Possible new rules for bringing drinks on board.

wowzz

I noticed on the Princess board that attention has been raised about a new restriction now inserted into Princess t&c's. Obviously this does not impact on P&O at present, but I wonder if it is a sign of the future. I assume that the restriction is designed to reduce the amount of plastic waste that needs to be disposed of, which can only be applauded. The fact that it also helps the sale of drinks on board is obviously just a profitable side effect! 

(Sorry about the font size of the attachment! )

1311889418_Screenshot_20210524-182600_Ad

Edited by wowzz

Possibly, but in fairness when cruising from the US on Princess, have seen so many pax drop off crates of soft drinks and water. I don’t just mean a tray I mean full on rolling ice cooler carts.  Not really aware of that with P&O sailings.

4 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Possibly, but in fairness when cruising from the US on Princess, have seen so many pax drop off crates of soft drinks and water. I don’t just mean a tray I mean full on rolling ice cooler carts.  Not really aware of that with P&O sailings.

Yes, that's true, I've seen the same. The Americans really like their sweet sickly drinks!

• Like 1

LOL,I gave up rowing with Yanks on the Princess board,who were intent on bringing their"Walmart mega packs" of plastic straws onboard.They don't "like" the proposed cardboard ones.

12 minutes ago, brian1 said:

LOL,I gave up rowing with Yanks on the Princess board,who were intent on bringing their"Walmart mega packs" of plastic straws onboard.They don't "like" the proposed cardboard ones.

I know exactly what you mean. It does seem that many Americans have little or no awareness of the effect of plastic on the environment. 

• Like 2

Fred stopped supplying plastic items on board, in spring 2019.  That included no plastic bottles of water for sale in cabins, but provided (free) glass decanters of water which were about a litre or more in size.  Cabin stewardesses kept them topped up twice a day.  At the same time cool water dispensers were placed in public areas such as help yourself hot drink serveries and by reception.  He also provided pencils instead of plastic pens and paper straws were possibly brought in earlier than that.   

It did not affect what we could take on ship though. It actually changed between two b2b's we were booked on, so we were there for the change over.  I was not happy using the water at first, but the bottles did stay sparklingly clean, so must have been cleaned regularly. 

Perhaps enviromental rules changed now?  Does this apply to Princess in the US, or is this just on the uk their UK website? 

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, that's true, I've seen the same. The Americans really like their sweet sickly drinks!

It seems that a whole industry has grown up around Rum Runners, now the same will happen with Soda. It always amazes me that folk spend thousands on their cruise and then lug crates of fizzy drinks around to save a few quid🤔

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It seems that a whole industry has grown up around Rum Runners, now the same will happen with Soda. It always amazes me that folk spend thousands on their cruise and then lug crates of fizzy drinks around to save a few quid🤔

It’s not always about saving money. Some people have a drink or more likely a specific mixer they prefer. A friend of mine used to take a horrible fizzy drink called Quattro (which I don’t even think they make any more) with her as she liked it in her gin. 

Another friend only drinks one specific tonic.

And the coup de grace, try getting proper irn bru on a ship, my late mothers favourite cure all.

I do agree however that personally I would not be lugging pallets of anything with me on holiday.

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It’s not always about saving money. Some people have a drink or more likely a specific mixer they prefer. A friend of mine used to take a horrible fizzy drink called Quattro (which I don’t even think they make any more) with her as she liked it in her gin. 

Another friend only drinks one specific tonic.

And the coup de grace, try getting proper irn bru on a ship, my late mothers favourite cure all.

I do agree however that personally I would not be lugging pallets of anything with me on holiday.

I prefer Heinz baked beans to the bulk, value variety, Waitrose fish is nice as well. I wonder if Carnival would mind if we took our own shopping on board?🤣.

32 minutes ago, tring said:

I see the text bans all bottles, only cans or cartons allowed.  So glass bottles banned as well.

My reading is that wine in bottles is still allowed

31 minutes ago, tring said:

What about spirits?  I see no mention of either in your attachment.

