What is your Favorite Hot Entree during your Breakfast on board.........

BklynBoy8

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Absolutely!  Once upon a time I went to MDR onboard RCI and ordered Eggs Benedict.  They tried to serve me two poached eggs that were rocks on English Muffins that hadn’t even been toasted.  I simply got up and left the table.  

We had an experience which was disappointing since the chef at this Hudson Valley resort is top notched.

They started during reconstruction of the kitchen serving breakfast and meals buffet style to make it easy.

But when I saw on the menu Eggs Benedict I couldn't wait. Till I was on line and saw it being constructed. Eggs made in the kitchen and maintained in a hot water bath. Yes English Muffin. Ham was not traditional Canadian. But sometimes different which wasn't bad especially the one smoked. And the Hollandaise was not ladled on but poured from a Plastic Bottle. WHAT!!!!

Well I kept a open mind. But the egg slide off the muffin being wet on top of the ham. Sauce runny and thick. DISAPPOINTED! Being a lover of Benedict. So CGT, know what you mean and felt!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

My structure is on the plate, hash bottom, next dab of ketchup then Sunny Side Egg on the top.

Why ketchup?  Many do enjoy this condiment with their eggs.  But, why?  What is that condiment adding that I am missing?  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Why ketchup?  Many do enjoy this condiment with their eggs.  But, why?  What is that condiment adding that I am missing?  

It adds a certain flavor that appeals to many.

Like my DW adds Ketchup to her Potato & Eggs that I make for her.

32 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Corned beef/roast beef hash…always with ketchup…just a dab.

Sorry, but never ??? heard of RB hash. I know of the corned beef with it's fatty composition adds to the crust in a frying pan. But RB, interesting.....

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry, but never ??? heard of RB hash. I know of the corned beef with it's fatty composition adds to the crust in a frying pan. But RB, interesting.....

Ground roast beef makes a great hash.  You see it every once in a while usually in diners.  When I had my restaurant I was able to buy 50 lbs of beef fore shanks, legs, at a time…50 cents per pound!  I would throw them in a big stock pot and make beef stock.  Once the stock was boiled down I would fish out the beef parts and separate the meat from the bones.  The stock would make wonderful sauces, gravies, soups (especially onion soup) and the left over beef would make the best RB hash you ever tasted.  A big platter of RB hash, eggs and hash browns was raved about.  I could get at least 50 or more servings of RB hash out of that stock pot.  We had the stock pot working 7 days a week.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

Hi friends......I am not sure who is a Dad on here but whoever, Happy Father's Day to all of you😃

My dad was my best friend and I miss him every day......especially today. We would always watch the US OPEN final round together......he loved golf🙂..........so if any of you are Dads or have them.......

give each other a big hug today.

Happy Father's Day! | Nacht & Lewis

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi friends......I am not sure who is a Dad on here but whoever, Happy Father's Day to all of you😃

My dad was my best friend and I miss him every day......especially today. We would always watch the US OPEN final round together......he loved golf🙂..........so if any of you are Dads or have them.......

give each other a big hug today.

Happy Father's Day! | Nacht & Lewis

This was Dad's 6th Year without enjoying going out to his favorite restaurants. Been a chef, we really went to some great restaurants of every level. Never disappointed.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Your Dad was a chef? How cool is that😃

Yes and I was suppose to go to the CIA in Hyde Park, NY..... But had other thoughts. So I had a good teacher and it was like going to the Culinary Institute from the age 6.. Don't let me loose in a supermarket or speciality store. It's like letting me loose in a (Food) Toy Store....lol

8 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Yes and I was suppose to go to the CIA in Hyde Park, NY..... But had other thoughts. So I had a good teacher and it was like going to the Culinary Institute from the age 6.. Don't let me loose in a supermarket or speciality store. It's like letting me loose in a (Food) Toy Store....lol

That is really neat😃 you live in a wonderful city for food choices, that is for sure!!!!

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

I like crisp bacon and corned beef hash with a dab of HP sauce.  No eggs for me.....ever.

Hi Teabag..🙂 you sound like Guy Fieri  from Food Network.......he hosts all these food shows but does not eat eggs....ever.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:43 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

This was Dad's 6th Year without enjoying going out to his favorite restaurants. Been a chef, we really went to some great restaurants of every level. Never disappointed.

