First Tradewind Voyages Cruise

The Yorkshire Cruiser

A brand new cruise company is launching in July: Tradewind Voyages with their 330-capacity ship Golden Horizon.

Her first sailing departs Harwich on 1 July and the first port of call will be my hometown of Whitby on the 3rd. I'm interested to see if anyone posters here are booked on this sailing.

• Like 1

She was built for Star Clippers and was to be called the Flying Clipper. But a dispute between the cruise line and the shipyard led to her being leased instead to her present operators Tradewind Voyages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 4:32 PM, Alan2504 said:

Giving her a try out in July, up the west coast, it's not going to be exactly tropical, but had to give it a go 🙄

Which cruise is that?  Two of us from the P&O boards have booked the four night Greenock to Liverpool.  DH and I were part considering the next cruise to Harwich of 10 nights around the south coast, but decided a shorter try would be better as well as a lot cheaper, since we have not been on that sort of ship previously.  Also lots of ports on that cruise so would be very disappointed to only be allowed off the ship on excursions, as well as having another pretty big expense.

3 hours ago, tring said:

Which cruise is that?  Two of us from the P&O boards have booked the four night Greenock to Liverpool.  DH and I were part considering the next cruise to Harwich of 10 nights around the south coast, but decided a shorter try would be better as well as a lot cheaper, since we have not been on that sort of ship previously.  Also lots of ports on that cruise so would be very disappointed to only be allowed off the ship on excursions, as well as having another pretty big expense.

The West Coast Gems, I think the one prior to the Greenock to Liverpool cruise, hence my comment on the likely weather 🙄

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 5:03 PM, Alan2504 said:

The West Coast Gems, I think the one prior to the Greenock to Liverpool cruise, hence my comment on the likely weather 🙄

Hope you enjoy it.  Please look after the ship as we will be embarking just after you have disembarked 🙂

Should be a very scenic journey for you though and you have the advantage of returning to the same port.  Train travel seems to be more difficult to arrange at a decent price at present. It will be something very different for us as we have not been on a sailing ship before.  There seems to be quite a number of vacant cabins on our cruise, so just hoping all goes well and the cruise goes ahead.  I am not sure how well the ship has been advertised, as I would have thought a number of people would have been interested in a sailing ship if they knew about it.  It is something very different to do in a year when travel will be difficult.

Edited by tring

I have booked the inaugural cruise fromHarwich to Edinburgh. Hopefully have a nice port stop in Whitby. For me, it was the opportunity to sail on a Tall Ship rather than what I normally would book that is destination focused. I hope its a great trip and a few people onboard as there is an array of options for UK passengers around the UK this summer.

• Like 2

Will be good to hear some reports for those who are booked on the earlier cruises.  We are not on until 21 -25th July but I will report somewhere.  I suspect their will be press reviews as I would think there are a number of people from the trade will be on the earlier sailings, so I will be searching for them.

Any comments or advice from those who have previously sailed on this type of ship would be very welcome.  I remember seeing posts in the past, but not sure where they were and cannot find any cruise reviews either, though not really sure where to look.  I do remember a comment about Star Clippers that the ships do heel, so I have some visions of having to walk on decks at an angle, but not sure quite how much of a slope to expect and for what period of time it will be like that.

All a good and very different experience for a year when travel will still be limited.  I hope others booked on Golden Horizon enjoy their cruises and that all goes well for all of us.  Not long to wait now.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

Anyone on the earlier UK cruises got their tickets or any other details of their cruise yet?  We are not booked until 21st July and our agent said they had been told by Tradewind that our passenger information form would be sent to them this week and they would send it straight on to us.  Not had it yet though and our agent is closed at weekends.

Also wondering if the ship will be allowed to disembark pax in Leith on 6t July as planned, since the Scottish Government do not seem to have given approval for cruise ships to dock in Scotland yet, especially if wanting to do a turn around.

33 minutes ago, tring said:

Anyone on the earlier UK cruises got their tickets or any other details of their cruise yet?  We are not booked until 21st July and our agent said they had been told by Tradewind that our passenger information form would be sent to them this week and they would send it straight on to us.  Not had it yet though and our agent is closed at weekends.

Also wondering if the ship will be allowed to disembark pax in Leith on 6t July as planned, since the Scottish Government do not seem to have given approval for cruise ships to dock in Scotland yet, especially if wanting to do a turn around.

We have had the passenger information forms this week for 1st July. I am going to complete them tomorrow as was waiting for my son’s girlfriend’s insurance details. I assume when they are uploaded then tickets/final details will be forthcoming. I live in Scotland and haven’t heard anything about restricting cruise ships that are UK only. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tmacktravels said:

We have had the passenger information forms this week for 1st July. I am going to complete them tomorrow as was waiting for my son’s girlfriend’s insurance details. I assume when they are uploaded then tickets/final details will be forthcoming. I live in Scotland and haven’t heard anything about restricting cruise ships that are UK only. 

14 minutes ago, tmacktravels said:

Thanks for the reply.  Hopefully all will go as planned then.

I had seen posts elsewhere that Noble Caledonia have been cancelling cruise calls in Scotland for June and that MSC have said there will not even be any excursions available from Greenock on an early June cruise. All a waiting game though.  Keeping our fingers crossed as we are very much looking forward to embarking a sailing ship.