Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

2 hours ago, delondin said:

I am now reading in the British press that come mid June when more countries go on the green list the labs processing the PCR tests will not be able to cope so now that is another stress.

Not sure I would worry too much, we may put other countries on our green list but the way things are going I have to wonder how many counties will let us in.

42 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Not sure I would worry too much, we may put other countries on our green list but the way things are going I have to wonder how many counties will let us in.

Yes, Brexit has left a bitter taste in the EU masters in Europe. Our Vaccination rates are better than all (except Gibraltar) and infection rates lower than most. Italy Spain and Greece in particular are crying out for our return, but that's the people who matter and losing out not the EU government. It must be just as frustrating for them.

• Like 1

Just booked for 3rd July!

Very excited to get back on a boat it’s been a while! We were booked to go to Portugal for 10 days on 28th June but have had to cancel because it’s now on the amber list. To be fair I never thought I would book a cruise to Scotland! This cruise was my backup plan. Very good value, especially as hotels in the UK are super expensive this Summer and restaurant bookings a nightmare. Husband and I in one balcony and my son in an interconnected balcony cabin next door. His fare is heavily discounted for one person. 

16 minutes ago, sfitz2000 said:

Just booked for 3rd July!

Very excited to get back on a boat it’s been a while! We were booked to go to Portugal for 10 days on 28th June but have had to cancel because it’s now on the amber list. To be fair I never thought I would book a cruise to Scotland! This cruise was my backup plan. Very good value, especially as hotels in the UK are super expensive this Summer and restaurant bookings a nightmare. Husband and I in one balcony and my son in an interconnected balcony cabin next door. His fare is heavily discounted for one person. 

Enjoy that cruise!!

Is the currency onboard still dollars? And what's best for tips - £ or $?  I often like to get a room service early breakfast delivered (I use it as my wake up call!) and usually give a dollar or two to the person who delivers it, depending on how much they have to bring.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

Is the currency onboard still dollars? And what's best for tips - £ or $?  I often like to get a room service early breakfast delivered (I use it as my wake up call!) and usually give a dollar or two to the person who delivers it, depending on how much they have to bring.

Yup - currency on board is US$

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Ship's currency is USD, but crew members are quite happy to be tipped in local currency. As you live in the UK, and the cruise is in the UK, tip in £. 

I like your thinking, but I’m not sure that the crew will be allowed to wander when in port.

10 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

I like your thinking, but I’m not sure that the crew will be allowed to wander when in port.

Good point, and I have to admit I've seen nothing addressing this one way or the other. The worst case scenario, though, would be the crew members having to convert the funds to the currency of their choice should they not be allowed ashore.

Let us know if you see or hear anything about restrictions on crew.

• Like 1

I've just booked on the July 17th sailing. If you told me two years ago that I would be booking a British Isles cruise, I would have said you were mad. Now, I'm really looking forward to it, having had two more 'exotic' cruises cancelled. 

The great thing is that there are no single supplements. it is all inclusive and free parking at Southampton. I live just 22 miles away.

• Like 5

On 6/1/2021 at 9:44 AM, les37b said:

I was ready to place a booking for the 17th July sailing. Ive already got Seacation bookings on Princess, MSC and Virgin Voyages, all of which do not require a PCR test, but will rapid test on arrival before boarding.

The extra £149pp cost of a PCR rules me out. Such a shame they dont allow the free NHS tests as proof.

Edit..... just seen the above stating the PCR test has been dropped. Maybe will book after all!

Unsure about the options available - premium upgrades and upcharge restaurants on Silhouette. Any links to read whats what in this respect and what is excluded?

If I am interpreting this correctly ,

it seems that Celebrity will pay for the PCR test if needed?

2213C081-1449-4BC6-B491-F401544996CB.jpeg

• Like 1

I wonder at the distinction between the vaccinated adults requiring a PCR test but the under 18’s only needing an antigen test 🤷‍♀️. Can only presume they are considering the severity of the disease in the different age groups?? I very much doubt cost is a consideration as there will be relatively few under 18’s onboard.

