Advice Please Move to Serenade or Ovation?

funhouse8

Personal HELP please. As you know Royal cancelled some Alaska cruises and my cruise tour was one of them. I’m going to get myself on another sailing. But which one? One ship is really small and one ship is really large. It’s for my husband and me, no kids. I don’t think we need all the bell and whistles since I don’t see us going on the flowrider but don’t want to go to bed at 9pm either. Lol 
Here are the sailings and itineraries. Let me know what you think. I really appreciate it. Thanks 
Option 1

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/7-night-alaska-glacier-from-seattle-on-serenade/SR07SEA-3369968410
Option 2

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/7-night-alaska-glacier-from-seattle-on-ovation/OV07SEA-285712480?sail-date=2021-09-10&currency=USD&country=USA&dates_maxDate=08%2F31%2F2021&dates_minDate=07%2F01%2F2021&ecid=sl_mdt_shrdln__4645

For most regular Alaska cruisers the ship is a low priority. Itinerary and port times are important.  Other than ship amenities, I like the Ovation itinerary that includes both Sitka and Skagway.  We’ve done 10 Alaska cruises and Ketchikan has lost most of its appeal. We could go to Sitka every year. It’s a great stop. If it weren’t for the itinerary, we’d pick the smaller, older ship.

From what I can see, both include Endicott Arm / Dawes Glacier, Juneau, and Sitka. Order is different (which means time in port may be different), and also Serenade goes to Ketchikan while Ovation goes to Skagway.

I don't have an opinion; just thought I'd point out the differences to make it easier to follow.

It can be a good place for a wildlife tour. We went out with Gallant Adventures to St. Lazaria Island although there are several.  I don’t normally like captive animal venues but Fortress of the Bear was a good experience as was the Alaska Raptor Centre, St. Michaels Cathedral – particularly if Father Oleksa is there and giving one of his short talks although he was filling in. The town itself does not get the number of ships most of the other cruise ports do and has retained some of its southeast Alaska charm.

• Sitka Park Totem Park

• Fortress of the Bear

• Alaska Raptor Centre

• St Michaels Cathedral

• Sheldon Jackson Museum

• Russian Bishops House

• Sitka Sound Science Centre

• Baranof Island Brewing Company

• Baranof Castle State Historical Site

• Herring Cove Trail

• Wildlife Boat Tour

• Island Artists Gallery

• Kayaking and Canoeing

• Alaska Native Brotherhood Hall

• Starrigavan Recreation Area

On 5/22/2021 at 3:32 PM, marykatherine111 said:

Can you give any advice on what to do in Sitka? They don't have any shore excursions up on the site to get an idea.....

Sitka is one of my favorite SE Alaska communities.  It is much less touristy than a number of other cruise ports. No Diamonds International store here.  I've been there both on business (attending the Alaska Historical Society and Museums Alaska annual conference) and on pleasure.

There is a dock about 6 or 7 miles north of Sitka "proper" and free shuttle buses will run continually into Sitka.  Folks are dropped off at the Harrigan Centennial Hall.  In front of the HCH you will find a number of businesses offering tours and excursions which you can purchase on the spot.  Inside the HCH you will find more information and maps.

Sitka is fairly compact and is very walkable.  For example, unless someone in your party has serious mobility issues, the walk from the HCH to the Sitka National Historical Park (Glaciers calls it "Sitka Park Totem Park" and the locals usually call it Totem Pole Park) is easy and goes right past the Sheldon Jackson Museum.  The Russian Bishop's House is a National Park Service facility and is "katty-corner" from the HCH.  This is a port which is very easy to do on your own.

Before the dock was constructed Sitka was a tender port.  I don't know if any ships still tender there, but on the off chance that yours does, the tenders dropped off folks right by the HCH.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 6:15 AM, funhouse8 said:

Personal HELP please. As you know Royal cancelled some Alaska cruises and my cruise tour was one of them. I’m going to get myself on another sailing. But which one? One ship is really small and one ship is really large. It’s for my husband and me, no kids. I don’t think we need all the bell and whistles since I don’t see us going on the flowrider but don’t want to go to bed at 9pm either. Lol 
Here are the sailings and itineraries. Let me know what you think. I really appreciate it. Thanks 
Option 1

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/7-night-alaska-glacier-from-seattle-on-serenade/SR07SEA-3369968410
Option 2

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/7-night-alaska-glacier-from-seattle-on-ovation/OV07SEA-285712480?sail-date=2021-09-10&currency=USD&country=USA&dates_maxDate=08%2F31%2F2021&dates_minDate=07%2F01%2F2021&ecid=sl_mdt_shrdln__4645

Here is another option for the Serenade --- August 9, 2021.  We like the fact that it goes to a lot of our favorite ports. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/7-night-alaska-glacier-from-seattle-on-serenade/SR07SEA-960161609?sail-date=2021-09-06&currency=USD