Viking Orion has arrived in Bermuda for the summer 8 day cruises

Azulann

Looking forward to my cruise on  the Viking Orion in July, and  exploring the island of Bermuda .

Currently, we can  to take  only Viking shore excursions , but there are  variety  of them  at each port of call. 

• Like 1

Just tried booking this cruise thru my travel agent, it sounded really interesting.  Limited cabins were available but no flights were available into Bermuda on the late June and early July dates.  Did put a one day hold on a cabin right away before checking flights.  Could then check out tours but all that we were interested in were filled for the date we selected.  The available ones were mainly riding around the island on a bus which was not too appealing.  Passengers are not allowed off the ship on their own, only on a tour which is too bad because it is such an interesting place to wander about.

Viking put together a nice cruise around the island, will check it out next year when hopefully more freedom to do what you want will be available.

I am on the July 13 sailing. Yes the flghts are really full  from US to Bemurda on the 13th. I  got bumped off Delta so Viking air rerouted me on United a day early ( 12) which are even better  flight times, and they are putting me up in a hotel on July 12 and flying to Bermuda on the 13th. 

If you still want to go to Bermuda on Viking this  summer,  don't give up hope. They might even add more  8 days sailings after the Aug 3, the current final sailing ,if  these are successful. 

We have not had our excursions open up yet for our sailing. I did see what they  have offered on earlier June sailings. 

I think part of the problem is that Bermuda is just coming off a stay at home order and slowing opening back up. So hopefull by mid July  Bermuda will be more open and Viking will have addtional times   for the most popluar  places and activities. I know they  will put us in a bubble , no independent  walking around in port. They were very clear when I booked in April. 

Viking wants these cruises to work with no COVID on board, so they have their protocol. I knew this when I booked. Things could change  in the months ahead. ..

I am so looking forward to being on a Viking ship again, and seeing Bermuda for the first time, even if I am only on  Viking excursions.

It  would be fabulous if they did these same  sailing in 2022.

On 5/23/2021 at 12:12 PM, Azulann said:

Currently, we can  to take  only Viking shore excursions , but there are  variety  of them  at each port of call. 

I get that this is a way to restart cruising but this would have been a deal breaker for me. The best part of cruising to Bermuda is the ship being docked for long periods of time (overnight and sometimes 2 whole days) in Hamilton and St Georges and getting to wander the island and do whatever you'd like, whenever you like. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 5:07 PM, Azulann said:

I know they  will put us in a bubble , no independent  walking around in port. They were very clear when I booked in April. 

Viking wants these cruises to work with no COVID on board, so they have their protocol. I knew this when I booked. Things could change  in the months ahead. ..

I am so looking forward to being on a Viking ship again, and seeing Bermuda for the first time, even if I am only on  Viking excursions.

No way I would book that cruise. Bermuda is about  the last place on earth I would want to be with no independent walking around. I have been there over 15 times. Being relegated to cruise line excursions in Bermuda would stink. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I get that this is a way to restart cruising but this would have been a deal breaker for me. The best part of cruising to Bermuda is the ship being docked for long periods of time (overnight and sometimes 2 whole days) in Hamilton and St Georges and getting to wander the island and do whatever you'd like, whenever you like. 

It is unbelievable to me that the ship is docking in St. George's and Hamilton and you can't go wherever you would like. What is the point?  What a waste. Since everyone on the ship will be vacinated and a high percentge of Bermudians are vacinated they should drop that requirement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

No way I would book that cruise. Bermuda is about  the last place on earth I would want to be with no independent walking around. I have been there over 15 times. Being relegated to cruise line excursions in Bermuda would suck. 

I am a first time visitor to Bermuda. So it will all be new to me. And I am not a beach chair person anymore. Been there done that. I will go visit the caves , the art museum, walking tour of St George  

, and Hamilton.

I see your point as a visitor to Bermuda  many times. This cruise would not appeal to you

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Azulann said:

I am a first time visitor to Bermuda. So it will all be new to me. And I am not a beach chair person anymore. Been there done that. I will go visit the caves , the art museum, walking tour of St George  

, and Hamilton.

I see your point as a visitor to Bermuda  many times. This cruise would not appeal to you

I don't doubt that as a first time visitor you will still have a very enjoyable time, but if things loosen up enough for these mandatory tours to no longer become mandatory, the single best piece of advice I can give is to just ditch them all and do it on your own. It's not a big place and is easy to do without the group element. 

And regardless of how tenuous your current relationship is with the beach chair, just make even a little time for the beach. You would have to fly 12 hours to Hawaii to find ones that are as nice. They are one of the signature elements of any Bermuda trip. 

• Like 1

I hope they do open up the protocols by mid July, for independent walkabouts. 
Mitch all depends on Covid free ships before ours and the total opening of Bermuda with most of residents vaccinated .

which beach is your favorite ? I will keep it on my list. 

On 5/25/2021 at 12:54 PM, princeton123211 said:

I don't doubt that as a first time visitor you will still have a very enjoyable time, but if things loosen up enough for these mandatory tours to no longer become mandatory, the single best piece of advice I can give is to just ditch them all and do it on your own. It's not a big place and is easy to do without the group element. 

And regardless of how tenuous your current relationship is with the beach chair, just make even a little time for the beach. You would have to fly 12 hours to Hawaii to find ones that are as nice. They are one of the signature elements of any Bermuda trip. 

I agree, easy to explore on your own, and the Bermuda Beaches are AWESOME!  I love Tobacco Bay.  Guess how many of the planned Viking excursions get you some time on a beach?  Zero!!  You can ride by on an E Bike, or see them from a motor coach, but you can't put your toes in any pink sand!  So sad.

On 5/25/2021 at 3:12 PM, Azulann said:

I hope they do open up the protocols by mid July, for independent walkabouts. 
Mitch all depends on Covid free ships before ours and the total opening of Bermuda with most of residents vaccinated .

which beach is your favorite ? I will keep it on my list. 

I love Tobacco Bay and John Smith's Bay.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Thank you patty... I will put both of those on my list.

Cheers!

Horseshoe Bay is the best. Better than Tobacco Bay or John Smith's. Horseshoe Bay is one of the most awesome beaches in the world. 

• Like 2

The ship will overnight in Hamilton,then sea day, then overnight in St. George,  another sea day dock at Dockyards then go back to hamilaton next day and  go to airport. 

Thank you for the suggestions near St. George. 

Edited by Azulann

We're looking forward to being onboard for the August 3rd sailing, though the Bermuda travel requirements are pretty onerous.

We were to have sailed on Norwegian Joy out of Jamaica, but of course NCL have to cover Del Rio's $36 Million annual salary somehow and so cancelled that so the crews could make them more money on higher priced Alaska cruises.

14 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

We're looking forward to being onboard for the August 3rd sailing, though the Bermuda travel requirements are pretty onerous.

I  expect  those requirements will change many times throughout the summer. Currenlty Berumda has no new positive cases. They have 42 folks with active covid. They are doing lots of vaccinations  wanting to be at 70% by the end of June. I read the  Royal Gazette newpaper on line to  see what is going on in Bermuda.

If this is your first Viking saling, you are in for a wonderful treat.  I am just so excited to be on a cruise ship again. It is my favorte way of vacationing. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Viking Orion left Dockyards this morning  and sailing to Hamilton to welcome its first guests on board today.

Good news is that  guests now can  go  off ship on their own. Other news is that they will not be tendering at St. George because of requirements of the tendering schedule by the port. So they  will switch to Dockyards for the fourth and fifth day of the itinerary.