included,  the same booking today is about 30% higher USD. I guess supply and demand? 

12 hours ago, DFWGUYZ said:

Pleased our booking for YIN back in early 2021 for mid 2022 happened. With promos of OBC pp included,  the same booking today is about 30% higher USD. I guess supply and demand? 

Hopefully you are not a big person.  Our kids had a YIN on Seaside and the shower is literally coffin sized.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Hopefully you are not a big person.  Our kids had a YIN on Seaside and the shower is literally coffin sized.  

You don't know how true this is 🙂

I had to have half of my body outside when showering. It was the first YC sailing we did, but now always get balconies.

That being said, I'm in a YIN on the 20th for a 3 day Meraviglia....I'll deal with it for 3 days 🙂

17 hours ago, DFWGUYZ said:

I would temper your expectations…we also booked very early 2021 and got great deals on four cruises.

So far, 2 have been cancelled . One reappeared on schedule 2 weeks later. We had to pay current fare to get that cruise back . MSC would not budge.

Will not make travel plans yet. Waiting to see how it all shakes out.