Iguazu Falls - spiders and snakes?

busymumofthree

Hello all - I am about to book a January 2023 trip from BA to Santiago and we'd like to add the Iguazu falls 5 day pre tour.  And then I panicked about spiders and snakes!  I'm averagely scared of both, as are most Brits probably, as we don't really get any types to worry about.  I've been fine in Australia a couple of times, even in the forest bits, and also in India,  but the 'Actual Jungle' is a whole different prospect. (And my own daughter has done lots of trips to Africa and central America and has had regular encounters with both which haven't fazed her too much.... so I know this is overthinking it.)

So those of you who've been there - how careful and wary do you need to be and have any of you ever had an encounter there which you'd say was truly scary?

And I'd be mad to not go just because I'm a bit worried, right? 

Thanks all.

Five days is a long time in the area IMHO.   Two or three days should be enough.  

We did the arrangements on our own.  IF you get on the Aerolineas Argentine web site you will see more flights at less cost than the usual booking sites.  The Aeroilinas NA 1-800 operator was kind enough to tell us that we could call the Aerolinias call center in BA to book.  English not an issue.  We did this.  We had more flight options and the cost was 30 percent less than the typical booking sites!

Hotel not an issue.  We stayed in town.  There is an excellent bus service that runs from town (Argentine side) to the falls all day long.

Did not see any creepy crawlers, snakes, or cats/dogs for that matter.  Just one two vary odd looking tourists was about the extent of our sightings.  Nothing scary.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On our visit we were much more concerned about mosquitos which transmit Yellow Fever. (Iguazu Falls is in the warning area.) Spent a LOT of money to get vaccinated but never saw a single skeeter on the day we were at the falls.

I don't recall seeing any snakes, but there was an abundance of spiders hanging around in webs along the walkway to the falls. My husband was most intrigued by photographing them.

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3543.JPG

Probably the biggest danger in the park (at least according to the signs) were bites from the coatis and monkeys. We watched people feed both and the coatis were especially bold when begging. I would keep my distance from both!

My blog post from our day at Iguazu Falls

IMG_6626.JPG

Edited by AryMay
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We were there in January, 2019.  One of the most beautiful places we have seen.  We flew from Buenos Aires on Aerolinas Argentinas.  Easy to do but go on line and reserve them early as they do normally sell out.  We spent 2 nights and I wish we would have spent three.  If you can do it I suggest staying at the Melia Iguazu actually in the park and get a falls view room.  Wonderful.   Never were bothered by snakes, spiders, etc  If you get a chance to go, then DO IT.

• 3 months later...