Greece

I enjoy numbers too much and also search for Covid updates in the US/NY and also Greece with our upcoming cruise.  I normally Google "NY covid" and "Greece covid" each day.  It brings up a graph with new infections and also related videos on current covid issues.  NY currently has a 7 day average of 1,500 new cases per day and Greece has a 7 day average of 1,800 new cases per day, both moving downward.  NY has a population of 20 million and Greece 11 million.  NY appears to have twice as many people % wise into the vaccination process than Greece.  Greece is planning to have all their islands vaccinated by the end of June and everyone having access by the end of June.  It has been a long year+ for all of us, but the positive changes have come quickly recently with the increased vaccinations.  It will be interesting to see if these improvements continue within the US, air travel, and Greece as they all relate to the cruise.  The month of June should be positive as other parts of the world are playing catch up with vaccines as they see the continued success we have had in the US.  I am hopeful the nearby is positive.

Note:  as a bean counter at heart, I am aware it may not be entirely accurate to compare NY and Greece for varying reasons, but you get my intent.

• Like 1

I am a numbers guy as well, and I agree with your analysis that the trend is going the right way in both NY and Greece.  I am a little worried about Greece as they have recently relaxed their curfew rules while only a small portion of the population has been vaccinated.  Hopefully the Greeks will be careful, dine outdoors in small groups, wear masks indoors, etc.

We are somewhat obsessed with all numbers related to COVID so really understand the OP's post.  DW and I are heading to Greece in late July based on our own numbers research and comfort being in Greece.  This might shock some, but we have no concern about COVID in terms of ourselves.  We are fully vaccinated and are comfortable accepting that we are very unlikely to have a personal issue with COVID.  As to Greece, we think the Greek government has made it very clear (in terms of both words and deeds) that they are hell bent on opening up their country (especially the islands) for tourism.  In the past few months the Greek government has followed through on their promises and plans and the only problem we anticipate by late July-August is too many tourists in Greece.  Accordingly we have already made all of our reservations for island hopping (after our cruise) including hotels and rental cars (I also need to book some ferry tickets).  

If folks have faith in their vaccines, COVID ceases to become an issue other then various restrictions on activities.  Greece has already been lifting their curfew (I think it is now after midnight) and restaurants and most attractions have been reopening in the past few days..with more to come (and extended hours) in the next few weeks.

Last winter (while we were spending our usual time in Puerto Vallarta) I promised DW that we would travel this summer and look to take advantage of places that were making an effort to reopen and accommodate tourists.  Nowhere else on earth has done this better then we see in Greece.   They worked out a plan, made it transparent, and have followed their plan.  We salute their efforts and want to reward it with our presence and spending.

Hank 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We are somewhat obsessed with all numbers related to COVID so really understand the OP's post.  DW and I are heading to Greece in late July based on our own numbers research and comfort being in Greece.  This might shock some, but we have no concern about COVID in terms of ourselves.  We are fully vaccinated and are comfortable accepting that we are very unlikely to have a personal issue with COVID.  As to Greece, we think the Greek government has made it very clear (in terms of both words and deeds) that they are hell bent on opening up their country (especially the islands) for tourism.  In the past few months the Greek government has followed through on their promises and plans and the only problem we anticipate by late July-August is too many tourists in Greece.  Accordingly we have already made all of our reservations for island hopping (after our cruise) including hotels and rental cars (I also need to book some ferry tickets).  

If folks have faith in their vaccines, COVID ceases to become an issue other then various restrictions on activities.  Greece has already been lifting their curfew (I think it is now after midnight) and restaurants and most attractions have been reopening in the past few days..with more to come (and extended hours) in the next few weeks.

Last winter (while we were spending our usual time in Puerto Vallarta) I promised DW that we would travel this summer and look to take advantage of places that were making an effort to reopen and accommodate tourists.  Nowhere else on earth has done this better then we see in Greece.   They worked out a plan, made it transparent, and have followed their plan.  We salute their efforts and want to reward it with our presence and spending.

Hank 

Amen!  With you 100%.  I just read some additional news from Greece and the vaccination efforts are going in the right direction.  It's not a deal breaker for us either way, but I can foresee easing of mask requirements coming sooner than later.  Enjoy!

3 minutes ago, Neverlookback said:

Amen!  With you 100%.  I just read some additional news from Greece and the vaccination efforts are going in the right direction.  It's not a deal breaker for us either way, but I can foresee easing of mask requirements coming sooner than later.  Enjoy!

