What is your Favorite Hot Entree during your Breakfast on board.........

BklynBoy8

I know most American's like the traditional breakfast of eggs, bacon or ham or sausage, home fries and buttered toast. With the side of assorted jellies.

I know ship board kitchens offer many other dishes. I remember but never tried on the QE2 - Haddock in Milk.

My favorite is Sunshiny side up eggs, smoky bacon or American Sausage, grill top shredded herbed potatoes and buttered english muffins.

In place of the Side Up eggs, a good Omelette properly made is even better.

BTW.....unless made right I am not a fan of oatmeal on the outside. If made right, brown sugar is great added taste.

9 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I know most American's like the traditional breakfast of eggs, bacon or ham or sausage, home fries and buttered toast. With the side of assorted jellies.

I know ship board kitchens offer many other dishes. I remember but never tried on the QE2 - Haddock in Milk.

My favorite is Sunshiny side up eggs, smoky bacon or American Sausage, grill top shredded herbed potatoes and buttered english muffins.

In place of the Side Up eggs, a good Omelette properly made is even better.

BTW.....unless made right I am not a fan of oatmeal on the outside. If made right, brown sugar is great added taste.

Creamed Fin and Haddie aka Findon Haddock can be an exquisite dish served on toast, or in your case, on brioche.  It makes a great breakfast.  Another close relative to Fin and Haddie, served in Maine, is Chowder and Blueberry Muffin.  

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Creamed Fin and Haddie aka Findon Haddock can be an exquisite dish served on toast, or in your case, on brioche.  It makes a great breakfast.  Another close relative to Fin and Haddie, served in Maine, is Chowder and Blueberry Muffin.  

In all my years since we started to sail on the QE2 to the last sailing on the QM2, I Never Saw Anyone Order That.

I have job on the next sailing to ask my waiters how many people order it and also what particular sailing does one possible order the dish. 

I know it’s important to respect other cultures... but eating fish for breakfast is a step too far for me. Nope, not gonna do it. Not gonna try it. Not on a boat. Not with a... well, you know the story. 

As to the question - favorite hot breakfast meal would be huevos rancheros 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I know it’s important to respect other cultures... but eating fish for breakfast is a step too far for me. Nope, not gonna do it. Not gonna try it. Not on a boat. Not with a... well, you know the story. 

As to the question - favorite hot breakfast meal would be huevos rancheros 

LOL!!  Now there’s one dish I could never have for breakfast!!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Those from the UK like the Haddock in Milk just like they also love their Kippers.

My Dad always looked forward to Kippers on Cunard Vessels like their is nothing like a Good Smoke Salmon on a Bagel with fixings...

Usually only offered on an Alaskan cruise, but an omelet with Dungeness Crab is enjoyed by me.  

A good Corned Beef Hash and Poached Eggs (poached medium and not hard) is delicious as well.  

HAL's breakfast menu has offered Swedish Pancakes which are like crepes with a Lingonberry Sauce.  Delicious!  

For a simple breakfast, though, nothing compares with a properly prepared croissant with butter, a glass of Guava Juice, and a cup of coffee.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A well made Eggs Benedict is always something I love.  The eggs need to be poached perfectly........for me that is a runny yolk and a cooked white and the English Muffin needs to be fully toasted......not grilled, but TOASTED.  Yes, call me picky, but a slightly warmed muffin just doesn't do it for me.

And to the person who doesn't like fish? We all have different tastes and that is ok, it is what makes the world go round. I LOVE lox and bagels.......doesn't make either of right or wrong, just that we have different tastes.  Life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

A well made Eggs Benedict is always something I love.  The eggs need to be poached perfectly........for me that is a runny yolk and a cooked white and the English Muffin needs to be fully toasted......not grilled, but TOASTED.  Yes, call me picky, but a slightly warmed muffin just doesn't do it for me.

And to the person who doesn't like fish? We all have different tastes and that is ok, it is what makes the world go round. I LOVE lox and bagels.......doesn't make either of right or wrong, just that we have different tastes.  Life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things.

Loxs need a good bagel lightly toasted, proper cream cheese and Vidalia Onion sliced..

EB also proper English Muffin, Ham, Fresh Egg and Hollandaise a MUST! Egg needs to be bit runny on to the muffin to absorb. 

53 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Loxs need a good bagel lightly toasted, proper cream cheese and Vidalia Onion sliced..

EB also proper English Muffin, Ham, Fresh Egg and Hollandaise a MUST! Egg needs to be bit runny on to the muffin to absorb. 

Hi, I was raised on the first........I like my bagel toasted more on the well done side.......no onions for me.

Just cream cheese and lox. And you can get much better of both than I can......

20 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I was raised on the first........I like my bagel toasted more on the well done side.......no onions for me.

