Diving DIVING DIVING!!!!!!!!!!

bruce68usa

Am not a diver (just snorkel) but DH is a diver and recently dove off Belize...said it was awesome! Check the dive boards for the best info.

His dream is to dive the Great Barrier Reef.

Yes, I have completed dives in Cozumel, Cayman, St. Thomas, Aruba...and many other cruiseship destinations. I have done many through the cruiseships and they were great.

Did you do beginners dives (like me) or are you a real diver :-) ?

Also, when you did the dive in St Thomas, did you go through Coki Beach Dive Club? And was it through the ship?

We will be in St Thomas in June and want to dive. I am trying to decide whether to book directly through Coki Beach Dive Club or go through the ship. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am certified. And on most of the cruiseships, you have to be a certified diver. In St. Thomas, I booked through RCI. However, if you book privately you will be able to find companies that will take non-certified divers for beginner dives.

I took my daughter (13) 2 years ago in Cozumel through a private company and she got to dive right along with me after a brief instruction.

Also, when you book through the ship, you get the peace of mind of not missing your dive. If the ship is late, they will wait. If you arrive late and have booked privately, there is a good chance you will not get to dive and lose your deposit. So I consider, time arriving in port, tenders, and cost and location of dive.

I like my money, It has been twice as good( smaller groups, better equipment, longer stays, where I want to go) and Half the $$$ ... $45 vs $99 or $75 vs 149$ in most places....Look up on your certification site for affiliated dive ops and then book directly thru them.:cool:

..The weak Nellies :o who worry about the ship leaving them behind forget, these guys make their money on the cruise customers, they move heaven and hell getting people back on time and in plenty of time to get back on the boat, if one person is left behind:eek: , that person will post it on every board in the world....and thats the last of the business they will see.I have been turned down buy dive ops, if they thought it was even "close"

ANY One dive?:) :) :) :)

Yep. I do. Did you want a list of where I've dived?

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

Curacao

Aruba

All three Cayman Islands

Cozumel

Hawaii

Oregon

California

Washington

British Columbia

I'll be going back to BC this weekend for some great diving. BC has some of the worlds best diving, IMO.

Home, sweet home FLORIDA

-Springs in the middle

-East Coast - Jupiter down through Key West

-West Coast - Port Richey down through Venice

Barbados

Berry Islands, Bahamas (CocoCay, RCCL private island)

Nassau, Bahamas

Belize (3x so far)

Cozumel (3x so far)

Dominica

Grand Cayman

St. Kitts

St. Thomas

Empress coming up in March:

Barbados (again)

St. Kitts (again)

St. Lucia

Curacao

Aruba

Now, you're in the right place to find divers! If you want info, just search this board. Usually, several of us have been there before & can point you in the right direction.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

I'm back just this week from 2 weeks on the Sea Princess. I got dives in at St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and Bonaire.

My other dives, not counting local dives, include Rangiroa, Bora Bora, Moorea, Oahu and Maui. I also enjoy underwater photography.

I did one two-tank dive through a ship and vowed never to do that again. I arrange all of my own dives and take all of my own gear. I've never even been close to being late for a ship departure.

I did my first ocean dive with them last year and they were great. If we were heading back this year I would book again. They met me at the dock, no taxis there but did have to pay$3 for a taxi back. I had one -on-one with the dive master and on the second dive it was two to one. A great experience.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Bruce there are divers out there. Some with a great deal of experience.

dms cruiser, I like AAA on Bolongo Bay in St. Thomas. Good dive instructors and staff geared toward new divers as well as bang for your buck. Lets not forget plenty of good diving. Grand Turk has a great wall dive (since you're kicking it up a notch), try any dive operator and stay within your experience.

Flilady and billeelou, IMO whether or not you are comfortable with booking dive excursions onboard that is fine. There are pro's and con's to booking independantly, mostly it's a matter of experience. Experience brings knowledge and once you know, you'll know where to go. My rule of thumb is: if it's your first time at that port diving, go with the ship excursion. One more thing, billeelou, one of the better dives in the carribean is an excursion in Roatan. If you are an adrenalin junkie and like heart pounding adventure try a shark dive; no cage!

cmdchiefthom, the CD that trained me has a Padi 5000 number and he was diving since the beginning of scuba, I can only guess that you started diving when God invented water (LOL). My Padi instructor number is 6 digits long so I wont embarass myself by saying what it is, at least not now. I did want to ask if you know of any diving operator in Guatemala, Santo Tomas de Castilla or anyone I can get info from. Google's not doing it. I have a posting inquiring about Guatemala and Mahahual (see scuba and snorkle). Info on Mahahual is'nt needed. I'm in contact with Dreamtime. Chinchorro seems like a no go unless another operator has room for 1 pax. March 25, is cruise #42:) Thanks...Paul

I am going on my first cruise. I will be diving in St Thomas. I am a new diver with only 5 dives under my belt. I have been certified for 6 yrs though. I took a refresher course since its been a while. I booked the Coki Beach dive. Partly because my sister is going to dive with me. She is not certified, but is going to do the "discover scuba" course. I booked it myself after hearing good reviews on this forum. I had some questions and sent an email to them. Within a few hours, I had my questions answered and booked our excursion. Apparently, there is a reef right off the beach with easy access. If you are not certified and are taking the discover course, then your limitation is 40 ft. You will have an instructor with you. So for me that works out, I get to be with my sister while she is doing her first dive, I get to dive, and we will have a guide to show us around. She of course will have an instructor. I thought the price was very reasonable. $60 for non certified, and $40 for certified divers and this includes all rental equipment, instruction, and a guide. If the certified diver wants a 2nd dive then it is an extra $20. They are also going to pick us up at the gangway!! Hope this helps out. Good Luck. I will be in St Thomas on March 26th. I cant remember the website, but do a google search for coki beach dive club. They will have contact info etc for all your questions.