From memory, Princess have never allowed you to bring bottles of spirits, so that would be prohibited before the “also”

See below…

Edited by Pink-belle
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, tring said:

What about spirits?  I see no mention of either in your attachment.

Princess Alcohol Policy has not changed

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I prefer Heinz baked beans to the bulk, value variety, Waitrose fish is nice as well. I wonder if Carnival would mind if we took our own shopping on board?🤣.

The difference is that they have previously allowed passengers to take on soft drinks and this has changed now.

I don’t think they have ever mentioned beans being prohibited so I assume you will be permitted to take on your Heinz beans - just don’t ask them to cook them for you.😉

Along with lots of juice I have actually heard of people bringing along stacks of nuts, crisps, sweets etc etc. I struggle to manage the 3 meals a day far less eat crisps in between but each to their own.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The difference is that they have previously allowed passengers to take on soft drinks and this has changed now.

I don’t think they have ever mentioned beans being prohibited so I assume you will be permitted to take on your Heinz beans - just don’t ask them to cook them for you.😉

Along with lots of juice I have actually heard of people bringing along stacks of nuts, crisps, sweets etc etc. I struggle to manage the 3 meals a day far less eat crisps in between but each to their own.

I'm addicted to twiglets recently.I'd probably bring them onboard now,lol.Only with my predinner voddie.

• Haha 1

ooo, I have a couple of Princess cruises booked, never realised you could not take spirits on board, so thank you for educating me.  Shame, as I do like a G&T when getting ready on an evening.  I have booked the plus fare, so it is not going to increase sales for Princess, but would have saved me popping to the bar and carrying a drink back to the room. 

1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

Princess Alcohol Policy has not changed

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Great, thanks.  We are due to embark our first Princess ship on 22nd October, so can take a bottle of bubbles.  Will it fit in the cabin fridge, or would cabin staff provide an ice bucket to make it worthwhile?  Things looking up 🙂

We do have the drinks pack though on reflection.

Edited by tring

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know exactly what you mean. It does seem that many Americans have little or no awareness of the effect of plastic on the environment. 

And for many it may well be the 'it's my right' attitude. I love the USA and have several close American friends but do have to smile at the loud 'it's my right' element of their society...

1 hour ago, davemorton said:

ooo, I have a couple of Princess cruises booked, never realised you could not take spirits on board, so thank you for educating me.  Shame, as I do like a G&T when getting ready on an evening.  I have booked the plus fare, so it is not going to increase sales for Princess, but would have saved me popping to the bar and carrying a drink back to the room. 

I have sailed with Princess quite a lot, but never with Medallion, it says your drink will be delivered to you, without charge, so maybe you can order through the app? Especially on the summer cruises where they will probably be quite happy to have less people out and about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

Great, thanks.  We are due to embark our first Princess ship on 22nd October, so can take a bottle of bubbles.  Will it fit in the cabin fridge, or would cabin staff provide an ice bucket to make it worthwhile?  Things looking up 🙂

We do have the drinks pack though on reflection.

Yes, bottle will fit in fridge.  Getting ice bucket more tricky due to language barrier rather than unwillingness to help. 
There is an ice bucket already there, for ice, you can let steward know if you want ice, lemon etc. 
so I asked if I could get a bigger bucket for a bottle, but he just bought me an additional ice bucket.  After 2 days I left a note saying I didn’t need that much ice 🤣

Technically you should be able to order one from Room Service, but again I got an additional ice bucket.  I’m thinking they must have a different name,

If you’re in a mini suite or above your sparkling wine will be delivered in an ice bucket no problem. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

it says your drink will be delivered to you, without charge, so maybe you can order through the app

If you want a drink delivered to your cabin, I think Princess would consider that to be room service, so you would be charged, even if you have Princess Plus.

I guess the best way round it, would be to locate the nearest public area to your cabin, order your drink, and wait there for it to be delivered.