Having a father who was a chef.  How great is that?  I’m sure he taught you well.  
What could be better than having an expert prepare your meals?

My parents always insisted that we go to college but my father always advised we should have a trade as well.  My brother was a builder and furniture maker and I was a builder and a chef…along with our professions.  I can’t think of anything more honorable than working as a chef or a furniture maker.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 2:10 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

roast beef makes a great hash.

Yes, I have had that, but not as often as it is available as Corned Beef Hash.  Both are delicious.  Maybe I smother them too much with the poached eggs on top of them?  

• 2 months later...

Went last month to land based B&B for breakfast and was served pile of pancakes with whip cream and blueberries compote.

Of course asked for it removed and just go old maple syrup from Vermont on it.

Don't care for cakes and waffles with toppings.  

On 9/3/2021 at 10:43 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Went last month to land based B&B for breakfast and was served pile of pancakes with whip cream and blueberries compote.

Of course asked for it removed and just go old maple syrup from Vermont on it.

Don't care for cakes and waffles with toppings.  

I prefer a syrup topping, but a fruit topping, such as blueberries or strawberries is OK as long as some syrup is supplied.  I can brush aside the fruit and enjoy them separately.  "Whipped cream"  (really?)  no:  Leave that off!

Swedish Pancakes are really crepes with a Lingonberry topping, a creamy type of filling, with a dollop of "whipped cream".  I love them when I can get them!  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Swedish Pancakes are really crepes with a Lingonberry topping, a creamy type of filling, with a dollop of "whipped cream".  I love them when I can get them!  

We make SP's at home and enjoy them.

Use to order German Pancake at the famous German Restaurant in NYC called Luchow's during the old days. Use to be made table side.

We also use to like SP's and others at the Old Chain called International House of Pancakes not around anymore.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We also use to like SP's and others at the Old Chain called International House of Pancakes not around anymore.

IHOP has had a difficult history; once "big".  Faded and, in my community, disappeared.  Your post reminded me that I think I had read that there was one restaurant that has started in Dayton.  After searching, in the northern part of Dayton, along I-75 in an area that has many hotels and restaurants, there is an IHOP.  Checking their menu, they do offer what they call Swedish Crepes:  "Four delicate crepes topped with sweet-tart Lingonberries and Lingonberry Butter".  The photo of the dish shows the crepes to be lightly dusted with powdered sugar.  There is no filling for the crepes as what I remember from previous ones that I have had on HAL.  But, the crepes look good.  Going to have to try them.   

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:59 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

We make SP's at home and enjoy them.

Use to order German Pancake at the famous German Restaurant in NYC called Luchow's during the old days. Use to be made table side.

You would have loved the TS Bremen BB.  They had the best breakfasts I ever experienced.  German pancakes with cherries or whortelberries or apples to name a few.  The standout was the Thuringian breakfast sausage.  The absolute best breakfast sausage I ever tasted.

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

whortelberries

Your post required more use of Wikipedia by me.  These look like Blueberries, but seem to be related to Huckleberries.  

Thuringian breakfast sausage

More use of Wikipedia:  another German wurst that seems to be unique in its own way.  

You would have loved the TS Bremen BB.  They had the best breakfasts I ever experienced.

Being of part German ancestry, I really think I missed a cruising opportunity by not cruising on the Bremen.  But, as I have said in many other posts, my choice was the Bremen or Rotterdam V.  I remain pleased with my choice of the Rotterdam.

We have great memories RK.  Your comment on whortelberries cracked me up…lol.  We will continue to stimulate your culinary knowledge!

Your choice of Rotterdam over Bremen was a good one.  My second choice was Rotterdam.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, capncarp said:

Are potato pancakes ever a breakfast offering?  Regular pancakes have a small attraction for me, but a pile of crispy spud griddlecakes is heaven to my palate.

Not on board.....Some cruise ships do hand out Mc Donald type Hash Browns out that are very crispy. But not as a dish w Apple Sauce &/or Sour Cream..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Not on board.....Some cruise ships do hand out Mc Donald type Hash Browns out that are very crispy. But not as a dish w Apple Sauce &/or Sour Cream..

And those are not even close to a real latka😀......(pancake).......

• Like 1