Looking for recomendations for Hotel 1 night pre cruise in Sept.

sweetbasil57

What do you consider "moderately priced"? That definition may not match with reality. 

There are many threads here on hotels. Most end up staying in the Waikiki area. It is the center of life, and well worth staying there. I highly recommend it.

We’ve stayed at the Luana Waikiki which is showing rates of approx $179 per nt. Great location overlooking Fort DeRussy park. It’s a moderate hotel. Have also stayed at Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki on Kuhio Ave and their rates are approx $209 per nt. Loved the rooms here..totally renovated. Hope this helps..

On 5/21/2021 at 4:10 PM, sweetbasil57 said:

moderately priced for Sept. any recommendations?

Theres very little in Hawaii overall and Oahu specifically thats moderately priced, at least by mainland US standards. Most that fall into that category, and aren't total dives, will be independent hotels priced from around $170-$250 a night.

Its often well worth it, especially for 1 night, to splurge an extra hundred dollars, into the $350 range, to get into something thats well located and quite nice right on Waikiki beach. Especially with the travel surge thats happening, and will continue to happen for a year or more, there will be very little thats priced low thats worth staying in.

On 5/21/2021 at 2:10 PM, sweetbasil57 said:

We are looking for a Hotel 1 night pre cruise, moderately priced for Sept. any recommendations? Have looked on all the Hotel sites, still confused.. Thanks

Our family just came back from our 1 week vacation, we stayed at Aqua Oasis hotel, small but very clean, free breakfast ,very nice,friendly staffs, only minutes to the mall,stores,restaurants.

Edited by Moon Orchid

11 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Moon Orchid;  did you have rental car; or did you take uber everywhere?  Thanks

We did rent a mini van for the week to go to other ends of the island. However, the hotel valet parking was kind of expensive ($40), so we used the small parking lot around the corner for $25 a day. The hotel is also within walking distance of a lot of restaurants and 5-10 minutes to the beach so we also walked when we got the chance. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't recall seeing too many ubers/ lyfts either. I would still stay at this hotel / the area again if we go to Honolulu!

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Moon Orchid; thanks for the feedback. Did you have any issues with your covid test prior to flying to HNL?

No, the process was really smooth. Our entire family got the free Covid test at Walgreens and received results within 30 minutes. Prior to flying we completed the Safe Travels questionnaire and when we arrived at the airport and hotel they asked us to pull up the email with the QR code, which is sent after uploading negative results. Just a heads up they won't accept screenshots

12 hours ago, Moon Orchid said:

No, the process was really smooth. Our entire family got the free Covid test at Walgreens and received results within 30 minutes. Prior to flying we completed the Safe Travels questionnaire and when we arrived at the airport and hotel they asked us to pull up the email with the QR code, which is sent after uploading negative results. Just a heads up they won't accept screenshots

We will be using our local Walgreens too.  They said 30-60 turn around for the testing.  I have 9 in my group so am setting up testing next week and we all have our safe travels accounts

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, sweetbasil57 said:

We are looking for a Hotel 1 night pre cruise, moderately priced for Sept. any recommendations? Have looked on all the Hotel sites, still confused.. Thanks

What "hotel sites" have you been looking at? What dollar amount do you consider "moderate"?

Moderate to me would be the Outrigger hotels (Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki Beach), Hyatt Place, Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, Park Shore Waikiki, Bamboo Waikiki Hotel and the Queen Kapiolani Hotel; to name just a few of the almost 100 hotels in the Waikiki area.

On 5/22/2021 at 9:07 PM, princeton123211 said:

Theres very little in Hawaii overall and Oahu specifically thats moderately priced, at least by mainland US standards. Most that fall into that category, and aren't total dives, will be independent hotels priced from around $170-$250 a night.

Not true at all. There are plenty of great hotels in Waikiki for the budget traveler.

The Waikiki Sand Villa, Hotel Ilima, Aqua Aloha Surf, Royal Grove, White Sands Hotel, Queen Kapiolani, Princess Kaiulani, Courtyard Waikiki, Coconut Hotel Waikiki, Shoreline Waikiki and more. These are all usually under $150; peak times (Christmas & Thanksgiving) would be exceptions.

8 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Not true at all.

A bit misleading. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. Most of the hotels listed here are independent 2 star hotels that I would file away in the dive category. There are a couple 3 star of which only 2 are part of a major chain-- the Courtyard and Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. Both of those Marriott properties have rack rates at or just below $170 ($167 and $169). Of course that can always be a bit lower during the shoulder season. 

