Greece

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Another question I had was about whether we would have to take SB shore excursions to get off the ship in the ports...  The answer (just updated today) is that SB encourages everyone to take SB excursions but currently passengers will be allowed to do their own thing in the ports.

Wow, that's big news! And great news for those headed for a Greece cruise.

Unless the rules change again tomorrow. 😉

Just now, cruiseej said:

Wow, that's big news! And great news for those headed for a Greece cruise.

Unless the rules change again tomorrow. 😉

And they certainly could change.  Even the Greek Government has made it clear that rules could quickly change......especially if there is a new surge in cases.  But so far Greece seems to be doing a decent job with their accelerated vaccine program (especially on the islands) and their overall COVID numbers keep heading in the right direction.  The latest change in Greece is that the Government has changed the curfew to 1:30am and announced that this national curfew will be completely eliminated on July 1 and apparently nightclubs that have remained closed will be able to open (with live music).

Hank

Seabourn apparently updated their Health & Safety protocol for these cruises yesterday. There was news on the Celebrity board that the Apex cruises (also departing Athens/Piraeus) were now going to be required to wear masks onboard ship in a much broader context. Previously masks were only mentioned when going ashore in port (as required) and when embarking/disembarking. 

The prevailing question is whether this change is being driven by requirements from Greece or whether it is a caution on Celebrity's part.

The relevant portion of Seabourn's advisory states:  When physical distancing can’t be maintained, or when mandated by public health authorities, masks will be required on board, at private islands, and during shore excursions. Masks must be worn in terminals, during embarkation and disembarkation.

Can anyone tell me if that is a change, or was it always stated this way?   TIA.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

The relevant portion of Seabourn's advisory states:  When physical distancing can’t be maintained, or when mandated by public health authorities, masks will be required on board, at private islands, and during shore excursions. Masks must be worn in terminals, during embarkation and disembarkation.

I don't know if it was changed recently, but that seems like pretty standard cover-all-bases language. It's basically just saying, "we may say you need to wear masks in some places, whether to see tour own safety directives or at the direction of local authorities where we are sailing". The specifics of what will be required when and where is likely to be ever-changing. I don't think you can infer from that statement what any actual requirements will be onboard.

It would be great if Seabourn posed information to its passengers to say: "With the caveat that everything is subject to change at any time in the future, as of today, the rules are X and Y and Z." It would provide no promises to passengers or potential passengers, but would help alleviate the guessing and anxiety its causing.

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Okay, Hank, can you work your same magic to get similar answers out of Seabourn for the Caribbean cruises this fall? 😉

Funny you should mention that because we did raise the issue (on the call today) since we are booked on the Odyssey in October.  The SB rep told me she has had several calls about folks having concerns about arriving 1 day early and being forced to quarantine.  But I think that is a subject for a different thread (and day).  The situation with the Caribbean is completely different then with Greece.  While the Greek Government has done just about everything possible to ease the way for tourists, the Government of Barbados has gone the opposite direction.  The rules for Barbados are a royal pain and folks would be well advised to look at all the information on the Visit Barbados site

COVID-19 TRAVEL GUIDELINES 2021 - Visit Barbados

Hank

It has changed, for now, Seabourn will be giving us a test prior to boarding.    We are keeping our appointment for a PCA test at Dulles for now in case the requirements change.   I would like to get on our transatlantic flight knowing we just tested negative.   Hate to travel to Greece only to be told we can’t board because of a positive test

On 6/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, Totalrelax said:

We were told a couple of weeks ago that we needed a COVID test up to 72 hours prior to departure.  Does anyone know if this has changed?

Told by who?  As I mentioned yesterday, we called Seabourn (on June 17) and were told that there is no test requirement to board.  I should add that there is also no test required for entry in Greece as long as you have proof of vaccination and complete the necessary government app at least 24 hours prior to arrival.  If you have doubts you might want to simply telephone SB and ask.  SB also warned us to check if our airline has any of their own test requirements.

Hank

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Handre's video aboard Ovation preparing for the July start up in Athens.  

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=161455315967548&extid=CL-UNK-UNK-UNK-AN_GK0T-GK1C

Thanks for sharing as I don't check Facebook unless someone points out something of interest. I must admit it was lovely to see Handre and of course his multiple bow ties. He started my husband on the habit. I got a little tear in the corner of my eye seeing his reaction when he boarded Ovation.

• Like 1

We just arrived in Athens this evening after a very long trip flight from San Francisco to Istanbul and on to Athens (Turkish Air).  Here's some info for Seabourn cruisers headed this way.  It's very hot here and will continue that way for the rest of the summer.  Covid travel was OK, had to wear a mask all the way and through the airports.  You no longer need to wear a mask outdoors in Greece.

Big warning is to be aware of the Greek government's requirement to register on-line for a Passenger Locator Form (PLF) document at travel.gov.gr.  They will issue you a QR code at midnight on the day before you are scheduled to arrive in Greece and you can load this on your phone, or print it out.  We needed to present this at the airports in San Francisco, Istanbul, and Athens.  This is being rigorously enforced.  It's the Greek government's way of tracking your stay in Greece and your vaccination status.  This requirement applies to US Passport holders, and from what we could see in the lines boarding at the airport, it seemed to apply to all other non-Greeks as well.  Passengers without tghe PLF code were pulled out of the check-in line.