Those who have spent some time on the various Greek Islands understand that the residents march to their own drum and lifestyle.  Assuming they get a high percentage of vaccinated residents by the end of June (which is the plan) I would guarantee that the islanders will play loose and easy with any mask restrictions and social distancing.   While I have no idea how well they will do on the mainland, I do suspect their efforts with the islands will have lots of success.  Those folks desperately want normalcy, love tourism, and I am very optimistic that our trip will be lots of fun.  While many folks continue to think "doom and gloom" and content themselves with restricting their activities, we join with the Greeks in wanting to live life to its fullest.   That being said we have the utmost respect for those who think differently (and prefer to lockdown and limit activities) and wish them well.  But it is just not our style.

Hank

• Like 2

https://onemileatatime.com/greece-passenger-locator-form/

Interesting read and appears Greece has a system that is running smoothly at the beginning of the tourism season.  Being vaccinated continues to be the key to reopening travel most expeditiously and minimize the hassle of verifying your covid status with government agencies.

12 minutes ago, Neverlookback said:

https://greekcitytimes.com/2021/05/29/greece-third-eu-covid-19-vac/

More positive news relating to the progress of vaccination in Greece.

Wow!  This is great news.  We fly to Athens a month from now and are willing to adjust to whatever restrictions in place.  Maybe there will be few restrictions?

My love of numbers.... within a week of original post the 7 day average for new cases in NY is now less than 1,000.  The 7 day average for new cases in Greece has dropped from 1,800 to 1,600.  Continues to look promising due to vaccinations.  Also saw today where Spain was reopening its ports to cruise lines in early June.  Still hoping to book a 2nd cruise Novemberish, but not sure what itinerary options will be viable.

The new case trajectory continues to go in the right direction due to people choosing to get vaccinated.  The 7 day average for new cases in NY is now 650 compared to 1,500 two weeks ago.  In Greece the 7 day average for new cases is 1,280 compared to 1,800 two weeks ago.  Hopefully these trends will continue to crush Covid rates and the rest of the world will see the positive effects of getting vaccinated and push forward with their own efforts.  We are 41 days out from our flight to Athens and everything looks positive so far....  Looking forward to feedback from the first cruise folks on 7/3.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for numbers...  the 7 day average for new cases in NY is now 470 compared to 1,500 3+ weeks ago.  In Greece the 7 day average for new cases is now 748 compared to 1,800 3+ weeks ago.  NY has reached a 70% level of at least one shot and has removed all Covid related restrictions for the most part.  The NY numbers have reached a level where further improvement will be more difficult.  I still expect there to be significant restrictions/protocols with our cruise starting July 17, but the hopes for an awesome cruise continue to grow.  I think the worst case would be the extremely small chance to personally test positive during the cruise and dealing with required unknown procedures at that point.

We finally received word from Seabourn that the contract is available in the check in process.   There are many paragraphs about COVID and possible restrictions.   They state we must come to board the ship in Greece with all required documentation including medical documentation.   Still don’t know exactly what we will need other than the original vaccine certificate.   I was hoping to learn what PCA test will be required and when.   We have a appointment for a lab test the day we leave for Greece but we would be glad to cancel it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We finally received word from Seabourn that the contract is available in the check in process.   There are many paragraphs about COVID and possible restrictions.   They state we must come to board the ship in Greece with all required documentation including medical documentation.   Still don’t know exactly what we will need other than the original vaccine certificate.   I was hoping to learn what PCA test will be required and when.   We have a appointment for a lab test the day we leave for Greece but we would be glad to cancel it.

Would you tell us what some of the other information about COVID and the possible restrictions are--as laid out in the contract?

There is a full page about the steps they can take because of COVID.   There are two pages of COVID 19 protocols, Public Health and COVID 19 Practices and Procedures; Understanding and Acceptance of Risk.  First paragraph advices you to discuss with your physician the advisability of travel.   Seabourn has developed protocols that will change as needed and you are expressly agreeing to comply with an in effect.   You will complete an accurate, truthful and complete health questionnaire, pre-embarkation and periodic COVID and temperature checks followed by isolation until test results are available, technology enabled contact tracing via wearable device.   

There are a number of steps that may or may not be taken so we don’t yet know what the cruise on 7/10 will require but they have definitely covered any and all possibilities.   Our health questionnaire is not yet available.   This info can be found in the contract you agree to as you check in.

I read through the contract and think it is more of the typical cruise/passenger contract which gives the cruise line the authority to do just about anything with the cruiser having few rights other then to follow the rules.  Lots of new language about COVID, but nothing written in stone about what will actually happen in terms of procedures.  To be very honest, we know we will heading to Greece next month and will spend 2 weeks on the Ovation.  We also know that we must be fully vaccinated to enter Greece.  Otherwise we have absolutely no specific information from Seabourn.