I also think that the surge in demand of travel this year, especially with US citizens being largely regulated to domestic travel, will drive different demand levels to Hawaii than we are used to seeing and most likely inflate hotel costs in above normal. 

8 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

A bit misleading. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. Most of the hotels listed here are independent 2 star hotels that I would file away in the dive category. There are a couple 3 star of which only 2 are part of a major chain-- the Courtyard and Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. Both of those Marriott properties have rack rates at or just below $170 ($167 and $169). Of course that can always be a bit lower during the shoulder season.

Have you ever been to any of these hotels? They are far from "dives". 2* isn't a measure of quality, but of amenities. The Hotel Ilima, for example, may be a 2* rated hotel, but gets a 4.2 out of 5 for quality of stay rating from guests on Google. Most of the hotels mentioned are in the top one third of hotels on TripAdvisor for guest satisfaction.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 12:48 AM, scottca075 said:

Not true at all. There are plenty of great hotels in Waikiki for the budget traveler.

The Waikiki Sand Villa, Hotel Ilima, Aqua Aloha Surf, Royal Grove, White Sands Hotel, Queen Kapiolani, Princess Kaiulani, Courtyard Waikiki, Coconut Hotel Waikiki, Shoreline Waikiki and more. These are all usually under $150; peak times (Christmas & Thanksgiving) would be exceptions.

Thank you for this list.  We have a group of 10 rooms going next year and not everyone on the trip can afford $350.00 per night.  After looking at all of these, I think we should be able to find one that everyone will be happy with

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/24/2021 at 7:27 PM, scottca075 said:

What "hotel sites" have you been looking at? What dollar amount do you consider "moderate"?

Moderate to me would be the Outrigger hotels (Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki Beach), Hyatt Place, Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, Park Shore Waikiki, Bamboo Waikiki Hotel and the Queen Kapiolani Hotel; to name just a few of the almost 100 hotels in the Waikiki area.

Which of these are directly on the beach?  We are hoping to find a hotel on the beach for around $300-$350 a night for 3 nights.

Directly on the beach, there are only 7 hotels, of those, the Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki Beach are the two most likely to be in your budget, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't price out the Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider and Hilton Hawaiian Village. My only caution is that at the HHV, there are 8 towers on the property and only three are what I'd call "directly on the beach". Those towers are the Rainbow Tower, Ali'i Tower and Lagoon Tower.

Then you have to decide would you rather be in, say a Garden View Room at the Royal Hawaiian or Ocean View at the Hyatt Regency, which is not directly on the beach, but is across the street with an unobstructed access and view. Click on the link here https://goo.gl/maps/KSk7n87JLjD3cEkEA

The Waikiki Marriott and Park Shore Waikiki are in a similar situation, across the street, but unobstructed. The Park Shore is a 3 star hotel in a 5 star location. See that link here https://goo.gl/maps/yWzkvZWKK6ajvxFn6

Halekulani is way out of your budget, but after that, the Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Reef and Outrigger WB would be my "on the beach" choices in that order, but the Hyatt Regency would come in right after the Royal, if you don't have to be directly on the beach.

Directly on the beach, just outside Waikiki is the lovely Kaimana Beach Hotel.

15 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Halekulani is way out of your budget, but after that, the Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Reef and Outrigger WB would be my "on the beach" choices in that order

I would second the Royal Hawaiian based on what the poster said. Worth noting that it is part of Marriott Bonvoy in their Luxury Collection so you could potentially also use points for all or part of your stay to get it within budget. Generally the RH sits in the high $200s to high $300s depending on the time of year. You shouldn't have an issue getting it within that budget as long as its not holiday travel. 

The other major benefit is that you can reserve beach chairs and umbrellas in private, roped off areas of the beach reserved only for Royal Hawaiian guests. 

Scottca075 & princeton123211--thank you both for your input and especially the links.    Usually I do not have any issues picking out hotels; however, this time for this cruise, it has been throwing me off.    I will try for Royal Hawaiian (the google link definitely sold it to me) and maybe increase my hotel budget (I have to get two rooms) to make it work.    We (my husband, two young adult children and I) are definitely beach people and that beach really looks like the best option for us.

Thank you, both, again!

• 1 month later...

I’m looking for a hotel for one night after flying in late, before checking into Hale Koa as guests of friends. Preferably one that has a free shuttle and close to Hale Koa, if there is such a thing. Not necessary to be on the beach, just want to sleep there. Thank you for any info.