I’m not a snob

kasowell2

I’m really not a snob but wanted to ask this question to those that cruise in suites. We’ve only been in a suite once before. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will be sailing on the Edge July 17th. Those that have cruised in suites, what’s the first thing you do when getting on the ship?

• Like 1

Usually our stateroom won't be available for a couple of hours, so we head straight for Michael's Club or Retreat (as the case may be) for a "beverage" and toast our continued excellent retirement.

Edited by El Crucero
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, kasowell2 said:

I’m really not a snob but wanted to ask this question to those that cruise in suites. We’ve only been in a suite once before. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will be sailing on the Edge July 17th. Those that have cruised in suites, what’s the first thing you do when getting on the ship?

Throw back that first glass of champagne like I’ve never had one.. oh, wait, sorry, no, that’s not what you meant...

Edge and Equinox are a little different than some of the other ships in that you go to your cabin first, get your key out of the door and drop off your hand luggage. Steward or butler may come by if you tarry any time at all, but that visit may be just a fluke - the steward wants you out of the room to finish cleaning and prep.

Next we go to the Retreat Lounge to find out what part of the Luminae rotation we are on. We also check any reservations we have made for any specialty restaurants and/or make those reservations with the concierge.

After establishing our bone fides with the Retreat bartender, it’s lunchtime! That Luminae lunch is not to be missed. Then back to the cabin for unpacking and off to sail away. Check your cabin for  invitations to Helipad sail away.

Note: Sadly, a lot of this will change with Covid sailings, from what I understand, embarkation times will be later and enforced and we don’t know what that will do to the Luminae lunch.

Full disclosure, I’ve sailed on Edge, but not in a suite, I’ve done suites on Equinox and Reflection, but part of the Equinox Revolution was to adopt the Edge boarding procedures, so this was accurate pre-Covid

I believe the new standard op is for your room key to be available in your cabin when you board, even if the steward is not fully prepared for you.  That means you can drop your carry ons  somewhere other than the pool deck...then go explore and enjoy.  Oh yes...and the Martini Bar beckons.

Edited by marieps
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Throw back that first glass of champagne like I’ve never had one.. oh, wait, sorry, no, that’s not what you meant...

Edge and Equinox are a little different than some of the other ships in that you go to your cabin first, get your key out of the door and drop off your hand luggage. Steward or butler may come by if you tarry any time at all, but that visit may be just a fluke - the steward wants you out of the room to finish cleaning and prep.

Next we go to the Retreat Lounge to find out what part of the Luminae rotation we are on. We also check any reservations we have made for any specialty restaurants and/or make those reservations with the concierge.

After establishing our bone fides with the Retreat bartender, it’s lunchtime! That Luminae lunch is not to be missed. Then back to the cabin for unpacking and off to sail away. Check your cabin for  invitations to Helipad sail away.

Note: Sadly, a lot of this will change with Covid sailings, from what I understand, embarkation times will be later and enforced and we don’t know what that will do to the Luminae lunch.

Full disclosure, I’ve sailed on Edge, but not in a suite, I’ve done suites on Equinox and Reflection, but part of the Equinox Revolution was to adopt the Edge boarding procedures, so this was accurate pre-Covid

What is "Luminea rotation" ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

Firstly can I address the ‘I am not a snob...’ and reassure you that most Suite guests are not snobs either...They are simply cruisers who have been willing to spend a bit more for a nicer room, access to a bar with more of a club feel, access to a smaller restaurant and a bit more personalised service. 

On boarding we usually head for the Retreat/Michael’s and enjoy a champagne, say hello to the concierge and then drop our hand luggage off before heading to Luminae for lunch. We also love the Luminae burgers but as we always book Tuscan first night we will just order the burger and not a starter or dessert.

After lunch we will unpack and ‘settle’ into our suite. We will check a few requests made through the shoreside concierge (bar set up, pillows...) and know that both the butler and room attendant will shortly knock on to introduce themselves. Meeting the butler and room attendant is always nice.

After muster we like to watch sail away from our suite. Glass in hand we toast to ‘making it count’...I am sure this will be a very poignant moment next time we board.

