More Cancellations

tring

World cruise on Borealis for early 2022 has been cancelled, unsurprisingly.  Apparently a round trip to the Caribbean scheduled for the first 34 nights, but being offered to those booked on the world cruise before it goes on to general sale.  Sounds like another word cruise has been scheduled for 2024 as well, but I am not sure if it is the same itinerary as the cancelled one or not.  Bolette still scheduled to do around South America early next year, so that is also likely to go at some time IMO.  At least Fred is being up front with cancelling early, but I wonder what will happen for other cruise line's worldies and similar, as I doubt that sort of cruise will go ahead early next year.  Will be interesting to see what other cruises are scheduled as replacements and if some slots are left blank for a while to see how cruising progresses this year.  Even the autumn cruising schedules must be considered somewhat uncertain at present, though hopefully some international cruising will be able to go ahead by then, even if itineraries change.

I deliberately headed this thread more cancellations (rather than using the singular) as I thought it could be useful having a thread to track cancellations of whole cruises and big changes to parts of itineraries, rather than various threads which then disappear off the page as time goes on.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting, thanks Barbara. I agree that it seems a sensible move. I'm quite glad that there wasn't an equivalent 2022 sector for the one I had cancelled with P&O this year. It is still a long way off but I agree that there is a reasonable to good chance that next year's worldies may not go.

Maybe Fred is cancelling now so that he can introduce replacement itineraries fairly early and be able to sell them at a higher price. When very late replacements are arranged, they normally have to be sold at relatively low prices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

Very interesting, thanks Barbara. I agree that it seems a sensible move. I'm quite glad that there wasn't an equivalent 2022 sector for the one I had cancelled with P&O this year. It is still a long way off but I agree that there is a reasonable to good chance that next year's worldies may not go.

Maybe Fred is cancelling now so that he can introduce replacement itineraries fairly early and be able to sell them at a higher price. When very late replacements are arranged, they normally have to be sold at relatively low prices.

I agree Andrew a good move by Fred as well as better for the passengers, though suspect any move from P&O will take a good while longer.  Just talking to Allan tonight though, and remembered that Fred asks for another interim payment six months before those longer cruises, so that would have been due soon and people would not be happy to have pay another chunk of cash, I think 30% in total (2 X 15%) towards that cruise.

Molecrochip has made some interesting comments on a P&O thread, titled  "Telephone call from P&O" earlier today, so you may wish to take a look.

Barbara

• Thanks 1

I think Fred is handling all these changes, etc. far better than some other cruise lines.  They really care for their passengers.  And they are definitely my favorite cruise line.

On the other hand Hurtigruten has still not given any information about their around U.K. cruises out of Dover which are suppose to start July 4th and stop in several ports in England, Wales, and Scotland and include bookings from non-U.K. residents (I am one of them).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, comcox said:

I think Fred is handling all these changes, etc. far better than some other cruise lines.  They really care for their passengers.  And they are definitely my favorite cruise line.

On the other hand Hurtigruten has still not given any information about their around U.K. cruises out of Dover which are suppose to start July 4th and stop in several ports in England, Wales, and Scotland and include bookings from non-U.K. residents (I am one of them).

The Hurtigruten  cruises may go ahead, but I thought those short summer cruises were always only available to UK residents.  Strange.

5 hours ago, tring said:

The Hurtigruten  cruises may go ahead, but I thought those short summer cruises were always only available to UK residents.  Strange.

My cruise is 15 days starting 27 August, but they have the same itinerary scheduled to sail 4 July as well.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 2:20 PM, LandC said:

I understand that Fred has just cancelled next year’s South America cruise on Bolette.

I expected South America to go, though he also now seems to have cancelled a number of cruises on Balmoral which were scheduled for early 2023 (they were likely only put on sale  in early March with the other winter 2022/23 cruises).  That has been done because a replacement South American cruise is now scheduled on Balmoral for early 2023, but not on public sale yet (slightly different itinerary and includes a short scenic sailing into Antartica).  Heaven knows what he has in mind for Bollette early 2023 because she was not scheduled to do any cruises after the end of 2022, yet cruises were scheduled for the other ships on that main cruise release in early March.

So basically Fred is still canceling certain cruises (and a lot of them), but just telling the people who had been booked on them rather than coming clean and making a public statement like other cruise companies have been doing.  Seems to be annoying a good number of people by doing it this way as well.   It is understandable that he has not put the long replacement cruises on public sale yet as he is apparently allowing those who were on the cancelled cruises have the first chance to book the new ones.

I like the idea that folks already booked are getting first go on booking rescheduled cruises,, but I agree that it would be nice if everyone got informed right away of cancellations.  This is especially so for those of us who come from "away" and have to make other travel arrangements such as flights.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, comcox said:

I like the idea that folks already booked are getting first go on booking rescheduled cruises,, but I agree that it would be nice if everyone got informed right away of cancellations.  This is especially so for those of us who come from "away" and have to make other travel arrangements such as flights.