I will provide more Greece reports.  We are here for 6 weeks, with side trips.  No Seabourn for us this time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a question for those of you who have already entered Greece. The Greece website states that our vaccine cards must have our full names on them, matching a travel document....How strictly are they following this? My card only has my first and last name and my husband’s has his middle  ( that he goes by) and last name. Not our full names ! Not sure what to do....We are boarding in August. 
Thanks,

Susan

33 minutes ago, greeneyedgirl58 said:

I have a question for those of you who have already entered Greece. The Greece website states that our vaccine cards must have our full names on them, matching a travel document....How strictly are they following this? My card only has my first and last name and my husband’s has his middle  ( that he goes by) and last name. Not our full names ! Not sure what to do....We are boarding in August. 
Thanks,

Susan

Wow, this is a good question.  We are in Texas as well and our vaccination slips of paper are not matching to our passports I don't think.  I had better go and check!   OK. I just checked and I am in the same boat you are.  My vaccination card has my first name, a middle initial and then my last name.  My passport has my entire middle name, not just an initial.  My husband just checked his and it has his first name, a middle initial and his last name.  His passport also has his entire middle name and a numeral (III) after his name.  

Perhaps we can get them reissued? My husband got his vaccination at the medical school in Dallas and I got mine at a hospital.  Surely they would be able to reissue if we took our originals to them?  Let's hope so, especially if this is a real problem for travelers.  

Edited by SLSD

59 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Wow, this is a good question.  We are in Texas as well and our vaccination slips of paper are not matching to our passports I don't think.  I had better go and check!   OK. I just checked and I am in the same boat you are.  My vaccination card has my first name, a middle initial and then my last name.  My passport has my entire middle name, not just an initial.  My husband just checked his and it has his first name, a middle initial and his last name.  His passport also has his entire middle name and a numeral (III) after his name.  

Perhaps we can get them reissued? My husband got his vaccination at the medical school in Dallas and I got mine at a hospital.  Surely they would be able to reissue if we took our originals to them?  Let's hope so, especially if this is a real problem for travelers.  

Yes I was thinking the same thing. (I got mine at UTSW and husband at Parkland Hospital . ) Other alternative I suppose would be to get a PCR test a couple of days before trip to cover all bases....hopefully we will hear that they aren’t strictly enforcing this.

21 hours ago, SLSD said:

21 hours ago, greeneyedgirl58 said:

Thanks,

Susan

I emailed the friends who arrived in Greece yesterday.  They said the name on the vaccination card was not an issue.  They just wanted to see that you had the card.  No checking for an exact match at all. So, it is not a problem.

They only cared to see that you had the QR code.  My friend said that they do follow up on that very seriously.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, marazul said:

I emailed the friends who arrived in Greece yesterday.  They said the name on the vaccination card was not an issue.  They just wanted to see that you had the card.  No checking for an exact match at all. So, it is not a problem.

They only cared to see that you had the QR code.  My friend said that they do follow up on that very seriously.

Thanks so much for that info! So now we only have to worry about getting that QR code as we land! 😊 thanks

Here’s another thing that will cause less potential aggravation since I am going to explain all about it.

We board Ovation this afternoon at 2:40 which I imagine was determined according to our deck number. We are on 7 and friends on 8 and Spa Suite board a bit earlier.

Anyway, the last thing I needed was to lose a 50+ year old silver filling during dinner last night. But our smart and capable Front Desk at Electra Metropolis Hotel has booked me into a clinic, “Smile Dental” for treatment at 10:30, and it is a 7 minute cab away. Hoo HA!

That will allow for a great afternoon no matter how long the embarkation formalities take.

Happy and healthy sailing!

3 hours ago, markham said:

Here’s another thing that will cause less potential aggravation since I am going to explain all about it.

We board Ovation this afternoon at 2:40 which I imagine was determined according to our deck number. We are on 7 and friends on 8 and Spa Suite board a bit earlier.

Anyway, the last thing I needed was to lose a 50+ year old silver filling during dinner last night. But our smart and capable Front Desk at Electra Metropolis Hotel has booked me into a clinic, “Smile Dental” for treatment at 10:30, and it is a 7 minute cab away. Hoo HA!

That will allow for a great afternoon no matter how long the embarkation formalities take.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Good luck with the tooth! 

When you have time could  you tell us if you were able to have lunch when you boarded, how muster drill was set up and if possible could you find out how many guests are actually on board.

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

Good luck with the tooth! 

When you have time could  you tell us if you were able to have lunch when you boarded, how muster drill was set up and if possible could you find out how many guests are actually on board.

I know we shouldn't put pressure on markham and others onboard to share their experience but I can't help myself. 😄

Some of us from a safe but locked in Australia really want to live vicariously. Even travel across State borders is fraught with danger. A friend I walked with this morning was feeling sad as she had meant to spend this week in Adelaide & Darwin including a 2 day train trip on the Ghan through central Australian desert. All cancelled, sigh. 

It is so nice to read the stories about restarting cruising, including Silver Moon and now Seabourn.

• Like 1