How I made my decision to cruise a Luxury Cruise Brand

Sthrngary

I have always wanted to enjoy a luxury cruise experience.  Being a first-time luxury cruise client is a little stressful. What I did not want to do was invest in this all-inclusive cruise vacation and come to regret the financial decision.  The size of the investment for cruising on an all-inclusive luxury cruise brand is often the cost of a small car. The only thing I could do was research deeply to insure the highest percentage chance of a phenomenally successful cruise vacation.

Before I begin, I must be transparent about my feelings.  The fear of making expensive financial mistakes on vacations is because of my past errors in judgement.  My mistake was largely listening to my travel agent that did not understand or quite frankly listen to my clearly stated needs. That is when I realized we are all alone on this journey.

My wife and I were on a quest for a new level of personalized service.  Not just in the VIP sections of a mainstream or premium cruise brand.  Those are genuinely nice for sure. The issue arises when you level that VIP area and enter the rest of the ship. Any semblance of personalized service was lost.  You become a number. We wanted that same personalized service on the entire ship which can only happen on a luxury cruise brand.

As I searched every piece of information on all the top luxury cruise brands, I found out something remarkably interesting.  Extraordinarily little information was available that was client centered.  What you did find was complaints and or travel agents doing an unrealistic information dump.  Affluent client rarely reviewed unless they are unhappy.  Then they will write a novel. Where were the folks like me?  Those that just wanted the straight scope to feel marginally better at the sizable investment needing to be made. 

This challenge was right up my alley.  I had done this same approach on other luxury products and services.  I knew it would take time, effort, and patients. I had all those characteristics. Here was my approach:

1.  List Questions: I had specific questions I wanted answered about the brand, amenities, and expenses.  Most luxury brands claim to be all-inclusive.  None really are.  My questions would simply let me know the “Rules of the Game”. I wanted to manage my personal expectations.
  2. Social Media for each Brand: Facebook, Reddit, Cruise Critic, travel blogs and the list goes on.  Taking the questions developed and getting answers. My overall criticism of social media is way too much brand loyalty.  Everyone seemed to want to be considered the ultimate expert and the information they provide showed that had truly little real-world experience.
  3. Calling the Brand for Verification: as stated, the challenge with social media is that everyone is an expert.  Lots of “Know-it-Alls”.  Bad information can cause major errors in future decisions made.  Only the brand can confirm if an item was factual or hearsay. During this call I would ask for a Brand Brochure sent to my home.  I would judge the brand on how quick I got the brochure and the what it was written.
  4. Interview Someone Who Experienced the Brand: You CAN find these folks on social media.  I wanted a more credible source.  YouTube™ has some stars in the Cruise Vacation Segment.  The more successful travel agents have sailed on these ships.  That is the interview that would confirm the last needed level of confidence.  I could not ask my travel agent because she never personally cruised in the luxury segment.  I was willing to give my booking to the agent that would simply allow me to ask my extremely specific questions.  Conclusion, I reached out to three (3) online YouTube™ stars.  I was unable to have a conversation with any of them.  A complete waist of time.
  5. Write a Journey Document: This is an incredibly detailed design document (ddd) that shares my journey, due diligence, and conclusions. The only section missing is the post-cruise review. I want the brands to know I am taking this study very seriously. I used to do documents like this for my clients.  They also took a lot of time and cost a lot of money.  These cruise documents cost the cruise brand nothing.  My gift to them.
  6. Write to All Brands Executives:  I write both emails and USPS snail mail to all key brand executives.  The letters are extremely professional and sent certified mail. With them is a detailed document on the research I have done on their specific brand. I am looking to see if they respond, even if it is from a member of their support staff. My success ratio is exceedingly high on gaining responses.
  7. Finish the Journey Document; Post and Send: All my work is focused on educating other client like myself.  My finding will help them leverage their potential cruise experience and decide on which luxury brand they would like to engage.

There you have it.  My approach to being a “first-time luxury cruise client”.  My next cruise is on Crystal Cruises for July 31, 2021 to the Bahamas out of Nassau.   My Journey document is 95% completed waiting on the actual post-cruise review.  I have sent out all my correspondences outlined above.  All the findings are documented to this point in my documentation. I feel greatly confident that my upcoming luxury cruise experience will set the tone for many more to come. My full reviews on CruiseCritic.com is forthcoming.  I owe that to all those that have helped me so much in the past.

Cruise Well Everyone!!

• Like 1

Slow day ? 😄

Have you considered hiring a private yacht ??

You can research all you like  but  your experience  & expectations  may be totally different than  what you read about

The cruise  may sound good on paper but in  reality it can suck 🙂

JMO

54 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Slow day ? 😄

Have you considered hiring a private yacht ??

You can research all you like  but  your experience  & expectations  may be totally different than  what you read about

The cruise  may sound good on paper but in  reality it can suck 🙂

JMO

Thank you for sharing.  True that!!!  Let’s see what happens.  This cruise on Crystal Cruises can be a epic fail or success.  Regardless, I will report back so others have some sort of fist hand information.  Better to do due diligence then not. 

True

I reported back on my cruise & the Crystalized   attacked  

so good luck  with that  😄

Be sure to try the  Mozart tea it is  interesting  to see the costumes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

True

I remember your comments. Thank you

Will you report back here or on Crystal board?  It would be interesting to see difference between expectations and actual experience. 

A note on reviews on luxury cruises. I have found more good reviews then negative reviews. And when I read a review that is way out there (both good or bad) I try to find other postings from the reviewer, I then get some kind of frame of reference for how serious to take the review. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

Will you report back here or on Crystal board?  It would be interesting to see difference between expectations and actual experience. 

A note on reviews on luxury cruises. I have found more good reviews then negative reviews. And when I read a review that is way out there (both good or bad) I try to find other postings from the reviewer, I then get some kind of frame of reference for how serious to take the review. 

That is called the 10/80/10 rule.  Don't focus on the top or bottom 10%.  Focus on the middle 80%.  Luxury cruises have a lot of Affluent Buyers.  Affluent buyers don't do reviews because in their life style, they have less time then money.  Unless of course they have an issue.  Then they write a novel.  

I will report back and I will be completely honest in my thoughts.  Thank you for posting.

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

True

Let's change the subject.  A Little story.  Right before Covid it, our best friends told us they were going on a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise. They suggested we join them.  Timing was great so we did.  It was on Oceania (My wife and I are huge fans of the entire NCL/Oceania/Regent Brand).  As you may expect, it was cancelled due to Covid.  You post a lot on Oceania.  All aspects of brand, experiences and your opinions.

Love to know your favorite aspects of Oceania.  

54 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You post a lot on Oceania.  All aspects of brand, experiences and your opinions.

Love to know your favorite aspects of Oceania.  

Since Oceania is not a luxury line    as someone will point out  

Just ask on the Oceania forum

FWIW  there are affluent people on all cruise lines  some just do not  have to tell people how rich they are  😉

15 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Since Oceania is not a luxury line    as someone will point out  

Just ask on the Oceania forum

FWIW  there are affluent people on all cruise lines  some just do not  have to tell people how rich they are  😉

I studied surveys, survey systems, and all aspects of what the data shows.  It was my business for over 40 years.  My comments have far less to do with how much a person has financially.  It has to do with trends and patterns.  My comment on Affluent folks was based on my knowledge of surveys.  

My comment to you on Oceania was sincere.  You are right.  It is not a luxury brand.  It is an Ultra Premium boutique brand.  It was also something you write a lot about.  I was both interested and being nice.  

Cruise well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1