Looks like people have been contacted today about cancellations of Balmoral cruises for the autumn.  Looking at his website it now appears that the Balmoral cruises commence with a cruise on 6th December from Southampton.

Borealis still has her cruises scheduled from 5th July and Bolette from 16th August as has been the case for some time now.  Certainly looks like Fred does not want to start Balmoral for a while, which is hardly surprising considering he has a lot of cabins to fill on the two "new girls" even with reduced capacity, considering they are twice the size of the ships they replaced.  The bigger cruise lines, with a lot more ships, are only starting off with a couple of ships from what I can see and I suspect they will not start all of their other ships in September or October either.  Once Fred has those two ships staffed and up and running he will want to keep them sailing rather than start another one.  Given the prices he is asking for most cruises at present, I doubt there is a lot of people interested in booking them in the current climate and with covid restrictions likely to be in place. 

• Like 1

At least my November cruise is scheduled for Bolette, although given it's to several countries in Med not certain what will happen with it.  And, luckily, my Balmoral booking is not til next July.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tring said:

Looks like people have been contacted today about cancellations of Balmoral cruises for the autumn.  Looking at his website it now appears that the Balmoral cruises commence with a cruise on 6th December from Southampton.

Borealis still has her cruises scheduled from 5th July and Bolette from 16th August as has been the case for some time now.  Certainly looks like Fred does not want to start Balmoral for a while, which is hardly surprising considering he has a lot of cabins to fill on the two "new girls" even with reduced capacity, considering they are twice the size of the ships they replaced.  The bigger cruise lines, with a lot more ships, are only starting off with a couple of ships from what I can see and I suspect they will not start all of their other ships in September or October either.  Once Fred has those two ships staffed and up and running he will want to keep them sailing rather than start another one.  Given the prices he is asking for most cruises at present, I doubt there is a lot of people interested in booking them in the current climate and with covid restrictions likely to be in place. 

Indeed Barbara. I really would have considered a 'staycation' cruise with Fred - but not at the solo price of £800 for three nights occupying an inside cabin!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Indeed Barbara. I really would have considered a 'staycation' cruise with Fred - but not at the solo price of £800 for three nights occupying an inside cabin!

That really is taking the proverbial, especially as he cannot fill all cabins because of the lower numbers of cabins which can be booked on those cruises.  I am sure Fred will have a lot of trouble finding enough passengers for the two ships he has committed to getting up and running.  I do feel it is likely restrictions on going ashore independently in the autumn will persist for foriegn ports and if there needs to be much in the way of itinerary changes (as I feel likely) passengers will have a very clear cut right to ask for a refund rather than re book.

We have booked one Fred to the Canaries mid Dec, but that is not priced as high, presumably because few people want to go away just before Christmas.  So with FCC extra discount and Oceans we went for an inside which is OK.  We have been tempted by something very different for July though.  We are booked on Golden Horizon, run by Tradewind Voyages and it is a sailing ship - a real tall ship, albeit with an engine to use if needed.  Not cheap, but not stupid prices for what it is either, if you go for the cruises they have offers on at present.  Really good, small, ports because the ship is smaller than Fred's previous ones were.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tring said:

Yes our cruise on Balmoral on 17th November has gone.  Now we will have to decide what to do next. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 11:48 AM, Britboys said:

You may know already, but Fred seems to have offered no single supplement or free drinks/tips on his first few welcome back cruises, until next Tuesday.  Still not cheap, but thought you may wish to know and other offers may follow if not enough takers for this one. 

Must admit I think the P&O habit of of giving the best prices to early bookers seems much fairer to me.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tring said:

You may know already, but Fred seems to have offered no single supplement or free drinks/tips on his first few welcome back cruises, until next Tuesday.  Still not cheap, but thought you may wish to know and other offers may follow if not enough takers for this one. 

Must admit I think the P&O habit of of giving the best prices to early bookers seems much fairer to me.

I know when I've booked FO early, it seems that additional offers such as OBC get added 3-7 days later; it's like clock work.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tring said:

Yes, thanks Barbara but as you say, still far from cheap. I've actually seen deals where they are offering inclusive drinks and tips - but only to two sharing. All solos get are the no single supplement but not inclusive drinks and tips!

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Yes, thanks Barbara but as you say, still far from cheap. I've actually seen deals where they are offering inclusive drinks and tips - but only to two sharing. All solos get are the no single supplement but not inclusive drinks and tips!

We did have a brief look last night at a 5 night one advertised from £699pp on Borealis.  Considering the normal price for the drinks package on a longer cruise (and the maximum we would consider it actually worth), is £19pppn with tips makes that £24pppn.  The original offer, which is still available as an alternative is £100pp OBS, so the new offer in our view is only worth an extra £4pppn.  Hence not enticing, especially considering he only had two cabins at that price which are the two insides at the very front of deck 2 and adjacent to a large area of white space and probably the thrusters!  He does have some mid ship, deck two insides, but at £799 for the five nights.  Outsides are a fair bit more again and as he does not appear to be selling deck one at present, the cheapest are under the prom deck - not our location as we like a lie in when others prefer a run or brisk walk! 