Infopaul,

Since God invented water?? LOL No I don't think so. Yes its been a long time, back when there were only 5 TV channels in Chicago, and one of them had the show Sea Hunt, and another a program called Malibu Run. I was simply facinated by the underwater world. But it was Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in 1954 that first got me interested. I was fortunate that a YMCA course was first offered at a Chicago Park District pool in my neighborhood, and if I could pay the price, my high school would give me a physical education credit if I completed it. That was a no brainer. We used converted CO2 tanks, Mistral regulators, no pressure gauges, a lace up canvass tank sack, Voit Viking fins, round mask, and that was about it. My original certification date was 2 May, 1962.

Like a lot of guys my age, Viet Nam meant the draft, and I went in the military in 1966. Back then, divers were at a premium, and I ended up in Crete Greece in 1969 doing Explosive Ordinance Disposal with the Greek Navy, while stationed with Air Force Security Services. I was certified by PADI as an Instructor, in 1971. At That time, I recall there only 3 or 4 of us in Europe. The rest, as they say, is history.

I've had my experiences, diving all over the world, owning a dive shop, in of all places, Albuquerque, New Mexico, diving with the rich and famous, writing articles in the U.S. Navy Journal of Diving, and the PADI Journal. In fact, in 2001, PADI actually sent me a great crystal plaque honoring me for 30 years membership.

You know what, I still get the same thrill today as I did the first time I hit the water in Lake Michigan almost 44 years ago, everytime I dive. The only difference now is I get to pick the time and place of where and when I dive. Believe me, that makes it a whole lot more fun than a job!:eek:

As for your question about Guatemala, no I really don't, but this is one of the best places to look along with http://www.scubaboard.com

wow, its a small world cmdchfthom. I was born in Albuquerque. I was raised in Anthony Nm between El Paso, Tx and Las Cruces Nm. I also joined the Navy. I was in for 7 1/2 yrs, Except I was an Air traffic controller. I still am, but not in the Navy. I work for the FAA of all places in Michigan...lol I moved here from California. Prior to that I had never stepped foot in this state.

Dgonza

I used to hunt deer down in Lincoln. Did you ever dive the Bottomless lakes in Roswell, or the Springs in Santa Rosa??? How about Baha Kino in Mexico on the Sea of Cortez? We'd also go out on the Sand Dollar and Bottom Scratcher our of San Diego. Brings back old memories.:)

Nope, I have never went diving in NM. I left for the Navy as soon as I graduated, and never went back except to visit family. I got scuba certified in Ventura, Ca in 1999..lol I have only been diving in the pool, and at the Channel islands in California. I am looking forward to going on my cruise. I plan on diving Coki Beach in St Thomas, and in Grenada. OK, now I am going to show my age. "1962"....my mom was almost 3yrs old....lol I will be 30 in 2 weeks.

Bruce-R

Well seasoned?? Sounds like I'm a steak. lol. I guess so, I've just been around for a long time and choose to continue diving, now for pleasure rather than business. I can't imagine not being able to dive, but I guess there will come a time, I just hope its in the distant future.

Dgonza, Coki Beach is a decent dive. Are you diving with Aquanauts in Grenada? They're a good outfit. You mentioned the Channel Islands, the Bottom Scratcher and San Dollar did the two night trips out to San Clemente from San Diego. The boats were 65'ers, more like floating dormitories. I'd bring a dozen or so divers from Albuquerque, and we'd do probably four dives, including a night dive each day. It was pretty intense diving trying to maximize our diving time while staying within the dive tables. This was before the era of accurate dive computers. The diving out there was simply fantastic. Abalone in the shallows, seals, sharks and the obligatory Garabaldi's. We'd also do the canyon dive directly behind Scripps Institute in La Jolla. Great diving. I haven't been diving in California is years, makes me want to go back.

Anyway, the wife and I will be hitting the water in Samana, DR, diving the RMS Rhone again in Tortola, and probably diving St. John in four weeks, so at least I'll have some warm clear water to look forward to.

You folks enjoy, and keep on diving.

I havent committed to a dive shop in Grenada yet. So you recommend aquanauts? I did fire off an email to "divegrenada" Anyone ever dive with them? I will have to take a look at aquanauts. I am doing the coki beach dive partly because my sis is not certified and she is going to do the resort diving. I wanted to be able to dive with her. Plus I figure, I am not a very experienced diver myself. I did all my dives to get certified, and never went again. That was 6 yrs ago. I did a refresher course. I didnt realize how much I had forgot. Well, after reading on the forum about using your own gear and what not. I broke down and bought an Oceanic ocean pro BCD with an Alpha 8 Sort Regulator and slimline Octopus, and Swiv Navcon 3 Gauge console. I bought it brand new off of ebay for $610. I made sure it was a credible seller. What are your thoughts on this setup? I got an email from her that I can replace the depth gauge with a Veo100 dive computer for $140. I dont think I am going to do that right now though.

Archived