We book Tuscan early first night hoping that we can still see some of the coastline in the distance. I think it is as we enjoy the wake views, musing over the menu (although we know exactly what we are going to order!) that we really feel our vacation has begun...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I wondered about the rotation bit as well but I am thinking it refers to which  menus are being used - for example out of the 14 days (I think) of menus which ones are being used that cruise.
Couple of things I can help with - we are on an Athens sailing (hopefully!) in a suite and we got an 11.30 embarkation time - now I’m sure it will take longer to get onboard but the app does show lunch in Luminae and other places. Of course it could be different elsewhere and we all know the app can change. But on Instagram some of the crew have been studying that first day’s lunch menu! 
Also the comment somewhere about the app being the key - I’m sure it can be used for that (we used it on Edge) but I am sure keys will still be available - better be otherwise I’m stuck with my 87 year old mum all the time as she doesn’t have a smart phone! 
Wendy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like to have a drink, celebrate being on board.  Greet concierge in retreat, enjoy truffle fries for lunch, then catch up with friends on board.  After that anything goes, I like to not make plans and go with the moment, work is stressful and I don’t want to live by the clock on holiday.  

• Like 2

I'm looking at a suite for this sailing as well.

If you're in a suite, is getting a chair in the Retreat pool area the same mess as the main pool deck, with people saving seats and abandoning them?  Or are chairs readily available?

12 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

7 hours ago, marieps said:

I believe the new standard op is for your room key to be available in your cabin when you board, even if the steward is not fully prepared for you.  That means you can drop your carry ons  somewhere other than the pool deck...then go explore and enjoy.  Oh yes...and the Martini Bar beckons.

Yup, when you get on board your room is ready to go, drop off your carry ons and get your keys in the room.   We did that and then went to Luminae for lunch before it gets too busy.  

6 hours ago, sonnycruises said:

What is "Luminea rotation" ?

Luminae rotates through a 14 day menu. We usually go to to at least one specialty,  so sometimes we try to pick the night that we are least happy with the menu and book specialty that night. Not always, not usually, honestly, but checking the menu at Luminae is an option.

• Like 1

I find it a bit humorous😀 that you started your post with "I'm really not a snob".  It is really OK to sail in suites and to ask questions about them here on CC.  Your money and your choice.  Just ignore the negative responses from those posters with suite envy.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

For us (two Celebrity cruises, both in suites), we go from our hotel to the cruise terminal, spend time in line for check-in (usually not too long), possibly wait for some Customs issue to be handled before they let us on the ship (can be long), go through security, walk on board, and find Michael's Club (haven't been on a Revolutionized ship yet). At that point, the first thing we do is find the nearest toilet, since it has now been a few hours and we did have a bit of coffee that morning at breakfast.

Except for the Michael's Club part, not sure how that would be different if we weren't in a suite.

The pick up the key, drop the luggage worked well, but may change with Covid. If you use a smartphone altogether, then you might not get the opportunity to drop off luggage. All that could change again in a few months if Covid remains at least somewhat controlled and cruises proceed without significant incident/

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I find it a bit humorous😀 that you started your post with "I'm really not a snob".  It is really OK to sail in suites and to ask questions about them here on CC.  Your money and your choice.  Just ignore the negative responses from those posters with suite envy.  

The title was sorta tongue and cheek comment

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I thought the app now replaced the room key?

That may be true.  Only time I've been on a Revved ship was the Edge and I seem to remember a key. That was March 2019.  

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

No, as not everyone uses a smart phone with an app. 

We have smart phones but I like to go "bagless" on board and the little ship card is easier to "tote" than a smart phone.  We use the visuals in the elevator lobby when we need to check for information.  I am sure we will do the "app" but hate to carry the phone along all the time.  I guess I need to get with the program.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marieps said:

That may be true.  Only time I've been on a Revved ship was the Edge and I seem to remember a key. That was March 2019.  

The app is an option but not a replacement for your Seapass card no matter the function. 

• Like 2

We go to Michael's for a glass of champagne, then head to our suite as soon as it is ready.  We are usually in a CS so we both just reflect at how lucky we are to be where we are, then head to Luminae for lunch, where hopefully we will meet up with friends.  Attend a CC sailaway party for a bit and then head to the suite to enjoy wine on the balcony as we sail away.

Probably not much different than anyone else except for Luminae, which is just wonderful.

I am sure I will burst into tears when I step on board the next time though......tears of joy and relief that the world is getting back to a kind of normal. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1