Diving DIVING DIVING!!!!!!!!!!

bruce68usa

I'm so sorry that your gear experience has turned out badly so far. Buying gear can be a real pain in the neck.

I have to grudgingly agree with your LDS in not letting you use their pool to check out gear you didn't buy from them, but that does not excuse them for being rude about it. He not only lost the initial gear sale, but now has lost any future business of yours, and anyone you talk to.

Both of us bought new BC's a little over a year ago.

Keith had to have a Oceanic Probe XXL that our LDS couldn't get. We then tried to buy the BC from another LDS that did handle Oceanic, but they wouldn't come off the list price of $599. I even called them a second time from the parking lot of a discounter in Orlando to offer $450, but they were determined to get $599. So they got nothing, and the discount outfit got $350.

Then a couple of months later, it was my turn. I walked into my LDS and bought the nicest BC they had in my size for $400 (Dacor Talon). Could I have bought it online for less $? Definitely. Was it worth it? Every penny.

I hope your gear experiences get better.

Have a great time on your trip!

Wendy

:D I have had a blast reading all the posts in this thread tonight!

I was looking for a thread with divers who cruise so that I could ask a couple questions. I laughed out loud several times reading the great stories by cmdchiefthom (I can relate to the part about your cat, but not because of open heart surgery!). ;)

I am leaving Saturday for a cruise with diving oportunities in Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya (Mahahual). I have booked dive trips through Carnival in Belize and Roatan.

I wanted to know if anyone feels the water temps will be comfortable enough to dive in just a swimsuit. My 3mm shortie seems to have "shrunk" since I last wore it a year and a half ago (I'm sure it wasn't the undisciplined eating...) It's only March, so should I think about "winter" temps listed on websites? Also, I really don't know what "high 70's" really feels like. I guess I could go run water over a thermometer till it hits 77, fill a pitcher and hold my hand in it for a while...

I have time to shop for a wetsuit, but I'm a big girl, and finding one that fits has been hard... :(

desertcreature, having read the posts i'm sure you can get a feeling for which dive ops will fit your bill. As for water temp, I have to tell you I get cold diving even in warm water. With water temps from mid 70's to low 80's and depending on how deep and where thermoclines lie, multiple dives, etc. I get cold. You will experience the same conditions in the places you visit. I use a 5mm full suit, but what is good for me might not be good for you.

I suggest you might pick a suit up locally or at your first dive op. shop rather than do the bathing suit/ t-shirt thing. Since you're coming from a warm climate, I can only assume you have "cold issues". Many of the divers at the places you're going wear a 3mm shortie. You might however want a 3mm full. Since I get the feeling you dove a little bit, it would be a good idea for a full suit because of fire coral, scratches, swim thrus, etc, etc. you'll appreciate the added protection...Paul :)

Desertcreature-

As a large lady myself, I've been much happier since I went to a mens 2mm jumpsuit. Just enough warm, and a lot easier to get in and out of.

Unfortunately, my XL suit seems to have shrunk as well, so I usually wear hubby's XXL.

Wendy

Desertcreature

If you can get a shorty on short notice (no pun intended), I'd do it, simply because you're already concerned about being cold. I'm at a point in my diving career that I don't need, or want to be macho, just comfortable. I know wearing either a shorty, or even a 3mm full suit, I will not get hot while in the water, and for sure, I won't freeze. So for my wife and I, its a no brainer.

Having said that, if you're not able to score a suit to take today, you might be able to rent on for the dive operators at each of your ports, with the probable exception of Belize. Its been my experience there that the dive boat usually leaves directly from the cruise ship, not the dock in town, so there probably wouldn't be a chance to rent a suit there, but you could ask Shorex onboard to communicate with the dive operator a day or two ahead of time and ask them to put one aboard for you.;)

No matter what, you will enjoy the diving.:D

I am leaving Saturday for a cruise with diving oportunities in Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya (Mahahual). I have booked dive trips through Carnival in Belize and Roatan.

I wanted to know if anyone feels the water temps will be comfortable enough to dive in just a swimsuit. My 3mm shortie seems to have "shrunk" since I last wore it a year and a half ago (I'm sure it wasn't the undisciplined eating...) It's only March, so should I think about "winter" temps listed on websites? Also, I really don't know what "high 70's" really feels like. I guess I could go run water over a thermometer till it hits 77, fill a pitcher and hold my hand in it for a while...

I have time to shop for a wetsuit, but I'm a big girl, and finding one that fits has been hard... :(

Hi,

I agree with everyone else. Even though I live in the NE where the average temperature this time of year is around 30, I like to wear a thin wetsuit even in upper 70 degrees. I did a trip to Belize in October were the temp of the water was around 80 degrees. I wore my Henderson 3/2 full wetsuit and it felt great. I could have gone in just a bathing suit (I jumped overboard in my bathing suit to test some camera settings before I went diving and I appreciated the wetsuit I put on afterwards :) ).

Randall

P.S. I agree with w&k, don't just limit yourself to women's wet suits. In the 1-3mm range most of them are becoming more unisex due to the stretchiness of the newer neoprenes and fabrics.

Thanks for your replys - I found a men's full halfmil suit that I think will be just find. sleeves and legs a bit long, but it's snug everywhere that matters.:D

I will post anything that may help others when I return - am on the way out the door right now!!!!:eek:

happy sailing everyone!

Hey guys, what is your opinion on traveling with my bc and 1st and 2nd stage. Should I pack it in my suitcase, or carry it on the plane with me? I thought I read somewhere that it is not wise to have the console in your suitcase due to pressurization in the cargo bay. Just wanted to know your suggestions. I leave Saturday morning. As usual thanks for your help.

Dgonza,

Have a good vacation. I put everything in the suitcase and never had any problems with my computer in the off position or otherwise. There shouldn't be any problems if you want to carry it on the plane, as a matter of preference...Paul:)

count down: a day and a wakeup

Archived