MSC cruise quality / experience?

Titanfan22

43 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

I'm sorry to correct you.

The premium is included, not Premium Plus

PremiumPlus will no longer be in existence when Karmamule sails in January.   It’s highly likely that the equivalent of the ‘new’ top drinks package, Premium Extra, will be included for YC guests. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

PremiumPlus will no longer be in existence when Karmamule sails in January.   It’s highly likely that the equivalent of the ‘new’ top drinks package, Premium Extra, will be included for YC guests. 

Agreed...no way YC guests don't get top shelf drinks...

14 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Agreed...no way YC guests don't get top shelf drinks...

They don’t quite get ‘top shelf drinks’ currently.  PremiumPlus covers them but is not included for YC guests, you have to upgrade.  The current Premium package is basically what you get.

MSC will not indicate a specific drinks package inclusion for YC bookings but the items covered in the Premium Extra package, which is being introduced later this year,  will probably be what’s on offer.  That will be all drinks up to €13/$15.  

31 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

Why should they upgrade, I would more assume it goes direction easy plus....

It stated on the MSC Canada website (posted on the forum recently) that Aurea will have EasyPlus included which makes it likely that YC will get the PremXtra.   The drinks value will only be slightly higher than is covered now, but I’m sure the prices for drinks will increase so they’ll have to offer YC similar to what’s currently on offer.  

SThe good thing, this time the Nicolas f. Champagne is available at topsail, not only in champagne bar.... strange thing, on other bars outside yc its outside prem. package, 14€ glass..

Edited by MarkusToe

Nicholas F was always available in TSL (and the YC restaurant) when we sailed in YC. The sommelier on Splendida on our 28 night sailing from Dubai to Japan always ensured I had a glass served at dinner each evening.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

They don’t quite get ‘top shelf drinks’ currently.  PremiumPlus covers them but is not included for YC guests, you have to upgrade.  The current Premium package is basically what you get.

MSC will not indicate a specific drinks package inclusion for YC bookings but the items covered in the Premium Extra package, which is being introduced later this year,  will probably be what’s on offer.  That will be all drinks up to €13/$15.  

It depends on what you call top shelf. To me, as an example, Grey Goose is top shelf.

You're correct in that it doesn't include *everything* and there are certainly "higher quality" drinks you'd have to pay for, but I think it's perfectly acceptable to call what the YC gives you top shelf. It certainly isn't well, and I think most people would consider Goose to be top shelf.

• Like 1

Sorry - I was thinking of the higher end drinks that we were able to get with the PremPlus package such as Johnny Walker Blue.  It’s just that some people who wouldn’t be familiar with what’s on offer in TSL might mis-read it as all top shelf items. 

Unfortunately there won’t be a drinks package to cover all drinks by the glass when the new packages are introduced like PremPlus does.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Sorry - I was thinking of the higher end drinks that we were able to get with the PremPlus package such as Johnny Walker Blue.  It’s just that some people who wouldn’t be familiar with what’s on offer in TSL might mis-read it as all top shelf items. 

Unfortunately there won’t be a drinks package to cover all drinks by the glass when the new packages are introduced like PremPlus does.  

So what you are saying is that the MSC drink packages are confusing and it is compounded by being in the YC?

I'm shocked!

🙂

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, alyssamma said:

It depends on what you call top shelf. To me, as an example, Grey Goose is top shelf.

😁   Yes!  My "top shelf" preference may be different than others.  I drink what I enjoy.  I really don't care if someone thinks what I am drinking is "top shelf" or not. 

On 7/27/2021 at 2:59 PM, MarkusToe said:

I'm sorry to correct you.

The premium is included, not Premium Plus

I remember that being true on our past YC sailings but when I talked to the MSC agent and asked to be upgraded she said that we already have the best drinks package possible for our cruise. Of course, phone agents have been known to be wrong before....  >.>

7 minutes ago, karmamule said:

I remember that being true on our past YC sailings but when I talked to the MSC agent and asked to be upgraded she said that we already have the best drinks package possible for our cruise. Of course, phone agents have been known to be wrong before....  >.>

See my comment above about YC confusing an already confusing drink package experience 🙂

Exactly what is and isn't included in your YC experience will vary by ship and day because it also confuses MSC. The bottom line is 99% of what people will want to drink is included, but some people like special high end drinks or specific types of champagne, etc. It's here where things get real confusing.

You can literally be served a drink one day and then told it's not included the next. It's maddening.

I believe there is a drink package above what you get with YC, but for most it isn't worth it. Again, some have very specific tastes and for those it is.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

See my comment above about YC confusing an already confusing drink package experience 🙂

Exactly what is and isn't included in your YC experience will vary by ship and day because it also confuses MSC. The bottom line is 99% of what people will want to drink is included, but some people like special high end drinks or specific types of champagne, etc. It's here where things get real confusing.