I was looking into the deck 3 cabins a couple of weeks back (with help of reviews, deck plans etc.)  It appears ones that had not been converted to the Lanai cabins, are either under the kitchens, in other noisy areas, or are at the very front/back of the ship.  Now I know why those Lanai cabins are sprinkled here and there along that deck rather than being in one stretch!  Coupled with the extra size of the ship, (making it inaccessible to a number of previous ports), I cannot say we are at all impressed with the ship.  We would go for Azamara first.

We may keep an eye out for the odd good price and cannot complain about our December Canaries, given the extra 10% discount with our FCC as well as Oceans discount, but that really is pretty much a one off, unless there are any good late offers which I feel he will likely have to do, and which had always occurred on some cruises previously.  Would have to be really good itineraries though and with the ability to roam off the ship on our own - so some time off I'd say.

1 hour ago, Coravel said:

We've also booked on that Canaries cruise and have the same discounts which make it very attractive - if it sails of course!

Yes very good value.  I have started a roll call for it but am all on my own so far, so why not join me?  I am hoping by then it will go ahead, though I am not optimistic about being allowed off the ship without a shore tour.  We are thinking we would go along with just tours for that one as we would at least get some warmth, but would hope for something other than just coach tours.  It appears that is mainly what MSC are getting at present and they even have to stay on the coach at photo stops.  It seems there is one excursion which involves a boat ride when the passengers have to stay in an allocated part of the boat, separated from non-cruise passengers. 

I see MSC Virtuosa is embarking 300 passengers in Liverpool on Tuesday (more have already embarked in Southampton) and there is a notice on the cruise terminal's website instructing those passengers to turn up at the Arena (which is the far side of The Albert Dock) for check in, testing etc. and saying they will be transferred to the cruise terminal by bus to board the ship.  If you click through to "Passenger Information" from there, it says, "In 2021, all embarkation and disembarkation operations will take place from Arena & Convention Centre Liverpool (ACC Liverpool)....."       So looks like it will be the same for our cruise. I do not think you are local, so thought this may be of use to you if you are looking at a hotel pre-cruise. 

Edited by tring

Many apologies, we are sailing on the Bolette from Southampton on November 20th for 12 nights.  That cruise is called "Discovering the Canaries".  We have never sailed from Liverpool but might have to consider it in future as the cruise terminal seems destined to become more popular with Olsen ships.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coravel said:

Many apologies, we are sailing on the Bolette from Southampton on November 20th for 12 nights.  That cruise is called "Discovering the Canaries".  We have never sailed from Liverpool but might have to consider it in future as the cruise terminal seems destined to become more popular with Olsen ships.  

We do have a new, bigger, cruise terminal planned and at least exploratory work of the bedrock has been done, but the construction keeps getting put back, so I have never been expecting it anytime soon.  I think the latest plans may be for 2023, but I will wait until I see it.  We live over on The Wirral, about a 20 mins taxi ride to the terminal or about an hour's bus ride into the city.  Fred often does cruises going west from here as nearer of course.

Good luck with your cruise,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Not cancellations as such, but seems Fred has cancelled off his Scottish itineraries for the summer and replaced with others, understandably.  One in July is now going to the Scilly Isles and South Coast, others will become clear in time.

He has also said that for all cruises this year, passengers will have to be fully vaccinated (we have got that email regards our December cruise and it also gave a link to this page with more information:-  https://www.fredolsencruises.com/health?dm_i=8ID,7EOUD,16P00A,U31BB,1

There is also an option at the bottom of the page in the link to "click here".  That, in turn, takes you through to his FAQ's page (not edited re vaccines as yet). 

Note on that FAQ page it also mentions a change in pre cruise information for Liverpool embarkations.  Passengers are now to go to the Exhibition centre attached to the Arena complex (ACC) for a covid test, paperwork check and baggage drop off.  After that passengers will be bused to the cruise terminal, where the actual check in takes place apparently.  The Liverpool cruise terminal website says that arrangement will apply to all cruises for this year. 

Liverpool cruise terminal site (passenger info.  :-   https://www.cruise-liverpool.com/information-for-passengers/

ACC LIverpool:-  https://www.accliverpool.com/visiting-us/travelling-here

The ACC is right by the official car park and we went over to Liverpool to do a recce a couple of days ago when MSC were checking in (we are due on MSC in a couple of weeks), so I may be able to answer any questions re Liverpool check ins as it stands at present, though I assume there is always the possibility of a change to procedures, so you will need to check Fred's info.  for your cruise.

Edited by tring

Just checked Fred's website - looks like only the 12th July cruise (which I had mentioned) has been diverted away from Scotland and the remaining ones are the same (the first two are scenic cruising only).  Depends on Nichola what happens for cruises after that I assume.

Edited by tring