Good Sign Maybe

Just noticed that Silhouette has moved from its anchorage in the Bahamas to Port Everglades, hopefully to pick up crew and provisions before heading across the pond for its 3rd July sailing. Maybe just wishful thinking, but at least it is on the move.

23 minutes ago, Thameside said:

Good Sign Maybe

Just noticed that Silhouette has moved from its anchorage in the Bahamas to Port Everglades, hopefully to pick up crew and provisions before heading across the pond for its 3rd July sailing. Maybe just wishful thinking, but at least it is on the move.

Yes looks hopeful! I think most if not all the crew are already on board - apparently they have just finished their 14 days of quarantine. Silhouette is due in Southampton on 25th June according to the port listing, so I guess she won’t be setting off for a few days. In the meantime there will be lots of crew training going on following the 15 month break in service.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, downsmead said:

I very much doubt cost is a consideration as there will be relatively few under 18’s onboard.

I read recently that 16-18 yr olds will be vaccinated. 
Could be soon.
Our 21 yr old granddaughter had her text last Thursday, inviting her to book an appointment, so our doctors must be doing well.(UK)

41 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

I read recently that 16-18 yr olds will be vaccinated. 
Could be soon.
Our 21 yr old granddaughter had her text last Thursday, inviting her to book an appointment, so our doctors must be doing well.(UK)

Yes, we are hoping our SIL who is 29 will have his first one soon. Our daughter has already had her first one and so we are hoping we may be able to do a cruise together towards the end of the summer.

Do you think there will be loads of children onboard these British Isles cruises?

Not that I mind children, but I made the mistake of booking in half term once and , let’s just say it was a totally different experience from cruising when the kids are in school.

• Like 1

Possibly less kids on Silhouette as other cruise lines have more attractions for youngsters.

Virtuosa has a water slide and Royal Caribbean has the flow rider. P&O would be more suitable for families too.

1 hour ago, gonecroozin said:

Do you think there will be loads of children onboard these British Isles cruises?

Not that I mind children, but I made the mistake of booking in half term once and , let’s just say it was a totally different experience from cruising when the kids are in school.

I’m sure there will be children on these cruises. The number on Silhouette may be limited by (a) the Celebrity trips are among the more expensive of the numerous cruise options and (b) - in the case of the earlier cruises particularly - their adult parents or guardians will have to be fully vaccinated plus two weeks, thus limiting the numbers of young “grown-ups”.

I agree that it might be a totally different experience but one that we have always enjoyed and will be another sign that we are getting back to normality.

• Like 1

It is only the seacation cruises restricted to UK residents, the other Southampton cruises are open to all.

There are six scheduled in September and October then the transatlantic in early November. The issue being whether the U.K. will be open to others then / will other countries allow travel to the U.K. Hopefully by then, international travel will have resumed.

Edited by downsmead

12 hours ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

I’m sure there will be children on these cruises. The number on Silhouette may be limited by (a) the Celebrity trips are among the more expensive of the numerous cruise options and (b) - in the case of the earlier cruises particularly - their adult parents or guardians will have to be fully vaccinated plus two weeks, thus limiting the numbers of young “grown-ups”.

PCR and Antigen test results dependent there will be at least 3 children on the 23rd July cruise. I agree that there are unlikely to be that many young families in a position by then that both parents will be fully vaccinated - our concern is actually that there might be so few on board that the kids club is not running which would clearly be a lot less relaxing for us and others on board . In fact if that is the case (no kids club) we will probably take an FCC for another time. 

10 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

Any idea when Southampton cruises will open to U.S passengers? 

Further to Downsmead’s reply, Princess continue to offer their 5 October British Isles cruise to all. Unless travel restrictions change then at some point I can see such cruises cancelled.

2 hours ago, oxmatt said:

PCR and Antigen test results dependent there will be at least 3 children on the 23rd July cruise. I agree that there are unlikely to be that many young families in a position by then that both parents will be fully vaccinated - our concern is actually that there might be so few on board that the kids club is not running which would clearly be a lot less relaxing for us and others on board . In fact if that is the case (no kids club) we will probably take an FCC for another time. 

They always run kids clubs but may join two or more groups together if numbers are very low...Can be a plus for the youngsters (more individual attention and more personalised program).