Key West Back In Play!!!

CruiseHealing

On 5/19/2021 at 10:05 AM, CruiseHealing said:

If the Fl governor signs recently passed Transportation Bill, Key West can’t block large cruise ships.

https://keysweekly.com/42/breaking-news-legislature-says-key-west-cant-limit-cruise-ships/

Thanks for sharing.  We were wondering what was going to happen.  

I love cruising to KW but respected the will of the people there.  We were there in March.  Didn’t look like they needed the cruise lines. It was packed.  
As usual money 💵 talks. 

On 5/21/2021 at 4:43 AM, SUSIEK said:

Thanks for sharing.  We were wondering what was going to happen.  

I love cruising to KW but respected the will of the people there.  We were there in March.  Didn’t look like they needed the cruise lines. It was packed.  
As usual money 💵 talks. 

Will you remain on the ship in respect to "some" of the Key West residents who voted to ban cruise ships?

You can view all of the large cruise ships already scheduled to call on Key West starting July 3.  You can also view later months there as well.

Key West (Florida) cruise port schedule | CruiseMapper

If the Governor doesn't sign the bill, it becomes law anyway effective July 1 (unless he actually signs a veto of the bill...not likely)

3 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Will you remain on the ship in respect to "some" of the Key West residents who voted to ban cruise ships?

Well ...  as we “drive” to KW normally I do not know that that would be an issue as we would go anyhow. 😃

BTW the “some” was 62% of voters.
The ban was for larger ships. I’m not sure what size or capacity would have  been accepted. As this was stated in the initial article that began this post. 

We were there in March.  It was packed all week. No ships in port.  Hotel rates sky high and all full.  

Happy Cruising 😃

image.png.d2859dad590b855d634f87ccb3a4e942.png

Interesting... I did not realize there were actually 3 amendments voted on. 8,186 people potentially had a far reaching outcome for thousands of people.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

On 5/23/2021 at 9:48 PM, Sam.Seattle said:

image.png.d2859dad590b855d634f87ccb3a4e942.png

Interesting... I did not realize there were actually 3 amendments voted on. 8,186 people potentially had a far reaching outcome for thousands of people.

The last time any Presidential candidate got 60+% of the vote was in 1936!  In the world of elections 60% would be considered overwhelming.  And keep in mind that the entire voting age population of KW is a little more then 20,000 souls  A 40% turnout in an off year election is pretty impressive.

But no fear because politicians elsewhere in Florida that could care less about KW or its voters have no problem overturning the will of the people.  

Hank