Just cream cheese and lox. And you can get much better of both than I can......

Sorry you can't get our variety in the Fla we get in NYC...Lox is milder. Nova can be challenging with the salt content. Only got it once in awhile if want to.

IMHO.... Ring onion does add something.

In the summer I like to take a package (4oz) to make a cold summer dinner. Toasted White Bread strips. Thin Slices of Lox. Chopped Red Onion, Chopped Egg Yolks and Whites. On the side Whipped Cream Cheese. Ready elegant summer's entree.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry you can't get our variety in the Fla we get in NYC...Lox is milder. Nova can be challenging with the salt content. Only got it once in awhile if want to.

IMHO.... Ring onion does add something.

In the summer I like to take a package (4oz) to make a cold summer dinner. Toasted White Bread strips. Thin Slices of Lox. Chopped Red Onion, Chopped Egg Yolks and Whites. On the side Whipped Cream Cheese. Ready elegant summer's entree.

I am sure in South Florida they have bagels much closer to NY style......I am in the northern part of the state---350 miles north of Miami........we don't even have a real deli here😲

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

I am sure in South Florida they have bagels much closer to NY style......I am in the northern part of the state---350 miles north of Miami........we don't even have a real deli here😲

In the NYC city we have many people that try to copy a NYC Bagel. But they are true bagels, too soft, too dense and some taste like cake. I am surprised that some of the Northern transplants can't make a good one. I know we all say up here it's the water.

We have aPizzeriae in Red Bank New Jersey that the owner came from Brooklyn and settled there. He actually brings in tankers of NYC water to his place to mix the dough. He's the hit over there especially for the New Yorker's that transplanted there. Real NY Pizza.

On 6/13/2021 at 2:45 PM, Lois R said:

A well made Eggs Benedict is always something I love.  The eggs need to be poached perfectly........for me that is a runny yolk and a cooked white and the English Muffin needs to be fully toasted......

On 6/13/2021 at 6:09 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

B also proper English Muffin, Ham, Fresh Egg and Hollandaise a MUST! Egg needs to be bit runny on to the muffin to absorb. 

Agree with both of you!  And, that is what my poached eggs to be like when I order Corned Beef Hash.  

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Agree with both of you!  And, that is what my poached eggs to be like when I order Corned Beef Hash.  

English muffins need to be grilled on the flat top with butter…so much better than toasted.  I’ve yet to find a decent hash at sea.  Probably because it needs to be grilled until crusty.  I actually prefer a roast beef hash over corned beef hash.  

44 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

English muffins need to be grilled on the flat top with butter…so much better than toasted.  I’ve yet to find a decent hash at sea.  Probably because it needs to be grilled until crusty.  I actually prefer a roast beef hash over corned beef hash.  

That is where we differ........I just love my English Muffin toasted......well done......that makes it crusty😃

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I actually prefer a roast beef hash over corned beef hash.  

Muffin crusty?  Hash of of corned beef or roast beef?  

Really have no preference for the "beef", but the entire entree, if it is well prepared, in my opinion, ought to be "crusty".  

And, the name of the Chef on what ship that will consistently produce such an entree is.....?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Muffin crusty?  Hash of of corned beef or roast beef?  

Really have no preference for the "beef", but the entire entree, if it is well prepared, in my opinion, ought to be "crusty".  

And, the name of the Chef on what ship that will consistently produce such an entree is.....?  

The guy up by the pool in the YC who cooks breakfast almost every morning.  He’ll cook the muffins, hash and eggs any way you like!

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Totally agree that hash deserves a crispy on it.

I haven't ordered in a dining room yet on board. I know ???? the one displayed in the Kings Court is not inviting. You can see it on You Tube of QM2 Breakfast. On a warming tray with accompaniments beside it. Interesting for the next time only in dining room. To tell a waiter, well done for the crisp.

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Never had a poached egg with Hash. Sunny Side Up I favor. 

I don't really use a EM to put hash on than the PE. Agree Hash crusty. As a surface for Egg.

22 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Never had a poached egg with Hash. Sunny Side Up I favor. 

An interesting idea if the Chef on one's ship cannot produce a Poached Egg that is not so overly done that the yolk is unable to coat the Hash.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

An interesting idea if the Chef on one's ship cannot produce a Poached Egg that is not so overly done that the yolk is unable to coat the Hash.  

My structure is on the plate, hash bottom, next dab of ketchup then Sunny Side Egg on the top.

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Absolutely!  Once upon a time I went to MDR onboard RCI and ordered Eggs Benedict.  They tried to serve me two poached eggs that were rocks on English Muffins that hadn’t even been toasted.  I simply got up and left the table.  

• Haha 1