You can literally be served a drink one day and then told it's not included the next. It's maddening.

I believe there is a drink package above what you get with YC, but for most it isn't worth it. Again, some have very specific tastes and for those it is.

When I booked the cruise it only mentioned the free "Easy Plus" drinks package, and didn't specifically mention we'd get Premium (or whatever it is called now or will be called in the future) as a part of booking YC. I figured we'd have it, but was calling to upgrade if necessary. Even if she's wrong and there is still a "Premium Plus" or equivalent we'll be fine because we're not particularly choosy when it comes to our liquors so I decided not to argue or bother calling back. 🙂

They certainly are talented at taking something that could be ever so simple and turning it into a kafka-esque journey of complexity. 😄 

13 minutes ago, karmamule said:

When I booked the cruise it only mentioned the free "Easy Plus" drinks package, and didn't specifically mention we'd get Premium (or whatever it is called now or will be called in the future) as a part of booking YC. I figured we'd have it, but was calling to upgrade if necessary. Even if she's wrong and there is still a "Premium Plus" or equivalent we'll be fine because we're not particularly choosy when it comes to our liquors so I decided not to argue or bother calling back. 🙂

They certainly are talented at taking something that could be ever so simple and turning it into a kafka-esque journey of complexity. 😄 

So, if you are in the YC you do *not* want the Easy Plus promo...it is a waste of $. If you are in the YC book the cheapest possible fare/one that gives the most OBC as the YC gives you drinks, WiFi, etc.

What is bad is that MSC allows you to book the Easy Plus + WiFi promo in the YC when it is just making money for them and losing it for the customer.

If you did this, call them ASAP (or your TA) to get it corrected...

• Like 1

We’ve upgraded to Premium Plus when in YC.   It covered the drinks on the YC menu that have prices indicated (not all the drinks in YC are included).

This package level will be discontinued from November.   There’s a good chance that the new highest level package - Premium Extra - will be included for YC as the middle level one, EasyPlus, will be included for Aurea bookings, according to the Canada website 

Hi,

if YC is marketed as a premium/luxuray experience I would expect customers shouldn't constantly think about what is included and what I'm allowed to order/drink because I paid it in advance with my fare.

But YC isn't actually such an experience. It tries, but often fails, to be cost-wise attractive. And from a marketing perspective it makes sense to not put things in the package which drives cost and not all customers want to use it. But if only EasyPlus would be included, I don't see enough differentiation to other expereinces. So my guess is PremExtra will be included in the future. 

For that reason I'm fine with the fact that the drinks available for YC are limited. But I would expect:

- MSC should make it clear and consistent what is included (maybe with regional variations, but not variatons by ship nor by day of the cruise nor by waiter nor by pther criteria)

- MSC should allow to upgrade drink packages for YC in advance, not only while on the ship

I called MSC because I want to upgrade to PremPlus, but this is possible on the ship only. Why? Not customer oriented.

By the way: I read somewhere it is possible to buy a drink packages, and maybe this applies to upgrades as well, not only the first day of the cruise but rather the first 3 days. Is this true?

This would allow me to try some fancy drinks and decide afterwards to buy the upgrade.

Just a side note: If service in YC gets worse and possibility to make excursion, this would made me a "frustation drinker". Which means drink a lot fine drinks🙂 

cheers

MouseBerry

I think you have 24 hours in which to upgrade onboard. 

A possible reason for not being able to upgrade beforehand is that crew miss out on the 15% service charge.  I understand that this logic could apply for purchasing packages ahead of sailing, but logic doesn’t apply where MSC is concerned 🙄

The problem with never really knowing what drinks are included when outside of the enclave is that MSC will not indicate a specific drinks package as a YC inclusion, which creates problems for the crew and staff onboard.  

6 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The problem with never really knowing what drinks are included when outside of the enclave is that MSC will not indicate a specific drinks package as a YC inclusion, which creates problems for the crew and staff onboard.  

My problem on Divina was that it wasn't clear which drinks were included in the Yacht Club. 

33 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

My problem on Divina was that it wasn't clear which drinks were included in the Yacht Club. 

I had a similar issue with Nicholas F on one of our sailings.  Three butlers, including the head butler got involved.   The bartender was new to YC at the time.   I straightened it out later with the sommelier and didn’t have a problem afterwards.  

• Like 1

Hi,

I thought whats included in YC areas is easy to guess. What's on the YC bar menu without price indication is included. Period.

Problem is that you never know the bar menu details until you are on the ship for sure. Now with not using printed menus, but rather use electronic ones, they could change it very dynamically.

cheers

MouseBerry