Uniworld Excursion Recommendations for Rhine and Moselle

ninaks

I am trying to stay positive for a cruise in October with Uniworld for the Rhine and Moselle on the Rive Queen.  Several days of the cruise you have choices of excursions.  Has anyone done this trip and can make recommendations on which of these they enjoyed?  thank you!

1 hour ago, ninaks said:

I am trying to stay positive for a cruise in October with Uniworld for the Rhine and Moselle on the Rive Queen.  Several days of the cruise you have choices of excursions.  Has anyone done this trip and can make recommendations on which of these they enjoyed?  thank you!

It would help if you listed what the choices are. People may not have been on Uniworld but might have suggestions anyway.

Ninaks, 

Yes, we've cruised this area on the River Queen a few times.   Cruise companies do change things up after a few years, so let us know which options you are wondering about.

The Queen was supposed to undergo refurbishment at the end of the season last year, but there is no mention of it in the 2021 or 2022 literature. 

RB 

Thank you for the offer of help.  In Baden Baden, they have these choices: 

Choice of 

Festspielhaus guided visit
Caracalla Thermal Bath
Sea Salt Grotto

In Speyer

Choice of 
Speyer walking tour
Private Doktorenhof Vinegar Estate visit and tasting

in Boppard

Choice of 
Boppard village stroll
Let's Go" Rhine biking
"Let's Go" Rhine hiking
Rheinstein visit
Rüdesheim walk with local treats
Rheinweinwelten visit - The best Rhine Rieslings

Ninaks, as I mentioned  cruise companies change things up and Uniworld added Baden Baden to the itinerary last year, so I can't help with that location. 

Speyer walking tour was the only thing available when we toured, but everything I have read about the vinegar tour is positive and very popular.  The technology  museum is worth a visit if you have free time.

Your own interests will  determine which of the Boppard options to take.  If the weather is nice we always took the bike tour options.

Have fun,

RB 

The River Queen is my favourite ship out of their fleet, and we've been on her three times.   There are many opinions on this board comparing the various cruise companies, and I only have experience with Uniworld  having done 10 cruises.   We loved the first one we did so found no reason to try any other.  Having someone greet you at the airport and take you to the ship is a nice way to start the all inclusive adventure.  The food, staff, tours, guides, etc are all great.  It will be interesting to see how things change post pandemic. 

Enjoy your cruise and we look forward to reading your review.

RB 

• Like 1

We were on the River Queen for the cruise in 2019 and loved the whole experience. Our cruise started in Frankfurt and ended in Cologne. Favorite tours were the castle in Cochem, Trier walking tour, visit to the American WW2 cemetery in Luxembourg. My husband took several bike rides on his own, borrowing the bike from the boat's collection. I bought a map of the Moselle River and followed our route from the sun deck. Late one afternoon I took the chair lift to the top of a hill in Boppard for the fabulous views (it's a short walk from the boat dock to the chair lift).

15 hours ago, ninaks said:

Choice of 

Caracalla Thermal Bath
Sea Salt Grotto

In Speyer

Choice of 
Speyer walking tour

in Boppard

Choice of 
Boppard village stroll
Let's Go" Rhine biking
"Let's Go" Rhine hiking
Rheinstein visit

I can highly recommend the Vinegar Estate, having done this as a Uniworld excursion. It was fantastic.

In Boppard, we arrived just before dinner, so our only option was the village stroll, which we didn't do. We wandered around town on our own. If the hike involves the chairlift to the top of the hillside, I would choose that one.

Our other stop was Rudesheim itself. Most of the ship did the winery visit and enjoyed it (we did the gondola to the Niederwald forest and hiked to Assmannhausen)

Have fun!

In Boppard you may have enough time to head up the mountain to Vierseenblick. If the chair lift is not running, it is accessible on foot alongside the lift if you are reasonably agile and fit. It is a great view in clear weather and worth the effort. 

6 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Another recommendation for Vierseenblick above Boppard. I enjoyed the chair lift and the view.

notamermaid 

And you could be lucky and enjoy hang gliders. 

On 5/25/2021 at 12:58 PM, ninaks said:

I am trying to stay positive for a cruise in October with Uniworld for the Rhine and Moselle on the Rive Queen.  Several days of the cruise you have choices of excursions.  Has anyone done this trip and can make recommenations on which of these they enjoyed?  thank you!

We have been on the River Queen twice. Amsterdam to Basel and then Cologne to Frankfurt. The Rhine is nice but the Moselle is wonderful with all it's little towns and villages. You'll love the ship, the staff, the service, the all inclusive aspects and stops along the way. It will be a marvelous trip no matter which excursions you choose.

thank you all for your suggestions.  I am now even more thrilled to take this voyage.  I did find out the River  Queen was not redone during Covid times, but I really don't care.  

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have sailed with Uniworld once and loved it🙂 (not this itinerary) but I would definitely recommend them.

I will admit the décor on the Uniworld ships isn't my style, but EVERYthing else about their offering is terrific.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wings55 said:

I will admit the décor on the Uniworld ships isn't my style, but EVERYthing else about their offering is terrific.  

Oh, I would not decorate my home in their vibe either..........LOL..... I have 2 beautiful Tiffany lamps in my living room but that is the only thing that would be close🙂

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Oh, I would not decorate my home in their vibe either..........LOL..... I have 2 beautiful Tiffany lamps in my living room but that is the only thing that would be close🙂

You would need 12 Tiffany lamps to come close to the pictures of Uniworld...

• Haha 3

On 5/26/2021 at 8:51 AM, acwmom said:

I can highly recommend the Vinegar Estate, having done this as a Uniworld excursion. It was fantastic.

Another vote for the Vinegar Estate.  Not something you would do on your own.

• Like 1

We also enjoyed the Vinegar Estate - very unique.

My husband and I like the decor of Uniworld because it is like a grand European hotel (we've only been on European cruises). The decor is reflective of the countries the ship visits.  We like that it doesn't look like a hotel that we'd find in the US.  We've enjoyed two Uniworld cruises and are trying to decide what to do about our 2021 Danube cruise. We hope the service or experience won't be diminished by the pandemic or need to cut costs.   

We did Castles Along the Rhine a few years ago. (Absolutely loved it.) Were so anticipating the Vinegar Estate - but it was closed on the day we were there.  Can't remember if it was a weekday or a national holiday.  But just be aware that it isn't guaranteed.

On 5/26/2021 at 12:22 AM, ninaks said:

Choice of 

Caracalla Thermal Bath
Sea Salt Grotto

In Speyer

Choice of 
Speyer walking tour

in Boppard

Choice of 
Boppard village stroll
Let's Go" Rhine biking
"Let's Go" Rhine hiking
Rheinstein visit

I did not do any of those excursions, but know most of the destinations from land visits.

* Baden-Baden: If your tour allows a bit of time for the spa experience, then I would go for Caracalla Thermal Bath - they are great. If its just "looking at", then the Festspielhaus is more interesting.

* Speyer: I dont know the vinegar estate, but vinegar tasting does not sound appealing to me. Speyer is a lovely town and the cathedral is among the grandest church rooms you will ever see.

* Boppard. The place itself is not all too exciting, so I support hike or bike trip, esp., if you get to Vierseenblick.

* Rüdesheim: I support the idea to do a DIY with the gondola up to Niederwald-memorial and walking back though the vineyards. Rüdesheim itself is pretty, but veeeeery touristy.