Hank

• Like 2

23 hours ago, marazul said:

Early cruisers, please post as you go along. You have a lot of people hoping to find out what actually happens during the cruise.

Thanks. 

Today was a red letter day since we finally got access to both our preliminary and final documents for our upcoming cruise (late July) on the Ovation.  The only real news was that we got an assigned embarkation time (you are supposed to arrive at "exactly" your assigned time) which will be tough in terms of compliance when you consider we are in a foreign country where timing could be tricky.  What was missing from the documents was any information on whether excursions are mandatory in any of the ports (indications from calling Seabourn is that there will not be mandatory excursions), what to expect onboard in terms of masking rules, whether (or not) cruisers are required to have any COVID test results prior to boarding (no tests are required to enter Greece), etc.  Like many things COVID, I suspect we will learn as we go although it would be a shock to show up at the port and find out we were supposed to have a COVID test.

Hank

10 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Mandatory excursions? Forcing every passenger off the ship? I haven't heard even a hint of this before, and it seems highly unlikely.

I think it’s the thought that it will be mandatory to take an ship excursion in order to get off the ship in a particular port.  This topic is of interest to many of us and it will definitely be a decision factor for our upcoming Caribbean sailing as a go/no go point.

36 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

I think it’s the thought that it will be mandatory to take an ship excursion in order to get off the ship in a particular port.

Ah, only ship excursions / no independent going ashore... not quite the same as a mandatory excursion, but I understand if that's what the comment was about.

It's disappointing that Seabourn has provided so little information for booked passengers and potential passengers. Of course things are in flux and changing frequently, but there's no reason for them to not share what they currently know with a big caveat that things may change.

Silversea is also doing cruises in Greece, and they have shared more information. They have said they will only be allowing people off the ship on their excursions because it is a requirement of local authorities. They've said they hope that restriction will not last long, but that will be the real for the early cruises. Meanwhile, they're allowing every passenger a choice of one free excursion daily while ship's excursions are the only way off the ship. (I wish Seabourn had done the same!)

@cruiseej  wrote-  Silversea is also doing cruises in Greece, and they have shared more information. They have said they will only be allowing people off the ship on their excursions because it is a requirement of local authorities. They've said they hope that restriction will not last long, but that will be the real for the early cruises. Meanwhile, they're allowing every passenger a choice of one free excursion daily while ship's excursions are the only way off the ship. (I wish Seabourn had done the same!)

Silversea Greece trips are running about 20-30% higher than Seabourn depending on the cabin.   So perhaps  those "free excursions" are not exactly Free!  Totally agree about the information sharing, Seabourn is dropping the ball. And their FCC policy is not nearly as flexible as Silversea. One year vs. 2-3 years on Silversea.  We have so many FCCs on both, going to be interesting trying to use them.  

I just got off the phone with Seabourn (they were very helpful) after asking several questions pertaining to the Greek cruises (we go in late July).  So I will post my questions are their responses keeping in mind this was over the phone and not in writing.  I will say that the person I talked to knew some answers and researched others (while we were on the phone).  My first question was whether SB was going to require any testing prior to boarding (this was left unsaid in our documents).  The answer was "no testing."  For those not aware, fully vaccinated folks from many countries (including the USA) can fly into Greece with nothing more then proof of vaccination (there are things that must be done online prior to arrival).  SB also warned me that folks should check with their airline to make sure their specific airline does not require any testing (apparently some do).  

Another question I had was about whether we would have to take SB shore excursions to get off the ship in the ports (I will avoid saying mandatory shore excursions since at least one person on CC does not like that terminology).  The answer (just updated today) is that SB encourages everyone to take SB excursions but currently passengers will be allowed to do their own thing in the ports.  SB emphasized that what ultimately happens will depend on the local rules in effect at the time and the local rules could change.  But currently the Government of Greece and apparently the local authorities have no restrictions on cruise passengers going ashore (other then adhering to the local rules).  

My last question had to do with SB assigning specific embarkation times and using the language that "passengers should arrive at the terminal at your "exact" assigned time."  Obviously this is very difficult in a foreign country when dealing with transfers.  The SB rep did not know what would happen in one arrived early or late although they suggest arriving at the "exact" assigned time.  She did think this issue would become more clear after the first cruise in July.

I hope a few find this post helpful.  Most of us are cognizant that everything related to travel/cruising is subject to change but at least this gives me some info about where we stand today.

Hank

• Like 4